Skip navigation
murky muffly
Currently Being Moderated

14.2.1 update Save for Web not working

Feb 25, 2014 8:45 AM

Opening up an image I made moments ago through Save for Web dialog (as a normal 'web' 72 dpi image) returns a 300dpi image every time. Not functioning. This happens every time since the update to 14.2.1. I thought it must be me somehow, but it is the software.

I am running 10.8.5 on a 6-core 3.33 GHz

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 25, 2014 9:31 AM   in reply to murky muffly

have you reset the SFW preferences (google it)

and not dinked around with its default settings (SFW saves 72ppi by default, i recall)

how are you determing it is 300ppi...

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 25, 2014 1:18 PM   in reply to murky muffly

Under what conditions are you finding the ppi metadata to matter in a web image?  Just curious.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 25, 2014 4:37 PM   in reply to murky muffly

Yes, I am serious.

When I want to save a JPEG that has a particular ppi value I use File - Save As.

So I ask again:  What is your use for your images that you're using Save for Web and care about the ppi?  Perhaps there's another way to get what you want rather than through Save For Web.

I'm not being critical - I promise.  I just thought maybe I could suggest alternatives.

-Noel

P.S., The ppi normally doesn't matter when images are displayed on the web.  HTML usually is used to size images by pixels or points.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2014 6:00 PM   in reply to murky muffly

In the save for web dialog do you have Metadata set to None?

Untitled-1.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2014 6:21 PM   in reply to murky muffly

That's probaly why because the resolution is part of the metadata.

If you use None, then that strips all the metadata from the file including the resolution.

(since there is no resolution and operating systen hass to assign some value, the usual reading is 72)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2014 6:41 PM   in reply to murky muffly

I think i get what your saying though.

If you have an image open that has a resolution of 300, then change the resolution in the Image Size dialog to 72

and using Save for Web with All for the metadata, it stll saves the image with the 300 resolution?

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 25, 2014 8:50 PM   in reply to murky muffly

I just want to mention again that the ppi value in the metadata makes no difference in any web display mechanism that I know of - just the pixel count matters (i.e., how many actual pixels horizontally and vertically the image has).  That is why I was curious about why it is that you feel you need the ppi value to be 72 (which, incidentally, isn't the actual resolution of any modern computer monitor I know of).

I can only guess that you're focusing on the ppi value as an indirect way to set the pixel counts in your output images.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points