Skip navigation
Christian De Meyer
Currently Being Moderated

Downloading PDF files from reliable web-sites U-R-G-E-N-T

Feb 16, 2014 3:53 AM

Hi,

Since last year I encounter regular (close to 100%) problems downloading PDF files from reliable web-sites (for sure web-sites from which I could troubleless download PDF files in the past) The result on my HDD : 0KB pdf file ! = An empty file

This is very anoying and I am sure I am not the only one who encounters this.

Please review your procedures and make this possible again.

Note: I uninstalled Adobe Reader, reset Safari, closed Safari, re-installed Adobe Reader : no results !

THANKS FOR HELPING ASAP !

I travel a lot and have to bring my files with me as internet is not always available in the countries where I work

Christian

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 16, 2014 4:36 AM   in reply to Christian De Meyer

It would be nice if these problems were caused by Adobe's procedures, but I think it unlikely.

If you would like help, please give full details.

1  What is your system (e.g. Windows 7, Mac OS Lion, iPad...)

2  Please give ONE page with a PDF on it that does not work for you, so that we can try it. Give the http:... address.

3  When you click on the link to the PDF, do you see the PDF in your browser, or not?

4  How do you download the file? What do you do, or click? What happens?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2014 3:11 PM   in reply to Christian De Meyer

I used Save As to save a copy of the open file in your link to my desktop. It did so correctly in my Mac, with Safari and with Firefox.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2014 1:35 PM   in reply to Christian De Meyer

My office is experiencing a similar problem. We have 12 workstations, Win7 SP1 64 bit. Our server is Server 2008. We are using Adobe Reader XI. We use Outlook as our email client and have Exchange Server on the server.

We use a Canon copier to "scan" documents - the copier scans and emails the document back to the workstation as pdf file. The scanned document reaches the workstation/Outlook with no problems. The user opens the file/document and all is well. We then do "Save As" and save the scanned/document/pdf to a network folder on the server. This process happens dozens of times each day. Occasionally, one of those "saved as" files will end up being a 0kb file. It gives no error, no warning. We discover it later (sometimes days later) when we try to open the file. Does anyone have any ideas why? Or any idea where to begin looking for answers?

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2014 12:56 PM   in reply to Christian De Meyer

This is not Adobe, they are not here to answer.

Does the Save icon in the Adobe Reader window do the same?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2014 5:02 PM   in reply to Christian De Meyer

I have no problems downloading adobe_reader_reference.pdf; the size is 738KB.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2014 7:30 PM   in reply to Christian De Meyer

I am having exactly the same problem Christian and it's doing my head in. It is so frustrating. I have uninstalled and then reinstalled about 3 times. I have spent ages on the phone to apple support and they have tried to help but said it is an Adobe issue as nothing they did worked.

I rang Adobe and because it is free software they wanted me to pay $48.00 for technical support so they could help me. I thought that was a bit unfair, so he advised me to come to the forum for support.

It seems as though a lot of people are having the same issue with no way of solving the problems unless we want to spend the money to get the help.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2014 12:00 AM   in reply to Christian De Meyer

Download the file to a local disc and then open the file with Adobe Reader.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2014 1:17 AM   in reply to Christian De Meyer

Downloading a PDF from a website does not necessarily involve Adobe Reader.

On Windows you would right-click on a PDF link, then select Save Target as... (or Save Link as...).

I don't know how to do that on a Mac, but there must be a similar method.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2014 12:21 PM   in reply to Pat Willener

In my situation, it is nothing to do with a website. The documents are pdf attachments to emails. But when those documents are saved, the file sometimes will be 0KB.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2014 6:52 PM   in reply to Christian De Meyer

Hi Christian,

I've had problems for ages with this but I did notice that after I went through the reinstall with Apple yesterday I now have a couple of different options that are working.

Yesteday I uninstalled reader, restarted my computer and then reinstalled again. I didn't think it had worked for me but after some extra experimentation I have discovered a couple of things.

On some websites eg: https://www.gatewaycu.com.au/uploadedFiles/PDF/Forms/Quick%20Debit%20A uthority.pdf

it is coming up with a toolbar (I suppose it's called) at the top of the PDF and it is allowing me to print and save to my desktop, open the pdf and print YEAH.

Also with another website the PDF is showing up differently. eg http://media.wix.com/ugd/99e891_6110f024d956431abb7b66dd24f19251.pdf

This shows up like it used to but the difference is that if you try to save as or print throught the safari options like I used too it doesn't work, BUT if you hover down the bottom of the PDF it brings up a bar type box (sorry I don't know the technical word for this) then you can print, save to desktop, documents etc and then print from there too.

YEAH! It looks like (I hope) that the problem is solved. You have to go about it in a couple of different ways depending on the website, but hey, I don't think that's so bad as long as I can actually print my PDF's. It's better that not being able to access any of them which is what's been happening for the last few months.

I hope this helps you guys out and if you have any problems just let me know and I'll try and explain it better for you.

Cheers

Andrea

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2014 6:58 PM   in reply to TrillDax

TrillDax wrote:

In my situation, it is nothing to do with a website. The documents are pdf attachments to emails. But when those documents are saved, the file sometimes will be 0KB.

Emails are the same; you use the Save Attachments function of your email client.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2014 5:45 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

Yes, Pat. That is what we are doing. We save the attachment. Most of the time it works. Sometimes it does not - sometimes the saved file will be 0KB.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2014 7:40 PM   in reply to TrillDax

That is purely a function of your email client; Adobe Reader is not involved in any way.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2014 5:50 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

I guess I'm not explaining it completely. The emailed pdf is okay. It opens okay in Adobe Reader. The full document is there as it should be. But when "save as" (in Adobe) is used to save the file, it sometimes is saved as a 0KB file.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2014 9:06 PM   in reply to TrillDax

I don't know why this is happening; that is why I suggest to use the Save Attachments function of your email client.

Anyway, I have just tested sending / receiving / opening / saving a PDF file (using Outlook and Windows Live Mail), and the saved PDF is exactly the same size as the original file.  So it does not seem to be a general Adobe Reader problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2014 5:47 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

Thank you for your attempts at helping me. We think it may be a networking issue and are working on it inhouse. Thanks again.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2014 6:42 AM   in reply to Christian De Meyer

Your welcome Chistian. Glad I could help.

Cheers

Andrea

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points