Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

FR: Direct selection/manipulation of clip(s) in Program Monitor

Feb 20, 2014 6:34 AM

If you agree with this improved workflow, please add your own voice here www.adobe.com/go/wish.

*******Enhancement / FMR*********

Brief title for your desired feature: Direct selection of clip(s) in Program Monitor for modification

How would you like the feature to work?

We should be able to directly select a clip/asset in the Program Monitor to move/resize/rotate it.  Even better would be the ability to SHIFT-click-select 2 or more items to move/scale/rotate them in tandem!

Why is this feature important to you? 

The current workflow is convoluted/unintuitive since it requires users to: 1) select a single clip for modification under the CTI in the Timeline, 2) click on 'Motion' in the Effect Controls Window. 3) make the desired Motion changes in the ECW and/or Program Monitor. 4) repeat steps 1-3 for any additional clips/titles in the Program Monitor that needed to be changed in tandem.

While this Feature Request may require a 2 step implementation, first allowing the direct selection of a single clip, and later allowing the selection/Motion manipulation of 2 or more clips at the same time, allowing a single clip to be directly selected in the Program Monitor for now would be a big step towards finally making it possible to change the Motion attributes of 2 or more PIPs at the same time. 

NOTE: For direct clip selection to work effectively, the 'selectable' bounding box of titles would have to be automatically restricted to the dimensions of the Text itself, and not default to the dimensions of the Video Settings as is currently the case, since otherwise, it would not be possible to directly select a clip under a title of equal video dimensions.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 20, 2014 6:52 AM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

It sounds good, but I am not certain how they could implement this. What if the titles had more than text? And what if there were images with alpha channels?

Perhaps a better solution would be a shortcut for selecting the Motion effect without actually having to click on it? That way you could select the clip, use the shortcut and then move it a bit faster, but not have the multiple track issues?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 10:18 AM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

2) click on 'Motion' in the Effect Controls Window.

Top clip can be selected by double clicking in the PM.

If the undelaying clip is visuable and not covered by the bounding box of the superimposed clip (like in pips) you can double click on that also in the PM to get the bounding box.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 10:20 AM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

Perhaps at the very least, we could enable Motion editing of a clip in the Program Monitor in 1 step, by selecting it in the Timeline

I think that would probably be the better ask.  For some reason I thought we already had it, and was surprised to see I still have to select the Motion effect to get the bounding box.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 10:21 AM   in reply to Ann Bens

Ahh, the double click.  I thought there was a way...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 3:48 PM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

modify more than 1 clip at a time.

For a clip to be modified you need the Effect Controls.

For 2 clips you need two EC, but there is only just one available.

What if the two clips have total different fixed effect properties to start with.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 8:01 PM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

The current workflow is convoluted/unintuitive since it requires users to: 1) select a single clip for modification under the CTI in the Timeline, 2) click on 'Motion' in the Effect Controls Window. 3) make the desired Motion changes in the ECW and/or Program Monitor. 4) repeat steps 1-3 for any additional clips/titles in the Program Monitor that needed to be changed in tandem.

Make Motion changes> Copy Motion> Paste to FX Control WIndow of any other selected clips.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2014 4:03 AM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

For example, Scale:

Clip 1 = 35

Clip 2 = 42

Clip 3 = 12

ECW value displayed as '-'.  Type 50 into this field and all three selected clips would automatically be given an identical scale value of 50.

If you do what Craig says all properties would end up the same for all clips.

Do I understand correct you want to change just one propertie for mulitple clips.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2014 5:59 AM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

Who's Craig?

Shooternz.

I think you will have to file a FR.

There is also the ability to move a clip in the PM with the left/right/up/down arrow key

If you hold the shift+left/right/up/down it moves per 10 increments.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2014 6:06 AM   in reply to PierreLouisBeranek

So, if I understand correctly, you are proposing that we be able to select multiple clips by directly clicking on them (or perhaps by selecting the clips in the timeline as well) and directly manipulate the position parameters.

Makes sense. Add to that, if you want to change a different parameter, perhaps one harder to directly manupulate, the Effect Controls Window would allow you to manipulate the parameters for the entire group.

I can see how that might work with percentage changes. you would not want a scale parameter to change them all to be the same, but you might want to have the parameters change by the same percentage.

Interesting ideas. I think that by the time it gets that complicated, I have already moved over to After Effects.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2014 4:17 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz
    think that by the time it gets that complicated, I have already moved over to After Effects.

Thats my thinking too.

I tried to think of a situation where I might need to do this in PPRO. Not often if ever. ( Not to say that others might have need though)

I regularly move  graphics to different positions and realign them with each other ...but thats no biggie and would often require some or one of them to require a unique parameter change of its own anyway.

I would consider a NEST for something where I knew it would be a solution to something required. eg key framed moving co ordinated PnPs

BUT AEFX for serious Composition work.

Unless the requirement is co ordinated events relative to each other...I cant see it being much regular value or worth the programming effort.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2014 4:18 PM   in reply to shooternz

I cant see it being much regular value or worth the programming effort.

I'm glad someone else said it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points