Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is this audio too far gone or can audition be of help?

Feb 23, 2014 8:51 AM

The linked short clip starts normally but at 10 seconds the gain drops and becomes distorted.  It was originally recorded with a sony hd cam and a wireless mic.  The mic is the obvious culprit.  There is about a 3 minute stretch out of a 90 minute presentation where the audio is corrupted.  I would really like to find a way to make it so that it would be at least understandable.  I have been using audition for a short time and know the basics and that is about it.  Are there audition effects that might help me out or is this a lost cause?

Thanks for any help  you might offer.

http://webhealing.com/video/samplecrap.wav

Dorothy

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 24, 2014 6:27 PM   in reply to dhgolden

I had a listen this morning (my time)...I tried yesterday but, for some reason, I couldn't get it to play.

It'll never be great quality but I suspect some noise reduction would yield something at least "usable".  I'd be happy to have a quick play and see where I get to if you can put the file somewhere I can download it rather than just listen.  Try box.net (quick and free and not requiring a downloaded app like dropbox) if you don't already have something else.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2014 7:36 PM   in reply to dhgolden

Yes, they do have PMs and I've just sent you one.

As I say, no guarantees and it'll never be great but I think it's worth seeing what we can do.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2014 10:18 PM   in reply to dhgolden

I've posted a tweaked version back to your Dropbox folder.

It's far from perfect but, in a pinch, at least some of it might be useable.

I agree with you that the distortion is more likely microphone related than to do with levels.  I've encountered some RF mics that can pull similar stunts when the batteries get a bit low--it might be worth checking that.

Anyhow, what I did was about 15 or 20 minutes playing so a bit of TLC might improve the results if you think it's going the right direction.  Let me know and, if so, I'll send you details of what I did so you can use that as a starting point.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2014 10:31 PM   in reply to Bob Howes

You're a good man Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2014 10:34 PM   in reply to SuiteSpot

You haven't heard the mess I made of his audio, Suitespot!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2014 10:50 PM   in reply to Bob Howes

I suspect that it was a mess before you started and that anything you did could only help

PM me sometime

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2014 5:59 AM   in reply to dhgolden

Dang, I should have written down what I did!

Anyhow, from memory, I:

Grabbed one side of your stereo file and used "Copy to New" since it was mono anyhow.  (I used the side with the higher levels)

Ran Noise Reduction (Process) 4 times, getting a new noise print each time with FFT sizes of 2048, 4096, 8192 and 16384 respectively.  I made each pass of NR pretty light to minimise artefacts...about 15% NR and reduction by 6dB.

I then moved to Audition 3 (this feature isn't in CS6 or CC) and ran the clip restoration--frankly, because it was not level related clipping I don't thing it did much so, if you can't do this bit, I wouldn't worry too much.

To aid the speech clarity, I used EQ (the 30 band graphic but this is an area I'd play with if doing it again) and knocked off all frequencies below 100Hz and everything above 8kHz.  I also put on a slight boost (around 4dB) in the 200-400Hz range.

Finally, I normalised to an average level.  If I was doing it again, I might play with some compression to reduce the dynamic range a bit.

None of this is set in stone, but have a play.

Happy to help.  Sometimes being retired and recovering from a heart op gets boring so little projects are fun!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2014 11:02 AM   in reply to dhgolden

There is the DeClipper effect under Diagnostics in later versions of Audition. Though I don't know if it would produce the same results as Clip Restoration in AA3. Something else for you to try Bob to help fill in any boring moments.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points