• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shockwave Flash Plugin Generates Beeping Sound

New Here ,
Feb 23, 2014 Feb 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Firefox v27.0.1 and activate the Shockwave Flash v 12.0.0.70 plugin on startup.  I am running iMac os 10.9.1.

Every minute or so my computer beeps at me after I start Firefox.  I have verified that if I stop the Shockwave Flash Plugin, or change the settings so that it is not activated when I start Firefox, then the beeping stops.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Paul

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2014 Feb 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firefox crashed a few minutes after I posted this question and my iMac did report the crash to Adobe.  Here is a link to the crash report

https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/report/index/26e09c92-4321-4fa2-b124-bb35f2140224 reason = EXC_BAD_ACCESS / KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS

I'm not hearing the beeping anymore since restarting Firefox 1/2 hour ago AND the Shockwave  Flash plugin is active.  

paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2014 Feb 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The beep you hear is coming from OS X.

You can turn alert sounds down or all the way off

1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2014 Mar 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike, the sound I'm hearing is not a Built-in O.S. sound. 

I'm still having the issue and just verified again the following:

Start Firefox

Observe Shockwave Flash in the Activity Monitor

Random beeping starts - every 30-60 seconds

Quit out of Shockwave Flash via Activity Monitor

Beeping stops.

What is going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is something in Firefox, either a webpage you're on, or a plug-in that's updating on a time table, causing the beep. I have Firefox as my primary browser on Windows XP, Vista, 7, Server 2008, 8, 8.1, OS10.6.8 Server, OS 10.7.5, OS 10.8.5, and OS10.9.2, and I have never seen this behavior in any of them. The Windows 8 and OS 10.9.2 are Beta and the rest are the latest release (27 Mac and 28 Win).

Try disabling Extensions one by one unti it quits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed Mike, and I think I have identified the plug-in as Shockwave Flash.  When I disable it, the beeping stops.

paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The behavior is not consistent.  I went to a site that had a video embedded on the main page and this caused the Shockwave Flash plug-in to load.  That was about an hour ago and not a peep or beep from the computer since then.  So, there must be a combination, or order, of events required to reproduce the problem.

paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 20, 2014 Apr 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same beeping problem but using Win 7, Firefox and Adobe Flash Player 13.0 r0. 

Does anyone have an answer to this annoying problem as yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2014 Apr 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Point is... Shockwave and Flash are players. They play content (audio or video) that something else generates. They don't make sound or picture content on their own - they lack the API to do so. There's software (or malware) elsewhere on the system that's making the beeping sound and it's using Flash or Shockwave to do it, but the plug-in isn't the cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 07, 2014 May 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your reply, Mike.

What is the best way to identify the cause/source and what would you recommend to fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines