Skip navigation
T-Hans
Currently Being Moderated

Why can't I hear my video's audio?

Feb 14, 2014 2:33 PM

Tags: #problem #error #video #audio #premiere #playback #elements #volume #mute #12

I am new to Premiere Elements 12 and I don'tcknow what to do.  I recorded some footage using an Elgato Capture Card and I would like to edit it. The video is about 2 hours long.

Now I use to be able to her the audio but only for like 2 minutes but then it would go mute. Now I don't hear it at all.

HOWEVER when I use smaller videos (1-10 mins) I can hear it no problem,

WHAT DO I DO!?!?!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 14, 2014 3:32 PM   in reply to T-Hans

Welcome to the forum.

First, a few questions please:

1. What OS version are you running PrE 12 on?
    2. What are the full specs. of the files from the El Gato Capture Card? If these are muxed (both a Video & Audio Stream in one file), please list the full specs. of both the Audio and the Video.
    3. When you Imported the El Gato files, did you allow Conforming to complete 100%. Failure to do so, is one of the main causes for Audio dropout, or truncated Audio. See this Tips & Tricks article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3892177#3892177

Good luck, and please let us know more.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2014 4:11 PM   in reply to T-Hans

That Conforming is stopping at 6-7% is likely causing what you are observing.

What is the total Duration of that AV file?

As Conforming writes the CFA and PEK files to the HDD (Hard Disk Drive), in the location that you direct it, do you have adequate free-space in that location?

Good luck, and thank you for that information.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2014 4:13 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Also, as a test, I would Delete that AV file from the Project, and then go to the location of the Media Cache files (the CFA's and PEK files) and Delete those also. Then, Import the file into the Project again, leaving the computer totally alone, until Conforming completes.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2014 4:20 PM   in reply to T-Hans

Thank you for that information.

With that Duration, the time to Conform will depend on the speed of you computer, the speed of the connection to that external HDD, and on how close that footage is to 48KHz 16-bit.

Good luck, and be very patient, letting it complete 100%.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2014 4:21 PM   in reply to T-Hans

Also, is your external HDD formatted to FAT32, or NTSF? The CFA files will be very large.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2014 7:23 PM   in reply to T-Hans

What is the format of that external HDD, FAT32, or NTSF?

If you Move the Scratch Disks>Media Cache to an internal, with plenty of free-space, does that Conforming complete 100%?

Good luck, and let us know more please.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2014 9:04 PM   in reply to T-Hans

T-Hans

To set the location of the Scratch Disks, please see Premiere Elements 12 Expert workspace Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks. There you will see the Scratch Disks categories. The one mentioned by Hunt was Media Cache is one of the Scratch Disk categories listed there. Each category has a path listed to it on the computer hard drive and the free space at that location.

All the Scratch Disks, not only the one for Media Cache (Conformed Audio), should be directed to a hard drive save location with enough free space to accept them as they are generated automatically by certain activities in the opened project.

Where are all those Scratch Disks directed and how much free space is at the location to which each is pointed?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2014 9:13 PM   in reply to T-Hans

T-Hans

It might be a good idea for you to mention how many drives your computer has, what the capacity is of each, and how much free hard drive space is there for each drive. I see mention of only one external hard drive with about 300 GB of free space. What about the Local Disk C?

Also, have you said how much installed and available RAM your computer has?

Is your Windows 8, 64 bit?

If 2 hours plus duration and

Type of file: MP4 Video (.mp4)

Size: 22.5 GB

that is a large file. Have you ever edited a file that large before in the present computer environment and your Premiere Elements 12?

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 14, 2014 9:34 PM   in reply to T-Hans

T-Hans

Great news. Great job.

Glad for your success.

Thanks for the follow up with the good news.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2014 7:51 AM   in reply to T-Hans

Excellent!

Thank you for reporting your success.

Good luck, and happy editing.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This