Skip navigation
ritterbenj
Currently Being Moderated

Error: The file is either corrupt or using....

Feb 16, 2014 5:06 PM

I am attempting to open a file I just did work on. I was saving periodically and closed the program properly. Now I am getting the error message:

C:\Users\ritterbenjamin\Documents\Adobe\Audition\5.0\shittests\shittes ts.sesx

Error: The file is either corrupt or using an unsupported format

Is there a fix to this? I tried opening it up in a word doc and that didnt even work to examine.

Replies
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,615 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Feb 17, 2014 2:01 AM   in reply to ritterbenj

This isn't an audio file you are trying to open, but a multitrack session. Is that what you intended? If it is, then you'll probably need some help from Suite Spot, who's probably forgotten more about session files than the rest of us know!

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 17, 2014 3:45 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

If that really is a space in the name in the file path, rather than just a typo, then Windows will reject it, hence the error message. If you can get to the file in Windows Explorer try renaming it without the space.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,615 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Feb 17, 2014 5:26 AM   in reply to ryclark

It should open it with a space - Windows regards it as an invisible graphic represented in the real file name. It's the same as typing Alt+255.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 6:41 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

I did look at that session file and if you remove the space from the name then that tells the whole story

The sesx file was filled with nulls - not an easy thing to do but can occur if opened with some other application (like Word) I guess

Unfortunately, most of the time I get to examine these sort of files it is usually after the user has made (understandably) several attempts to open the file

It would be interesting to know the circumstances so as to determine a cause

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 8:45 AM   in reply to ritterbenj

Can you please send a copy of the original session file to audbugs@adobe.com?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 1:00 PM   in reply to ritterbenj

The space is unlikely to be the cause.

I assume that the sesx that you emailed me yesterday was the original file and not the one you tried to open with Word?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 7:27 PM   in reply to ritterbenj

Unfortunately its sometimes difficult to recall some small detail which may have impacted.

I don't know how many times I've been asked to fix some PC problem and when you ask the person what happened between the time it was working last and now and invariably the answer is 'nothing'.  Of course later you find that they had upgraded their OS, installed a new video card and a heap of cracked software or some other such events.

'Oh I didn't think that made any difference' LOL

I'm not saying this is the case with you but something has occured which is out of the norm otherwise every Audition user would have this problem every time they used Audition and that is certainly not the case.

In my case (this is a few years ago) I went through a period where I would get a crash more often than not - to the point I was hesitant to do too much.

I ended up writing a specific ses/sesx backup utility (http://www.mediasweeper.com.au/sesbackup.htm). Maybe use that before or after each session until confidence returns

The crashes BTW were caused by a rogue video driver and since then the only crash I have had has been due to a dodgy plugin

Bottom line is that any small detail you can offer will only go towards someone working out the cause.

So think of things like - were you accessing the session across a network, was there something different about this session or the files used, a new hard drive, or new software or hardware just installed, etc, etc

Also (and yes I know it is too late now) but any session which requires work spanning a number of days should always be backed up to at least one other location - most of us have been guilty of not doing that at least once

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points