Skip navigation
lcaplice
Currently Being Moderated

60p / 30p in a 24p timeline

Feb 17, 2014 5:29 PM

Tags: #premiere #edit #60p #mixed #30p #framerate #25p

I know this might've been covered before, but let me talk it through.

Basically, I've jumped on an editing job where the footage is shot in 25p / 30p / 60p - they've done their selects in Premiere Pro CC in a 24p timeline. None of the footage is intepretted to 24p, it's just in the timeline - I can't really see anything bad, apart from the fact that the 30p / 60p was shot with a higer shutterspeed so there is no motion blur.

It's a surf film, so there is no audio - just visuals put to music.

My question is this: Should I continue editing in this 24p timeline, using their selects and just interpret the 60p footage if I want any slow motion or should I interpret all the footage, so that the 30p is slowed to 24p and the 60p is also slowed - then just speed up anything I want as I edit?

The end product is just a free download online, and possibly iTunes.

Any advice, appreciated as I've got to get cracking on the edit today.

Cheers.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 17, 2014 6:58 PM   in reply to lcaplice

I think that's entirely the wrong way to go.  Don't slow it down only to speed it back up.  Stick to the original 24p sequence and only Interpret what you need slowed.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 7:07 PM   in reply to lcaplice

You'll have to make the final determination on the look, but I would speculate my suggested method would look better.

Unless, are you delivering in PAL?  That complicates the realtime stuff.  I don't think Adobe tools do NTSC to PAL all that well.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2014 7:14 PM   in reply to lcaplice

because nothing was shot at 24p, why would I use that to edit in?

Because 30 and 60 'translate' to 24 much better than they do to 25.  The PAL footage can be slowed down to 24 and still look 'realtime'.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points