• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

sharedObject question .. 1 or multiple ?

Engaged ,
Mar 10, 2014 Mar 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wondering whats better to do..

Have 1 shared object for my app to hold various variables... or have a seperate shared object for my needs. 

eg. Shared Object for Highscore .. Shared Object for Achievements ..  Shared Object for Settings

Thoughts ?

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s an interesting question, shared objects have a default size of 100kb, but I’m not sure if that is per sharedobject or per app. Hopefully you can keep below 100kb per app anyway.

I choose to have separate shared objects, but each of those might do more than one thing. The kinds of things I track are user progress, what help screens they’ve seen, are they a first time user. I just find it easier to have separate files than to have one app file that I then have to extra the data from. But, for tracking help I have one file, and not one per mini game.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I personally prefer to save separated shared objects. One for the configuration of the app itself. If it was a game, I would set scores on a different one. And token information (to keep Twitter/Facebook users permanently connected) could also be stored this way. 

This is the function I´m using to save different values on different shared object files:

static public function saveSharedObject(fileName:String, soNode:String, soContents:Object):void

{

var so:SharedObject = SharedObject.getLocal(fileName);

so.data[soNode] = soContents;

so.flush();

}

How to call it:

static public const SHAREDOBJECT_SETUP:String = 'soSetup';

static public const SHAREDOBJECT_TWITTER:String = 'soTwitter';

static public const SHAREDOBJECT_FACEBOOK:String = 'soFacebook';

UtilitiesPaths.saveSharedObject(ApplicationLibModel.SHAREDOBJECT_SETUP, 'useSounds', applicationMobileLibModel.useSounds.toString());

It´s quite clean for me. The first param is the name of the shared object file (I store them in constants). The second one is the name of the variable to store on that file. The third one is the value of the variable (in this example, its a boolean variable binded to a checkbox that enables or disables app sounds).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here’s a sharedobject tip:

When iOS gets low of available storage sharedobjects and other ways to save data will fail. You should put flush() into a try/catch. so that your app doesn’t crash.

What you then do on error is up to you. I’ve using sharedobjects to know if the user has got to a given level. If that fails it makes users stay on level 1. So, if there is an error I unlock all of the levels.

You could choose to show a warning to the user, to tell them that storage is low, if you want them to clear some space to make the app work properly again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never thought about that possibility. I´ll better show up a popup message on a try/catch if the flush() method fails due to low storage, as you said. Thanks, Colin!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The other thing that fails it reading the sharedobject. It doesn’t cause an error that crashes the app, but it does give you null values for your stored data. That’s when I decide to unlock levels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines