Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Quit After Effects, Premiere loses renders

Feb 16, 2014 7:03 PM

I've got a quirk going on. In all of my projects I send various bits and pieces to AE to comp. They appear and update happily in Premiere, render okay (although the rendering in Premiere is MUCH slower when AE is open than when it is closed). However when I quit AE WHILE Premiere is open, Premiere loses it's dynamic link renders, never to return. I have to re-render. If I close Premiere THEN close AE THEN reopen Premiere the renders are still intact. At best this is a mild annoyance. At worst it means up to several hours of re-rendering.

Anyone experience anything similar? I've found this an issue at varying times since CS6 to the latest CC. Between this and chronic project sluggishness when using dozens of dynamic link layers I'm fast losing confidence in dynamic link.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 16, 2014 8:01 PM   in reply to PaulM-Aus

Hey Paul

This kind of thing is why I prefer a DI workflow between PPRO and AEFX

Must admit I have not even tried Dynamic Link for a long while.

I will use the DI in PPRO and if I have changes that I need to do in AEFX (comP) I will simply just save the change and over write the original DI.

Sometimes I manage an iteration or variation with a new DI filename (appended)

Seems to me that I get a form of Dynamic link without the hassle and I enjoy a great "editing experience" in PPro. ie no rendering with a useable convenient  asset to boot.

seriously..I cant see the advantage of Dynamic Link.

Direct Link and Speedgrade...YES.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2014 8:38 PM   in reply to PaulM-Aus

I never found the convenience and still dont.

Bang out a DI from AEFX.

Import ity into PPRO

Use it.

Any cvhanges back in AEFX ( overwrtitten) get immediately updated in PPRO.

Bingo. Convenient and the assets is easily managed.

I hate the thought of all that BG processing in Dynamic Links.  Doesnt make sense.

You are asking PPro to do something realtime that AEFX cant do itself.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 8:05 AM   in reply to PaulM-Aus

The clip had an adjustment layer applied in After Effects with a mask, a levels and a hue/sat filter.

If you're on CC, you really should look at doing this in SpeedGrade.  The new Direct Link is awesome and the effects play realtime in PP, no render required.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/adobe-at-ibc-2013/adobe-premiere-pro-cc-spee dgrade-cc-direct-link/

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 1:47 PM   in reply to shooternz

Shooter,

Trying to figure out the terminology ... "Bang out a DI from AEFX" ... and this muddled old brain isn't quite tracking.

It's neither a direct nor dynamic link ... so I'm mystified. searched for a DI link and couldn't find anything with this moniker ...

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 6:32 PM   in reply to shooternz

Hi,

I use Replace with After Effects Composition, but never render AE comps in Premiere Pro. I prefer a DI on V3, even a low res one I can use as a placeholder is fine. The AE comp lies on V2 awaiting any possible changes. On V1 is the original clip in case I need to start from scratch.

When I'm happy, I'll render out finals from After Effects for output.

Cheers,

Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 6:46 PM   in reply to R. Neil Haugen

Neil

Dynamic Link is a connection between two applications eg PPRO and AEFX

Direct Link is connecting the source files  across two applications eg PPRO and SG

DI is a Digital Intermediate.  ie A clip / movie exported from a Comp or a Sequence so that it is a usable asset anywhere it can be opened.

DL is far more complex an operation because AEFX is not realtime and can do FX and Compositing that require PPRO to perform them realtime. Thats the expectation and "promise" anyway.

DL is easier because Lumetri FX are common between PPRO and SG.

Di is convenient requiring no processing power and its mangeable as an  asset in any project

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2014 2:08 PM   in reply to shooternz

Shooter,

So ... to go DI to Ae, one selects a clip/s on the timeline, file->export (settings?) ... ? Then creates a new project/comp in Ae and imports that export? Then import that Ae comp back into PrPro?

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2014 2:33 PM   in reply to R. Neil Haugen

Not really.

A DI is just an Export from whatever application and that asset is used in another  app.

There is no actual link...apart from both apps are referencing the same asset. (non destructively)

Examples from my common workflows.

Open AEFX

Create an animated graphic in AEFX. ( simple , complex, whatever)

Export the Comp as an avi or avi lossless with alpha .

Import that into PPRO. and use in sequence as intended.

If it needs a change / alteration. Re open the AEFX Comp , make changes and Export it again.

Over writing the  filename of the asset and the change is reflected in PPRO.

I do sometimes make versions and keep both.

Movie Clip in PPro requires work in AEFX (eg Key, rotoscope, stabilise, warp, comp, fx etc...)

Open AEFX

Copy clip from PPRO bin and Paste into an AEFX Project Bin

Do the AEFX work and ... as above...

Export the Comp as an avi or avi lossless with alpha .

Import that into PPRO. and use in sequence as intended.

If the asset needs a change / alteration. Re open the AEFX Comp , make changes and Export it again.

FWIW:

I do the same with Photoshop assets except one has the PPRO "Edit Original" option  for convenience.  This is not a Direct Link or a Dynamic Link either.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2014 2:48 PM   in reply to shooternz

Thank you kindly ... much is clear that once was cloudy!

But having your attention ... I'm still new enough at this whole thing to be completely clueless as to when to take things like titles and l-thirds & etc. over to Ae, and when to just use the PrPro tools to do the same (supposedly) job. And the tutorials I've seen are all over the place on this ... clearly different strokes sort of thing but baffling to my mind. It likes a bit more certainty ...

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2014 3:11 PM   in reply to R. Neil Haugen

Neil,

If something is too difficult to achieve or impossible to do in Premiere Pro, I go to After Effects. For example, If you need motion graphics with the titles, go to After Effects. If the titles are static, I can stay in Premiere Pro. This is the way I've always worked in any NLE.

Thanks,
    Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2014 3:21 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

What he said.

I would use AEFX for tracking an object, rotoscoping,comping a label on a pack, removing a blemish(paint), lighting fx, animating a graphic or a light, keying, soft edge garbage mattes, mattes, stabilising, grain remove or add, ....

horses for courses...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2014 3:56 PM   in reply to shooternz

Kevin & Shooter,

Thanks both ... love hanging out here, learning stuff like crazy. 

Of course, there's always so much more to learn. Every question one asks begets at least a dozen more ... sigh ... such as do you complete the work on a masked area you've createdin Ae within Ae, or say, take a masked area there and then work it back in PrPro or on through to Sg? Or totally use masks within Sg on Sg stuff?

While I've been at this for several months, there's not been a lot of time for experimenting, always just trying to get the next step on specific projects right now.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2014 4:22 PM   in reply to R. Neil Haugen

I take the simplest workflow with the minimum of generational loss using the minimum of processes.

Edit in PPRO

FX and Composite in AEFX

DI

Conform in PPRO

DL to SG

Export from PPRO (AME)

SG with Direct Link,  is kind of a gamechanger because it does not require an export of its own and a reconform. ie The project is always in PPRO  (in practice).

Its an even better reason to use DIs from AEFX.

Every project will determine its own workflow and order.  Use each app to do what it does best and do a single roundtrip is the simple approach.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2014 8:06 PM   in reply to PaulM-Aus

Any broadcast station hiring me right now is one I might not want to work for ... sort of like G. Marx's statement that he wouldn't join a club that would allow him as a member. However, trying to learn at a rather rapid pace leaves me hoping that at some not too distant point this current case would not still be the case. I've kept my projects simple and direct, and well ... it's time to branch out a bit.

Hate it when that time comes. Always does, of course.

This is a great place to get one's head cleaned out, dusted, and put back together.

Neil

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points