Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Help drawing a speech bubble with the Line Tool

Feb 19, 2014 6:27 AM

Hello,

I'm trying to draw this speech bubble, but having a problem with the part that shoots out:

speech_bubble.png

Anybody know how to get the proportions right though?

d.png

Not sure how since we're dealing with lines and not shapes. Here's the source: speech_bubble.fla

Many thanks!

Ole P.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 19, 2014 7:10 AM   in reply to ole_p

It's just how the Flash line system works. The miter extended to 3.0 is pushing each line connection out. You're better off drawing the shape yourself. You can see even setting miter down to 2.5 flattens the cornering. There's no property adjustment you can make if you want the sharp edge. It's uniform if you lose the miter.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2014 8:28 AM   in reply to ole_p

I'd suggest just using the normal drawing tools (circle / line, or pen if you like), drawing the outer shape, then duplicating that shape and shrinking it as much as you want to cut into the outer shape, then just change the bitmaps color and let Flash flatten it into the original bitmap. It will cut out the inside. Easier shown than explain I s'pose.

e.g. (I'm not a designer, just examplifying here):

Draw your basic shape (this is a oval and a curved triangle joined as a bitmap) on 1 layer:

cut1.png

Now just copy your bitmap, make a new layer above, paste in place and transform it smaller. Color that copy a different color (I did black for obviousness). You'll need to go in with the select tool and adjust some of the irregular lines as you see me zoomed in here loosely fixing:

cut2.png

Not symmetrical but you get the idea. After you get yours just how you want it, cut the cutout bitmap (black for me) and paste it back into the same layer as the original shape. This will merge the bitmaps. More to the point, you can select the cutout bitmap alone:

cut3.png

Then just delete the inner bitmap. Here's slapping a ugly blue radial rectangle under it to show it's just a bitmap outline:

cut4.png

There's many ways to do it but this is a pretty simple way. You could always just use the pen as well, drawing the outer lines, then the inner. I just find it easier using something like the circle tool to know my outer shape will be symmetrical.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2014 6:35 PM   in reply to ole_p

Haha, you're welcome.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers