Skip navigation
robertcreates
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements for commercial use

Feb 20, 2014 4:41 PM

Can I use Premiere Elements 12 for commercial use , like videos I make for training modules that I sell?

I looked in the EULA and buried in section 16.14 and 16.15 is reference to non-commercial use due to encoder patents.  But nowhere is a straight forward yes or no for commercial use.

Thanks for anyone that knows about this

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 20, 2014 6:29 PM   in reply to robertcreates

Welcome to the forum.

Absolutely!

If PrE serves all of your needs, there are no limitations on its use. Many users employ it for their various commercial purposes, from teachers to realtors, to those doing independent productions.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2014 7:04 PM   in reply to robertcreates

robertcreates

My major focus would be the rights issues related to source media other than that which is supplied by the program itself.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2014 4:13 AM   in reply to robertcreates

robertcreates wrote:

This is definitely the one and glad it is cross platform for both PC and Mac.

Be aware though that projects created in Mac or Windows are incompatible with the other platform - http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/release-note/readme-premiere- elements.html#main-pars_header_8.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2014 7:47 AM   in reply to robertcreates

You are most welcome.

Going way back, Adobe once had a restriction on material produced with the academic versions (like Student & Teacher editions) of some of its programs. I do not recall the exact timing, but would say that they relaxed that restriction about 10 years ago.

Also, as Neale points out, the PrE Projects are not X-platform, but if one considers the Mac and the PC, they can output files (from the PrE Project) that ARE X-platform, for delivery. I am not exactly sure how you are referring to X-platform, but if the intent is to edit a Project between a Mac and a PC, then Neale's caveat will be very important. Though the Project file (PREL) looks the same (basically an XML database file), they are significantly different, that a PREL from a Mac, will not Open on a PC. For delivery of a finished AV file (your instructional video, in this case), if one selects say AVCHD (H.264 CODEC) for the output, that file will be viewable on both a Mac and a PC, so long as each computer has a viable version of the H.264 CODEC installed, and most will, or the user can add it. It's the same with most MOV files - so long as the PC has Apple's QuickTime Player installed. When you get to the point of delivery, do not hesitate to stop back, if you need a bit more input from the forum. Some of us have both a Mac and a PC (Steve Grisetti, for instance), but many more are tasked with X-platform delivery quite often.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2014 4:55 AM   in reply to robertcreates

robertcreates wrote:

train my clients (who will be making their own marketing videos) with some simple screen capture tutorials that will work no matter which platform they use.

You should probably do those tutorials in the Mac version then as there are a batch of video and audio effects, and transitions, that are ONLY in the Windows version. Then maybe create some supplemental tutorials for Windows only features.

Details at What is omitted in the Mac version of Premiere Elements 12?

Also note that, in the Organizer, 'Watched Folders' is a Windows only feature.

Cheers,
    --
    Neale
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2014 7:27 AM   in reply to robertcreates

Robert,

Thank you for the clarification.

Neale makes a very good point about the differences between the Mac and PC versions of PrE. The GUI is pretty much the same, BUT his link to "what's missing," can be very important. We see a fair share of Mac users, who see references to some Effects (especially the Keying Effects) in a PC tutorial, and cannot find them in the Mac version. I agree with Neale on doing the tutorials on a Mac, as that segment of the market has been a bit underserved historically.

Good luck with your project - sounds interesting.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2014 11:03 AM   in reply to robertcreates

Robert

You wrote:

Is there any workaround for doing greenscreen type work on the mac?

Some people would steer you to the Videomerge Effect for that. Videomerge was never been one of my favorites on Windows - never had a Mac. I prefer the Chroma Key Effect in my Windows computer environment. But, Premiere Elements Mac does not have Chroma Key.

Bottom line: please take a look at the Difference Matte for your Premiere Elements Mac greenscreen type work and see if the following works for you.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-difference-matte-as-substi tute-for.html

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points