Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Metallic Reflection Effect?

Feb 13, 2014 1:12 PM

Hello,

I was wondering if there was an effect from the effects panel in After Effects CS6 that could make an object (text) look metallic/reflective. I kind of want it to look like the 3D text screensaver on Windows...

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Jack Reynolds

Reynolds Films 2014

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 13, 2014 2:17 PM   in reply to Reynolds Films 2014

I would investigate the coolness of AE's Fractal Noise effect applied to a solid.  If you play with the effect controls for scaling -- NOT the layer's scale property -- you can get some nifty patterns which are dead ringers for metallic reflection.

Use the text as a track matte, precomp the two layers, apply hue/saturation, colorama, a little blur.... there you go.  It's one of those things where you can let your mind roam on the possibilites.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2014 1:35 PM   in reply to Reynolds Films 2014

You can extrude some text and use AE's built-in Ray-Traced rendering. This could be unbearably slow unless you have a specific kind of GPU in your computer.

You can fake it with the Shatter effect. This will possibly render faster than the ray-traced render and is a tried and true method for faking 3d in AE for over a decade.

Or you can get a third-party plugin like ShapeShifter, Element 3d, or 3d Invigorator. This is the fastest option to render (depending on your GPU) and is probably your best bet unless.

Or you can upgrade to AE CC and use C4D Lite!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2014 1:47 AM   in reply to Szalam

Layers, glints, blend modes. Look at any Photoshop tutorial on Metallic Text and start there. Here's number 1 on my search:

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photoshop-text/text-effects/metal-t ext/

Try the same techniques in AE. Layers, textures, blend modes, Layer styles or a bunch of other options.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points