Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

I keep getting Error 1328.  What should i do?

Feb 19, 2014 1:10 PM

Tags: #error #install #10.1.4 #1328

Yesterday, i uninstalled reader 10.1.4 because some fonts looked strange on some PDF Files.  Unfortunately, when i tried to re-install, i keep getting error 1328. 

i am running windows vista and have un-installed all Adobe programs and tried to re-install countless times.  i tried to run cleaner but got an error message about some files being outside of a library.  Any suggestions?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 19, 2014 7:18 PM   in reply to newyorkrangersadobe

Is there anything else beside the number 1328?

What is the exact message you get from the cleaner tool?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 7:31 PM   in reply to newyorkrangersadobe

Try if the MSI installer works better: http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/10.x/10.1.0/en_US/Adb eRdr1010_en_US.msi (English version 10.1.0).

Make sure you update to 10.1.9 after the install is successful.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 10:28 PM   in reply to newyorkrangersadobe

Hm, these are both unusual errors.  I think at this stage we should make sure that your system is free of malware.

Please check this article how to run the TDSSKiller tool: http://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/reader-core-dll-error.html

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 11:33 PM   in reply to newyorkrangersadobe

I'm not really a malware expert; we needed to make sure your system is clean - it seems that it is.

"Failed to register" usually indicates some permission problem in the registry.  But I do not know where authplay.dll is registered.  I do no longer have Reader X installed on any of my systems, and Reader XI does not contain authplay.dll any more.

I'm not sure what to do next, except hoping that someone from Adobe Support will pick up your topic.

However, you seem to be more experienced than the average user, so I will tell you what I would do if I encountered your problem on my system:

• check if C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader10.0\Reader\authplay.dll actually exists
    • download and run Process Monitor
    • run the MSI installer
    • set a filter on Procmon on the MSI installer name
    • do a find in Procmon for authplay.dll, and see if there is any indication what goes wrong

This is quite a time-consuming process, and there is not guarantee that you will actually find anything.  But this is what I would try.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2014 2:39 AM   in reply to newyorkrangersadobe

Run the MSI installer from my reply #4: ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/10.x/10.1.0/en_US/AdbeRdr10 10_en_US.msi

Yes, Procmon shows a very large amount of events; that's why we need filtering:

• Ctrl+L
    • under Display entries matching these conditions, enter
      • Process Name is msiexec.exe
    • click Add

pm_1.png

Procmon will now only display events from the msiexec process initiated by AdbeRdr1010_en_US.msi

This output is still very large, but you can use Find to look for entries that contain authplay.dll

P.S. in my earlier response I wrote "check if C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader10.0\Reader\authplay.dll actually exists"; does it after the failed installation?  If so, we may try a much simpler approach of running regsvr32.exe to only try to register that dll.

Unfortunately I will have to leave in a few minutes; I will be on again tomorrow.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2014 8:55 PM   in reply to newyorkrangersadobe

So if C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader10.0\Reader\authplay.dll exists, try the following:

• run Procmon
    • open a Command Prompt and type
      • C:
      • cd \
      • cd \Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader
      • regsvr32.exe authplay.dll
      • exit

Did you get an error when running the regsvr32 command?  Then let's continue...

• in Procmon set a filer for Process Name is regsvr32.exe

Can you see anything useful in there?  You can also save the Procmon content using the Save icon or File menu item.  You can send it to me if you want me to look at it; my email address is below (an image, not copyable)

pwillener.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2014 10:20 PM   in reply to newyorkrangersadobe

Did Procmon run when you ran the MSI installer?

Also, do you have that DLL C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader10.0\Reader\authplay.dll, or was it removed when the install failed?

I may do some experimenting with Reader X if I can find some time tomorrow.  So take some rest for now, and I will get back to you tomorrow or Monday.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2014 12:41 AM   in reply to newyorkrangersadobe

Unfortunately this is something Windows is [in]famous for: unexpected permission changes for files, folders, or registry entries.  This has been happening since Windows 95; fortunately less frequently with recent Windows versions.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2014 1:22 AM   in reply to newyorkrangersadobe

I would like you to try something different....

Please download the EXE installer, if you do not already have it: http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/10.x/10.1.0/en_US/Adb eRdr1010_en_US.exe and save it to disk.

Once the download is complete, right-click on the downloaded installer file and select Run as Administrator.

This may actually fix the registration problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2014 8:58 PM   in reply to newyorkrangersadobe

This really is a stubborn error!

I will set up a test sequence for you, so that we can go to the bottom of this.  I should have it ready sometime tomorrow.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2014 7:44 PM   in reply to newyorkrangersadobe

Ok, here is the test that should (hopefully) tell us what's going wrong during the registration of the authplay.dll file.  Can you try following these steps; if anything is not clear, don't hesitate to ask for clarification.

1. download the attached authplay.zip file, unzip it, and move the extracted authplay.dll file to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader10.0\Reader
    2. start Procmon
    3. open a Command Prompt and type the following
      • cd C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader10.0\Reader
      • regsvr32 authplay.dll *
      • exit
    4. in Procmon start filtering (Ctrl+L)
      • first click the Reset button to remove anything previously added
      • now filter: Process Name is regsvr32.exe
      • Add
      • OK
    5. now save (Ctrl+S) the filtered result
    6. exit Procmon

The saved file will be named something like Logfile.PML and will be located in the folder where Procmon resides.

Now upload that logfile to https://files.acrobat.com/ and share the link; see http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1408375 for detailed instructions.

*) in 3 above, did regsvr32 display an error message?

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2014 12:56 AM   in reply to newyorkrangersadobe

Don't worry; we are going to get to the bottom of this!

Do you have that folder path C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader10.0\Reader ?  If not, can you create it?

When you open authplay.zip, authplay.dll will be in there.  Don't try to open it; drag and drop it (or copy and paste it) into the above folder (C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader10.0\Reader).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2014 1:08 AM   in reply to newyorkrangersadobe

Open Windows Explorer:

• go to C:\Program Files
    • is there an Adobe folder in it?  If not, create it: File | New | Folder, then rename it to Adobe
    • go to the existing or newly created Adobe subfolder, and create a new subfolder Reader 10.0 (with a space between Reader & 10.0)
    • go to that new Reader 10.0 subfolder and create a new subfolder Reader

This is where the authplay.dll file must be moved or copied into.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2014 1:33 AM   in reply to newyorkrangersadobe

You are doing well; let's continue tomorrow.  For me it's time to go out for dinner...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2014 7:25 PM   in reply to newyorkrangersadobe

Try this (with a quotation mark around the path):

cd "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader"

P.S. screenshots can only be inserted with the forum editor, using the camera icon.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2014 9:04 PM   in reply to newyorkrangersadobe

Sorry, your screenshot didn't make it.  You need to use the camera icon in the forum editor.

If you haven't filtered anything yet, you need add the regsvr32.exe filter.  Then Ctrl+S.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2014 9:53 PM   in reply to newyorkrangersadobe

I'm not sure either.  How big is the file?  If not zero, can you upload it to https://files.acrobat.com/ ?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2014 10:06 PM   in reply to newyorkrangersadobe

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status