Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to reduce gain in a selected area with a hotkey?

Feb 20, 2014 1:20 PM

Tags: #audition #cs6 #reduce #amplify #breath

Hi! I do audiobook narration, and when I'm editing, I find myself constantly selecting areas where I took a loud breath, then pulling on the slider to reduce the db so it's not heard. This gets repetitive. Is there any way I could create a favorite and assign a hotkey to it so that I could select the breath, then hit the hotkey and it would automatically reduce it -30db, for example?

I tried recording a favorite, but when I try to apply it, it gives me the message "the recorded time selection could not be applied." Not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if this isn't possible...it seems like it should be a fairly simple task. Just a hotkey to automatically "DeAmplify" by a specified amount.

How might I do this? Thanks!

Replies
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,593 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 28, 2014 2:28 PM   in reply to tangofilly

I'm not entirely surprised that nobody has answered this, because to go through all the steps is quite time-consuming. But yes, it does work. You have to follow all the steps in this exactly as written, otherwise this won't work quite the way you want it to:

• Effects>Noise, and create 10 seconds of it.
    • Favourites>Start Recording Favourite
    • Hit Ctrl-A to select entire file
    • Effects>Amplification and Compression>Amplify, and set linked faders and -30dB
    • Click Apply. This will reduce the amplitude of the entire file by -30dB
    • DO NOT DESELECT ANYTHING!
    • Favourites>Stop Recording Favourite and give it a name; -30dB sounds good...
    • In Favourites pane on desktop, highlight your new favourite and move across to the settings part of the pane, on the right. Make sure that for both actions in there, Selection is set to Relative, and that start is 0% and end is 100%. That's your favourite sorted.
    • Go to Edit>Keyboard Shortcuts and select Favourites from the list. Find your new one in the list, and on the blank screen under 'shortcut' click on it. A box will appear, and when it does, hit the shortcut key you want. You get warnings of conflicts, but if you want one that isn't used in the defaults, try U and apply it.
    • In your favourites list, your new entry should show up with U beside it. If you've got all the settings correct, then highlighting just the section you want to apply it to and hitting U should apply it to just that bit.

It took me a couple of goes to determine that this appears to work fine, and establish exactly which steps are guaranteed to work, but hey, it does!

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 28, 2014 2:31 PM   in reply to tangofilly

The problem is that if you record a Favorite that includes a selected portion of an audio file unfortunately Audition records the position of the actual selection. So when you try and apply it elsewhere you get that error message. You can make a Favorite for the "DeAmplify" bit by opening the Effects/Amplitude and Dynamics menu and go to Amplify. Select -30 dB and then click on the Star icon at the top right to save that as DeAmplify Favorite. You can then make a Keyboard shortcut to call your new favorite. However you will still have to manually select the breath in order to apply DeAmplify to it I'm afraid.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points