• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How much space is required on C:\ when installing Illustrator CC on a different drive?

New Here ,
Feb 15, 2014 Feb 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Creative Cloud > [Settings] > Preferences Apps > Installation Location set to a folder on a standard disk drive on my system that has oceans of space on it.  All of my Creative Cloud apps have installed just fine on it except for Illustrator CC.  Every time I try to install Illustrator CC I get an error message that says

"Insufficient disk space to extract files.  Please clear space on C:\ and try again.(EX10)

The problem here is that my C:\ is on an SSD so space on that dirve is kind of tight.  Even so, I started the process with more than 1GB of space free (if I had to guess I'd say 1.5GB) and now after the failure I have  539MB free.  How much space do I have to clear on C:\ to get my illustrator CC installation to actually work?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Feb 16, 2014 Feb 16, 2014

Simply redefine your system's "Temp" variables. My Computer --> Right-click --> Properties --> Advanced System Settings --> Environment Variables. Likewise, move your user folders to the other drive via your user management. You are trying to attack the problem in the wrong place. Just flushing out leftovers and temp files will never free up enough space, if you are realyl that tight.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 16, 2014 Feb 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply redefine your system's "Temp" variables. My Computer --> Right-click --> Properties --> Advanced System Settings --> Environment Variables. Likewise, move your user folders to the other drive via your user management. You are trying to attack the problem in the wrong place. Just flushing out leftovers and temp files will never free up enough space, if you are realyl that tight.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2014 Feb 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, yes, that's a good tip and basically did the trick for me.  I had already moved my other standard folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, etc.) off my C: long ago so I should have thought of moving Temp as well.  The one detail that took me a couple of tries to sort out, however, was that redefining %TEMP% doesn't actually help because (apparently) the Illustrator CC installation does not use it at all.  You really just need to redefine %TMP% and then it will work.

Over the course of events I ended up restarting my system between redefining %TMP% and successfully installing Illustrator CC.  I don't know if that's absolutely necessary, but it worked for me.

For the record, during the installation process I occasionally checked the size of the directory I used for %TMP%.  The value fluctuated more than I thought it would, but the highest value I saw was 4.5GB while the installer was extracting whatever files it needed from the download.  I think that represents some sort of lower bound on the minimum size you would need on C: if you didn't want to monkey around with the dark arts of environment variables.

Thanks for your help!

See ya,

Bernard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,

facing the same issue. How to move temp folder to another drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is about Premiere Pro, but may help with ideas

Drive C space http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1007934?tstart=0 see reply 4 for the setting that you need to manually change to a different drive... and then delete any old temp files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines