Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I restore Premiere titles that have mysteriously converted to .avi in timeline and explorer.

Feb 23, 2014 11:30 PM

Tags: #avi #premiere #title #convert #convert_to_avi

Just opened a Premiere project and went to edit a title. Although the title still shows up as a purple clip, and is still in the same location in the project explorer, it is no longer able to be edited, but instead plays like an AVI file. Also, it seems the underlying video and title have been merged into one clip on the timeline instead of two overlapping clips.

I have no idea why or how this has happened or if it can be reversed. There are quite a few titles in this project and all are the same... Help!

Screenshot below: See in the project explorer where the title files have been converted, plus in the timeline how all videos are compressed on Track 1 as a newly created avi.

Title_gone.JPG

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 24, 2014 12:18 AM   in reply to Herr Montag

Does not seem possible without some user action..

Too weird!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2014 9:51 AM   in reply to Herr Montag
    I have no idea why or how this has happened

The only possible way it could have happened is someone exported video and title as a new .avi file and replaced the title in the sequence with that new clip.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2014 11:38 AM   in reply to Herr Montag

Looks unlikely in such a well organised Project Window but...do the Titles exist (as titles) anywhere in the Bins?

Did the original title also have the image in it or was it a "super" with alpha channel over the image in a separate video layer?

No doubt in my mind that someone has rendered this out as an avi.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2014 8:01 AM   in reply to Herr Montag

Jim...there must be another way this could happen. There is no way it was done manually.

There really isn't.  Someone exported that title and clip into a new .avi file.  Assuming an ordered universe without magic, the process you describe really is the only possible way to get this result.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2014 11:41 AM   in reply to Herr Montag

Got me beat and I would love to hear about it ..if you ever discover how it occured.

1. If you right click on the avi and use "Reveal in Explorer / Finder"

...is the avi file in anywhere logical to you and the rest of the media?

2. If you then do a test clip and Export to Media using AVI..it may default to the Export Location as above in 1. or not.

Not exactly sure what this proves at the moment except it may determine user involvement in the issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2014 8:59 AM   in reply to Herr Montag

The thing that confused me was them being AVI's

Were they really?  Or was that just part of the clip name?  The Edit Original behavior suggests the latter.  Genuine AVI files would have required the aforementioned export process.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points