Skip navigation
JeffreyMGeorge
Currently Being Moderated

Can't Select IMG Or Make Hotspots

Feb 23, 2014 12:13 PM

Tags: #div #img #hotspt

I'm actually having 2 situations in the same file.

I've created a DIV and inserted an IMG inside the DIV. However, when I open Dreamweaver CS6 to work on the file I can't select the IMG. The Properties panel will only show that I have the DIV selected. But if I do an edit and place another DIV or P around the IMG then suddenly I can get to the image and see the Properties. I plan on creating an image map of this image so I gave it a name in the Map box. But when I try to create hotspots all it does is start dragging the image around. The tool doesn't turn into a selector to allow me to choose a hotspot.

What is going on with the file? Admittedly, it's been almost at least 6 months since I've used Dreamweaver, probably, but I've never had these problems before.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 23, 2014 12:18 PM   in reply to JeffreyMGeorge

Sounds like you're using an absolutely positioned div (APDiv) which won't work for image maps.

Take the image out of the positioned div.  Or better still, don't use positioning.  It's totally unnecessary for basic layouts.  

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2014 12:39 PM   in reply to JeffreyMGeorge

Remove all positioning.

The page is one large image that is going to be an image map.

That's not a very wise decision for a lot of reasons.  What if images are disabled by the end user to save bandwidth?  Don't laugh, many mobile users do it to save data minutes.  What about search engines, translators and screen readers that can't see images?  If your site contains no real text in headings and paragraphs, it doesn't exist.  And since it can neither be seen nor indexed, nobody will ever find your site on web searches.  Please rethink this approach.

See Creating your first web site in DW - (5-part tutorial)

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/first_website_pt1.htm l

Good luck!

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2014 5:30 PM   in reply to JeffreyMGeorge

A Photoshop design comp is a just that.  A design comp that needs to be sliced and diced into individual images for navigation, backgrounds, content areas, etc...  Do not let Photoshop generate your HTML code.  It's much too rigid and unstable for use in real sites.  Yyou need to re-create your layout with CSS and HTML in DW.  The insert your individual images into your layout or CSS backgrounds.

You have a lot of unnecessary CSS code.  Try making these changes.

#wrapper {

width: 100%;

left: 64px;

min-height: 100%;

min-width: 980px;

height: auto !important;

overflow: hidden;

top: 21px;

bottom: 0px;

margin-top: 0;

margin-right: auto;

margin-bottom: 0;

margin-left: auto;

z-index: 0;

visibility: visible;

text-align: left;

width: 1918px;

margin:0 auto;

}

Or, to save time, use one of the pre-built CSS Layouts that comes with DW.  Go to File > New > Blank page > HTML.  Choose a layout from the 3rd panel.  Hit Create.

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2014 6:13 PM   in reply to JeffreyMGeorge

Caused by overflow:hidden and the other unnecessary code that relates only to positioned elements.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points