Skip navigation
K J 27
Currently Being Moderated

When I try to assign files to albums, I get the message "error applying keyword tags"

Feb 23, 2014 4:19 PM

Tags: #organizer #10 #pse #photoshop_elements

This just started to happen, not sure why.  I don't assign or use keywords.  It does it on all albums.  I made new albums and it did not work, even on the new albums.  There was one album that did not have the problem, but when I tried to transfer an afftected album's files to it, it developed the problem.  I reset the preferences in both Organizer and Editor, and that did not help.  It prevents me from moving files out of as well as into albums.  Any ideas on what caused this and what I can do about it?  Thanks for any help.    

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 24, 2014 12:01 AM   in reply to K J 27

It looks like a PSE12 bug when working with converted catalogs of previous versions.

The recommended workaround is to create a new 'dummy' album and move your pictures there. After that, you should be able to work normally with the right albums, and delete the dummy album.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2014 8:43 AM   in reply to K J 27

Since this is not the PSE12 albums bug, I would try creating a new album. From the old album, select all items and assign them to the new one.

Does it work and if not, at what stage is there an error ?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2014 9:27 AM   in reply to K J 27

Did you try to 'repair' from the catalog manager ?

You say you are not using keywords. Keep in mind that the main difference with using a common keyword or creating an album is the ability to sort your pictures. It would be useful to see if you can assign a common keyword to the items of a faulty album. That would help understand the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2014 12:03 PM   in reply to K J 27

K J 27 wrote:

I can assign and remove keywords with no problem.  I have not tried to repair the catalog for fear that I’d screw something else up.

Good news. There is no risk with repairing the catalog and that is generally the first thing to do when something goes wrong.

Note that if you want to be safe before doing a major change in the catalog, you always can duplicate your catalog folder (location : Menu Help / system info).

Now, slight change to my former suggestion. Apply a common keyword to all the items of a corrupted album. Deselect the album, and create a new one. Without any album selected, select all the items with the common keyword and move them to the new empty album. You'll lose any custom album sort order, but the new album should be ok.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2014 11:45 PM   in reply to K J 27

A last try:

- what if you try to move the pictures with the common keyword (no album selected) to a new subfolder via the organizer,

- delete them from the catalog

- delete the catalog itself

- and re-import them ?

There is clearly something wrong with 'normal' or new albums as well in your case.

Your experience shows that the problem is not only in some albums, it's linked to the catalog itself. If you can create a new catalog and reimport the files of your test album and work normally, then you can test that other catalogs are ok. Otherwise, if all catalogs have the same problems, it's linked to the organizer itself, but I doubt it since you have already deleted the organizer prefs (the psa.prf and status in your 'Roaming' folder).

I have found that sometimes, using a newer version of Elements (a trial one if you want) and converting the catalog can solve problems; but on the other hand, PSE12 has new problems with converted catalogs... Also, the backup and restore process probably can't help because the catalog database is just copied, not converted.

What you have done with your test albums means that any meaningful organization is safely stored into the files metadata section, so that you can recover it in other PSE versions, Lightroom, Windows explorer or many organizing softwares. Of course with a large number of albums, that looks like a huge job.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2014 11:06 PM   in reply to K J 27

Thanks for the feedback. That may help other users with similar problems.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points