Mattia 13
Currently Being Moderated

Container for video

Feb 20, 2014 3:58 AM

Tags: #premiere

Hi to everybody,

this is my first post here in the forum,

so any help will be highly appreciate.

I'm wondering if there is any way in Premiere CC to put a clip into a 'container', a 'frame' so I can move it without needing to crop.

For example in InDesign I can put an image into a frame and if the image is larger than the frame it will be automatically cropped.

The visible part of the image is the one within the frame.

My goal, as I have to work with several clips on the same frame, is to create a grid of 'frames' then put inside each frame the clip I need and move it as I want.

Hope to find a solution,

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 20, 2014 5:50 AM   in reply to Mattia 13

Hi Mattia 13,

I understand what you're asking for but unfortunately the answer is no, Premiere Pro does not have an easy tool to do what you're asking for, which is a real shame since it's a very common editing situation.

I've requested such a tool years ago but most requests for intelligent additions to Premiere seem to fall on deaf ears at Adobe.

What I requested was this: an intrinsic 'Crop' tool that appears above the intrinsic Motion settings in the Effect Controls Window.  This would give users an intelligent and easy way of cropping the dimentions of the 'window' or 'frame' through which the  clip could be freely positioned, resized, rotated, etc.  You can achieve the same result by using the Track Matte effect, but it's far far more work than the solution I suggested to Adobe, since years later, the Track Matte effect remains broken, and thus requires nested sequences to get it to work the way you suggest.

The best thing to do is send you Feature Request here: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish and pray that Adobe will listen.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 9:59 AM   in reply to Mattia 13

You could do this with a Nested Sequence.  Make that sequence the dimensions you need for the 'crop'.  Then anything you add to it will be cropped to those dimensions, and you can move around the group of clips as one.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 10:14 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

But then he'd end up with a separate sequence for every single PIP in his master sequence, and he'd have to keep jumping back and forth between sequences to make any changes such as clip content/positioning etc.  It would work, but would be a real PITA of a workflow, especially if he's working with several PIPs such as a grid of 9 or more.   Adobe needs to provide us with an intelligent workflow to achieve this.  I remember there was a plug-in called 'Boxes' or something like that for FCP7 that did exactly what I suggested (allowed users to crop the 'window' or 'frame' through which a clip could be seen and freely positioned/sized.  Anyone know of any plug-in that would do the same for Premiere Pro?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 10:17 AM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

It would work

That's the point.  I can't change the software, but I can suggest a way to do the job now.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 10:54 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Quite right

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 3:22 PM   in reply to Mattia 13

You should look into After Effects.  That might be the better tool on this one, using precomps and masks.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 7:03 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

After Effects is a good suggestion.  Would love to see a 'Boxes' plugin for Premiere Pro though.  Where are all the plugin developers for Premiere (both Mac and Windows versions)?!  There's tons of great plugins available for FCP7 and FCPX, but next to nothing for PP, especially on the Windows side.  Is this because Adobe makes it harder for developers to create plugins for PP than it is on FCP?  Or is it just a question of popularity, with FCP still getting most of the Plugin 'love' due to years of undisputed popularity prior to its fall with FCPX?  Hopefully PP's growing popularity quickly changes this!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 7:11 PM   in reply to Mattia 13

Do you have a sample of your requirement we can see?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2014 3:39 AM   in reply to Mattia 13

This mask is it the same through out the video?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2014 5:52 AM   in reply to Mattia 13

Ì was going to suggest to make a preset out of the crop.But you will have to make several.

Drop the crop preset on the clip

Highlight the word Crop in the ECW (a bounding box will appear) and move the crop to the desired composition in the frame.

Then select the word Motion in the ECW (clips bounding box will appear) and move the clip to the desired frame of the mask.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2014 10:09 AM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

Where are all the plugin developers for Premiere

http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/sdk?view=discussions

There's tons of great plugins available for FCP7 and FCPX, but next to nothing for PP

https://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/extend.displayTab4.html

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2014 10:25 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

He is right: I would love to see FX Factory for Windows. But that is not going to happen.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2014 7:12 AM   in reply to Ann Bens

Yes, +1 for FX Factory for Windows!!!

I know about that second link you posted Jim, but unfortunately, 90% of the plugins posted there are absolute junk.

Thank God for the rare exeption, such as Film Impact, that provides such useful transitions (I use Impact Push all the time, which really Adobe should have provided us in the first place instead of PP's junk Push effect that provides zero options such as ease in/ease out)

With all of the developers out there, you'd think that at least 1 of them (or Adobe for that mater), would have the good sense to provide an effect as simple as a proper color border (still not even available in PP in 2014!)

Effects and transitions are still an area where FCP is far far ahead of PP, due to the quantity of quality plugins.  Hope to see this change soon!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2014 8:05 AM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

Push (whip or swich) effect  you can make yourself.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2014 5:55 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

Ann, that's just like saying that going to work is something you can do yourself, by foot, so why take the bus.

Of course many effects can be achieved by keyframing, at 2-10+ x the time and effort, but regardless, there's no denying that effects and plug-ins for the Windows version of PP are extremely lacking compared to what's available on the Mac.

Come on developers, give us some decent effects/plug-ins, such as this! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN8rFo1CpG0&hd=1 (which BTW would easily solve OP's, Mattia 13, editing challenge).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2014 6:24 PM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

there's no denying that effects and plug-ins for the Windows version of PP are extremely lacking compared to what's available on the Mac.

Come on developers, give us some decent effects/plug-ins, such as this!

Not much point asking for plugin development here.

Getting a Mac is maybe an option... but why not approach the plugin 3rd parties and ask for what you want in PC versions.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points