Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

H264 issue with Prem CC

Feb 13, 2014 7:00 PM

We have 4 suites all running CC and all up to date. Prem 7.2.1 (4)

A common and almost essential delivery format we use is a H264 MOV file.

Since possibly the last 2 updates we can no longer create any H264 MOV files with the pixel aspect ratio of PAL 720x576 widescreen.

All outputs seem to always be at a square pixel aspect regardless. Playback of file with Quicktime pro will show you (in info panel) that:

Current h264 settings.png

Where as the with possibly a couple of versions back the info would be as follows:

Old correct aspect.png

So as you can see there is definately an issue.

I will report this as a bug also, but if anyone can find a fix that would be awesome.

Please note we have checked these settings thouroughly on all four machines, it is definately inherant with the latest update and we definately do not have any settings incorrect. We have also used presets created in earlier working CC versions

Cheers

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 13, 2014 8:13 PM   in reply to Butch2oc

If you show us a screen shot of the export screen, we might be able to see the problem.

I just tried to export a timeline as PAL DV Widescreen and it appears to be able to do that.

Capture.PNG

And when I import it back into Premiere Pro  it shows as widescreen with wide pixels:

Capture.PNG

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 13, 2014 9:44 PM   in reply to Butch2oc

I get the same results with the H.264 codec.

Have you looked at it in Premiere Pro or After Effects or just with Quicktime? Most players have trouble with anything other than square pixels. Why look for trouble? When I play the video in Quicktime it comes out wrong. Squeezed into square pixels. But I expected as much. Try playing it with a player capable of recognizing the non-square pixels.

I have a question though. Why would you want to use non-square pixels for anything other than DV? What would be the point?

Really, if you want to use the Quicktime player, a sad little player in my opinion, then export as square pixels so it can recognize them.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2014 5:53 AM   in reply to Butch2oc

OK, that is two problems then.

1. If you want H.264, why not use the MP4 extension instead of the MOV wrapper? Just select H.264 instead of Quicktime in the export settings.

2. I still don't understand why the people you are sending it to want non-square pixels if their equipment can't handle non-square pixels properly?

Do you have a document from the broadcast company that indicates "exactly" what they are asking for?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2014 5:21 PM   in reply to Butch2oc

I never said their equipment cant handle non square pixels properly. They can

OK, but they aren't, or Adobe has a problem. But will they accept square pixels at the correct 16:9 ratio? Or does it have to be non-square pixels?

I suppose this could be an Adobe bug if it is a new problem for you. Put in a bug report, but in the meantime you might have to find a workaround, like exporting using square pixels and converting in Quicktime Pro.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2014 5:38 PM   in reply to Butch2oc

OK, now it is getting confusing.

Quicktime does not see it as widescreen and neither does VLC. But iTunes does and so does After Effects and Premiere Pro. Photoshop sees it as widescreen but warns me that it is a non-square PAR.

I wonder if it is just some non-standard setting in a header that Adobe got wrong. But if iTunes sees it right, there might be more than one place where the info needs to be. I suppose a little browsing with a hex editor could help if you have one file that worked and one that didn't.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2014 5:51 PM   in reply to Butch2oc

I just tried this with CS6 and had the same problem. Curiouser and curiouser.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 4:36 PM   in reply to Butch2oc

@Butch2oc - I'm not seeing the issue but I could have easily missed a key piece of the equation. Would you be interested in doing a screensharing session with me so we can dive in to the issue?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 5:09 PM   in reply to Butch2oc

Ok, I see where I went wrong. I was checking in QT 10. I missed where you guys stated it was fine in 10 but broken in 7. Sorry for the confusion. I will check with the devs and see if we can't figure out where things went sideways.

Tom

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 5:30 PM   in reply to Butch2oc

Hey Butch2oc

Why dont you give Dubsat MPEG-2?

Thats in their spec sheet for SD .

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 6:48 PM   in reply to Butch2oc

Are you able to use ADstream instead?

I find their spec and requirement more Quality minded and more lexible.

Their new spec is far more friendly than previous.

I use MXF-OP1A  with them.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points