Skip navigation
firedog7
Currently Being Moderated

dsd files - any way to open?

Feb 21, 2014 11:52 PM

Tags: #file #import #format #audition

dsf or dff formats - apparently aren't supported. Any way to open them in audition? Or will there be in the near future?

Thanks

Replies
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Feb 22, 2014 2:28 AM   in reply to firedog7

The only chance you stand is to get somebody to create a codec for them. I believe that if you own a Korg MR series device or have a twitter account (that bit is weird!), you can download and use Korg Audio Gate, which will convert these files to wav - which is what you need to have in order for Audition to open them anyway - that's it's native format, and what everything has to be converted to.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 22, 2014 4:41 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

I would think it very unlikely that the dsd format will every be implemented in Audition since SACD seems to be on the way out to be replaced by HD Bluray Audio.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2014 8:02 PM   in reply to ryclark

I don't know if it's true but I've heard that part of the design spec for the SACD file formats was to restrict the access to the necessary codecs to make piracy via ripping much more difficult.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2014 10:55 PM   in reply to firedog7

Well, DSD (Direct Stream Digital) was the coding format developed for use on SACD (and DSF/DFF) are part of that system, one carrying metadata and one not.

I'm surprised to hear that the format is still clinging to life considered the non-response to SACD (and the results of some double blind tests I've seen that show nobody can hear the difference from standard Wave/PCM).

I just did a Google and indeed there are some consumer codecs but most seem to be a bit "home made" and designed for use in things like Foobar.  Perhaps I didn't read far enough but I didn't see any major move by the main names to work in DSD or produce codecs.

I don't know if it helps but I found this codec for Foobar...which you then perhaps transfer into wave for Audition:  http://sourceforge.net/projects/sacddecoder/

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,602 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Feb 23, 2014 2:09 AM   in reply to firedog7

firedog7 wrote:

As far as how it sounds, you'd have to listen for yourself. I think there quite a few people that can hear that DSD playback sounds different from SACD playback and also from PCM playback. There's no reason it houldn't, as the filtering used in recording (none for DSD in recording) and playback is different than PCM.

That used to be true - sort-of - but it isn't any more. The modern massively oversampled (64x at least) converters have eliminated the differences, and all of the ABX tests I've ever heard about have revealed that effectively, nobody can tell the difference at all now. There are always people who try to dispute this, but the tests that stand are always carried out in a clinically correct manner and can be replicated.

Of course the saddest thing about that is that people are bothering to do this at all. Because that means that they aren't listening to the music, just the sound. And I'd say that this was ultimately pretty pointless. As a classical recording engineer, I can tell you that there are things that happen on every location there is that will make far more difference to the sound than any format tinkering will - which is why all of these conversations make me chuckle a bit...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2014 3:17 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

Apart from it's use for SACD recording/mastering I hadn't come across dsd as an audio file type before now (except for the Korg recorder). Interesting to find that you can now download dsd files. I have downloaded FLAC files before which my combination of Pioneer Bluray player and Onkyo Surround amp happily play. So I might now try a DSD download out of interest. I know that the Onkyo will decode dsd bitstreams so it will be interesting to see how it copes with such a file.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points