Skip navigation
gurroby
Currently Being Moderated

A post login page that requires user to input 2 or 3 random characters of a memorable name

Feb 22, 2014 5:00 PM

Hello,

I have successfully created a login page(username+password) that links to an account page. But i would like to insert a middle page (post login) where the user need to type 2 or 3 random characters of a memorable name.

Any idea how to implement this please in Dreamweaver / PHP/MySQL ?

eg:

User type Username and Password... on login.php....he is sent to login2.php with two or three drop down box where he needs to input the respective character of this memorable name : ('elephant')

Enter 1st character of your memorable namee
Enter 5th character of your memorable nameh

Any help or idea how to proceed will be much appreciated...Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 22, 2014 8:08 PM   in reply to gurroby

I don't get it. What part is random? The memorable name? Then they need to "type" in a dropdown? Can you tell us the purpose behind this - maybe that will help.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2014 10:03 AM   in reply to gurroby

OK, so you are trying to implement a second level password using a phrase stored with the account, correct?  Why does it need to be random - that would be unusual. The user would need to remember their account, password and an additional phrase and then figure out which letter to enter? What purpose is that randomness intended to serve? The only thing I can imagine is to prevent a dictionary attack.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to understand why you want to implement this type of security. It doesn't seem useful to me.

The example you gave is a banking application and doesn't show a password, just the account and security code so I'm not sure how it applies.

In any case, what part are you stuck on? Do you know how to write PHP and use rand() ? Are you using DW's server behaviors?  Please provide more details about where you are stuck.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2014 6:10 PM   in reply to gurroby

Thanks, you too. Glad you got it worked out.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points