Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

No more memory and Framemaker stops

Feb 21, 2014 12:50 PM

That is proabably not a great title...

Anyway,

Ever since I have gotten my 64 bit computer, FM has been awful. I have FM10, Windows 7, 16GB RAM.

When I make a pdf, it, of course as usual takes forever. But now it stops responding and never refreshes. I get an out of memory message sometimes, but I alwasy have to shut it down. Then to open my book, I have to reset every file in the book to use it and update...ect....

Is there something I can do?

It is only using 3.5 GB memory to make the file, so my computer isn't running out of memory.

Thanks,

ls

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 21, 2014 1:39 PM   in reply to lsk2002

Is your FM10 patched to the 10.0.2 version?

Is the AdobePDF your default printer instance when using FM (i.e. do use the SetPrint utility)?

Is your AdobePDF printer instance configured to spool documents and start printing immediately?

Do you have the printing preferences Output set to prompt for the fllename or is it pointing to a specific folder? [With the prompt, it may pop-up behind a window and wait (forever) for input.]

Do you have sufficient space in your system TEMP location?

Have you tried printing directly to a .ps file? Does this run into the same issues?

Have you monitored the process using a tool like Microsoft's Sysinternals Process Explorer to see what's actually going on and what is using memory?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2014 10:20 AM   in reply to lsk2002

If you print to a .ps file, then you have enable the Generate Acrobat Data option in the Print panel in order to get features such as links to work in the final PDF.

With a 64-bit O/S and 16Gb of RAM, you should be seeing an improvement, rather than a degradation, of performance. It sounds like you have a configuration issue of some kind.

Try creating a simple, single page of text PDF of text before your larger FM document. This should initialize all features and wake up Distiller. Is there any improvement in the performance in creating the large document?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2014 11:33 AM   in reply to lsk2002

From the icon and style of the message, it does not look like a message generated from FM. Check to see what else is running.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2014 11:39 AM   in reply to Arnis Gubins

Is there anything being written to the console window (consfile.txt file in the user area) when this happens?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2014 9:00 AM   in reply to lsk2002

Is your copy of FM10 installed on a network drive? I see E:\ as the path in one dialogue window.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2014 9:20 AM   in reply to lsk2002

In the background of your console display, I do see some issues that could be causing the problem. First, fix up the consistency issue in your files. There is something set differently in (at least) one of the first files of the book for its print settings (it may be crop marks, separations, etc.).

The error with the PDF Reflow module is probably what's causing the out of memory error. You can actually turn this function off by commenting out the following line your maker.ini - just put a semi-colon (;) in front of it:

FMPDFReflow=Standard, Post-process PDF for Reflow, fminit\fmpdfreflow.dll,all

You can also comment out this line:

PDFSize=Standard, Optimize PDF Size, fminit\pdfsize.dll,all

These functions can be tweaked by Acrobat in the PDF afterwards and this will speed up your SaveAsPDF operation, as now FM isn't going to play with your intermediate postscript file.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2014 9:52 AM   in reply to lsk2002

For what it’s worth, I don’t think FM was designed to run off external or network drives.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2014 10:22 AM   in reply to lsk2002

Out of curiosity, just how big are these books (PDF size and the .tps file size before the PDF is created)? Do you have lots of graphics and what formats for the graphics are you using? Are these imporrted by copy or by reference?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2014 1:31 PM   in reply to lsk2002

You don't need to create a "Tagged" PDF unless you're sending the PDFs out for review and importing the comments back into FM or creating accessible PDFs.

With the PS files that large, the paging operations that take place between FM and Distiller creating the PDF, with only 20Gbs of free space are probably the cause of your "out of memory" errors. You also have to account for the system paging file and any other activity taking place. Also have you ever defragmented your hard-drive (fragmentation will give you less actual usable space than reported as free)?  I'd recommended a bigger drive - terabyte sized drives are cheap and fast (for a real performance boost, get an SSD for your O/S and applications and then a big hard-drive for your data).

Filenaming with spaces can be dodgy, as not all applications properly parse the entire string (i.e. thy may stop at the first space). It's recommended to use underscores instead.

If your "external" drive is a mapped network drive, I really wouldn't recommend it for FM operations. FM (still) doesn't play well in network traffic (naive kid chasing ball onto freeway metaphor).

With your large files you could try printing to a .ps file first and then distilling that file [or try the small text file pdf first trick]. This should free up FM a lot quicker. You could also set Distiller (if you have the full version of Acrobat installed) to use Watched Folders and spool the .ps files to the watched one(s).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points