Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash Player always wants me to download again

Jun 22, 2006 5:21 PM

This has been going on for quite sometime and I've just never found any solution. On sites with Flash it asks me to download the player. I have the player already, but I download it anyway. The box on the Flash site shows that yes, I do have Flash installed now. Then I go back to the site that uses Flash and I'm back to the start - please download Flash Player.

I can't understand why if it's on my computer, why the site keeps asking me to download it again, yet it shows I do have it on my computer.

I started to use Macromedia Flash 8 Training from the Source, James English, and needed to play Flash in one of the tutorials. It sent me to the download site. I downloaded, shows the Flash movement in the sample box that if you have Flash you will see it in the box. I go back to the Flash site and once again - wants me to download Flash.

So it's just a continuous circle with no end.

Would anyone have ANY idea at all why something like this would happen? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I don't know what else to try.

PJ Kinann
pjkinann@aol.com

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 22, 2006 5:24 PM   in reply to Pea-Jay
    I too have had this problem for a week now. It is driving me INSANE. I do everything the installation guide says yet nothing.

Please help!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2006 6:04 PM   in reply to Pea-Jay
    not just you 2 - there's usually 1/2 dozen posts exactly like this every day in this forum - just
    within the past 2 days a couple have replied with their solutions (restarting their browsers) and
    what-not - there's also a flash player forum you may want to search.

--> **Adobe Certified Expert**
    --> www.mudbubble.com
    --> www.keyframer.com

Pea-Jay wrote:
    > Oh wow...........sorry you're having the problem too, but glad to know it's not
    > just me! So now maybe someone will help! I hope so. Yeah, I've uninstalled
    > and installed dozens of times and I still can't view a Flash page. This is so
    > crazy!
    >
    > Well, let's hope we get support. Thanks for posting too!!
    >
    >

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2006 6:18 PM   in reply to Pea-Jay
    I just searched using my newsgroup client:

"I've been having exactly the same problem and just saw elsewhere that if you re-load flash from
    http://www.adobe.com/go/full_flashplayer_win_ie it will reload and work. I did, and it did!"

hope this helps.

--> www.mudbubble.com
    --> www.keyframer.com

Pea-Jay wrote:
    > (restarting their browsers)
    > thanks - that does not work
    > even rebooting the computer
    >
    > it's far more serious -
    > okay, I'll check the flash player forum
    > didn't realize there was one
    > thank you very much for that information
    >

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2006 4:21 PM   in reply to Pea-Jay
    No luck - I just found this thread

I tried this download and it did not work

I'm sorry but don't you think that it is a little odd that a lot of users (from all over the place) are all of a sudden reporting the same problem???

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 23, 2006 6:29 PM   in reply to Pea-Jay
    I do find it odd - well, maybe odd aint the right word - but this issue has been around for a while
    - i think i wanna say since win XP and SP2 mostly.

--> www.mudbubble.com
    --> www.keyframer.com

digriz2 wrote:
    > No luck - I just found this thread
    >
    > I tried this download and it did not work
    >
    > I'm sorry but don't you think that it is a little odd that a lot of users
    > (from all over the place) are all of a sudden reporting the same problem???
    >

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 24, 2006 5:02 AM   in reply to Pea-Jay

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2006 1:50 PM   in reply to digriz2
    Hi Pea-Jay,

It'll be a miracle if anyone sees this, but I'm ready to step in front of a truck! This cycle of uninstall/install has me undone. I did report the bug, and did install the previous member's suggested fix, but no success. Has anybody recently had results?

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2006 1:55 PM   in reply to Newsgroup_User
    Hello, Chris,

I think the link you recommended has been the fix: can I save this somewhere, effectively, to ensure future access to it?

Thanks,

bamboozled!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2006 1:56 PM   in reply to Newsgroup_User
    Hello, Chris,

I think the link you recommended has been the fix: can I save this somewhere, effectively, to ensure future access to it?

Thanks,

bamboozled!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2011 12:30 PM   in reply to bamboozled

I recently joined this forum because I was going mad over the Flash Player on my PC which installes OK but after a couple of days although it still shows I have it on my PC every web site that needs Flash Player does not work properly and it tells me I need to install the latest version . I have the latest version If I go to get the latest version as I am directed it is the same one as I have already. If I go through the procedure of installing it again in a couple of days the same thing happens .

Afterr posting originlly yesterday I see I am not alone and that questions have been asked for a number of years. Has anyone come up with a solution in November  2011 ??????

I HAVE WINDOWS7 with IE9

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2011 6:49 PM   in reply to annanon

IE9 may have some problems of it's own but here are a couple of things to look at.

First, open IE and go to "Tools" on the menu bar. Then manage "Add ons". Look for the "Shockwave Flash Object".... this is your Flash pluggin. Write down or copy paste the version number.

Then next time you are asked to update, compare the available version number with the version number you already have as an Add On in IE.

A second problem that has come up many times, is that some Flash applications created with the newest version of Flash, expects that the user has "swfobject version 11" installed.... basically meaning Flash Player version 11. View the source code for the Flash Object on the page you are visiting if you have trouble viewing the Flash... see if it's asking for "swfobject version 11".

So even if you have the latest Flash pluggin of version 10.3 .....whatever.... it's not version 11. I have seen some few sites work asking for 11 but many do not... so they post here in the Forum wondering why their pages don't display... I don't know, but when I suggest that they change the object embed code to an older version, version 10 or so..... then their pages magically start to work.

I am just guessing but it seems that the very newest version of Adobe Flash expects that all viewers will have the ultra modern version 11.... hoping to stay ahead of the curve or something like that... but in fact Adobe is shooting itself in the foot because that version 11... for whatever reasons, doesn't always seem to work.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points