Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

My computer thinks a Indesign CS5.5 file is open

Feb 21, 2014 9:04 AM

Tags: #indesign_cs5_files_not_opening #indesign_c5

My computer's power source failed and turned off while an Indesign CS5.5 file is open.  Now trying to access the file, my computer (a mac) thinks it's still open.  I'd like to either "close" down the file my computer thinks is open or delete the file (I have good copy on an external hard drive).  Anyone have any advice?  Thanks so much.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 21, 2014 9:22 AM   in reply to juan_dia316

Delete the .idlk file in the folder where the .indd file is saved.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2014 9:24 AM   in reply to juan_dia316

Is this document located on your computer, you're not working on it across a server where someone else might legitimately have it open? If that's the case, look in the folder where this document is located, see if there's a file name in that folder that starts with a tilde and ends with ".idlk". That's the lock file that keeps multiple users from opening the same document in a shared environment. If it's only you working on this, it should be safe to delete it, and you should then be able to open the file.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2014 9:52 AM   in reply to juan_dia316

You can try putting the lock file in the trash and rebooting, but it's probably easiest to just open the read-only version, save with a new name, and move on.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points