• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

No CUDA acceleration from GTX 780 Ti - Premiere Pro CC & After Effects CC ?

Explorer ,
Mar 12, 2014 Mar 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I recently upgraded my computer to accomondate my move to Adobe CC on PC:

• Windows 8.1 64-bit
  • Latest Nvidia drivers
  • Intel i7 4930K @ 4.5GHz
  • 2x GTX 780 Ti SLI
  • 32GB DDR3 2400MHz RAM
  • 2x SSD Vertex 2 60GB @ raid0

When I'm rendered clips using both Mercury Playback Software Engine Software Only and Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA), the program behaves exactly the same and it takes the same time to do the rendering.

Exporting a 6 minute clip takes well over 2 hours to render - which obviously cannot be right.

Is there a setting I'm missing?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

BR

Andreas

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guru , Mar 12, 2014 Mar 12, 2014

See Tweakers Page - What video card to use? and specifically the red warning boxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your link, John. Much appreciated.

From what I can read and understand, Adobe does not certify the GTX 780 Ti for use with Premiere Pro CC and After Effects CC, and I find that extremely strange from a business point of view.

We use the entire CS6/CC range of programs, and we recently made a significant investment into hardware to get us up to speed with the latest and fastest. This includes the Nvidia GTX 780 Ti. There are a lot of us out there with the latest hardware using Adobe's products, and we're stuck with the Mercury Playback Software Engine Software Only.

Rendering clips is virtually pointless on our brand new hardware and it takes 10x longer now than on the old hardware... This effectively forces us (and a lot of others) to move away from Adobe's products - which is unfortunate as they are so good!.

Perhaps I was to fast in assuming that a large coperations as Adobe would be on top of their certification process.

Anyway, I now have a major problem to address: How to replace Premiere Pro and After Effects. Any suggestions?

Best Regards

/Andreas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andreas,

See this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1369504?tstart=0

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin and thanks for a very quick reply,

I saw this post previously:

There has been a change in how we address officially unsupported cards in Premiere Pro CC.

If your card meets all other requirements, the biggest being 1 GB of dedicated VRAM and up to date drivers including CUDA specific drivers on some machines, and Premiere is up-to-date, then the system will detect an unsupported card that may still work and prompt you with a dialog that says you can turn on CUDA acceleration at your own risk.  This way you do not need to wait for us to officially add your specific card.

I'm running two ASUS GTX 780 Ti reference design cards in SLI on an ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition LGA 2011 motherboard, and I'm not getting any dialog box message saying Premiere Pro (or After Effects) is detecting my cards. When in After Effects and entering Edit -> Preferences -> Previews I can click on "GPU Information..." and here I can select the tickbox "Enable untested...acceleration" This is the only place where I get some kind of warning about using my GPUs.

In Premiere Pro, under Project Settings, I can select Mercury CUDA, not no warning appear.

Am I missing some other settings perhaps?

Finally, it doesn't matter which setting I use; CUDA or software - the rendering time is still the same.

Thanks,

Andreas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ajedesign wrote:

I'm not getting any dialog box message saying Premiere Pro (or After Effects) is detecting my cards. When in After Effects and entering Edit -> Preferences -> Previews I can click on "GPU Information..." and here I can select the tickbox "Enable untested...acceleration" This is the only place where I get some kind of warning about using my GPUs.

In Premiere Pro, under Project Settings, I can select Mercury CUDA, not no warning appear.

Andreas,

Perhaps you previously clicked through the warning dialog box in Premiere Pro? If you see an option for Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (CUDA), then you are set up correctly. Nothing more to worry about. Same thing for After Effects.

Finally, it doesn't matter which setting I use; CUDA or software - the rendering time is still the same.

When you say "rendering," do you mean rendering effects previews or exporting out of Premiere Pro? If you are talking about exporting, it is a CPU based process so GPU acceleration is largely not used (exceptions listed here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3377595)

If you use CUDA accelerated effects, they should play in real time. I can place many effects on a clip and it will still play in real time.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

I should say exporting, because that's what takes time. However, the real-time rendering while working with the sequence is also incapable of handling things smoothly. I always have to pre-render a lot of the clips.

But like I just wrote, thank you so much for the great replies here at Adobe forum. Really excellent help!

Thanks

/Andreas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ajedesign wrote:

Hi again,

I should say exporting, because that's what takes time.

Thanks for the clarification.

However, the real-time rendering while working with the sequence is also incapable of handling things smoothly. I always have to pre-render a lot of the clips.

Can you try GPU accelerated effects? I placed 7 effects (we call them effects in Premiere Pro, not "filters") on a clip and had no need to render with GPU acceleration on. The clip played back perfectly smooth.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2014 Mar 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that it takes time to certify a new graphics card but the GTX780ti is the most powerful consumer graphics card on the market. I know its not a professional card but its what most people who are serious would run at home. I have a Quadro system at work but for my home system I have a 780ti.

It seems silly that with the ability to install on 2 machines that the most powerful consumer card isn't supported yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Mar 15, 2014 Mar 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep in mind that even though it has not been "approved" it still works just fine.

Adobe is just cautious. For example, the GTX680 is approved, but not my GTX670 which is virtually the same card with a bit less power. Adobe can't be sure that the firmware wasn't messed up when it was cut down to size for the GTX670. It wasn't, but Adobe would have to test so many cards.

Instead, they just allow it to work but if the manufacturer messed up, then Adobe doesn't have to take responsibility for it.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To my knowledge, Premiere only supports a single GPU card, sorry if someone misinformed you causing the extra GTX 780 purchase.

But in regards to the "6 minute clips taking 2 hours to render", that seems a bit ridiculous for a render time. Can you please provide more details as to the source video, effects being used, and export settings? Video Denoiser filters can take quite a while, but even then 2 hours is over the top! There are plenty of folks here more than willing to help you to get the best experience with Adobe

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jeff,

I've made a new small clip for testing purposes. It consits of a standard Canon 5D mk iii .mov clip: 1280*720, 50fps. It is 28 seconds long ->243MB file size

I crop it in Premiere Pro, slow it down to 50% speed and ad a simle mp3 soundtrack. The exported clip is now 36 seconds long. No filters or other effects added.

It takes approximately 25 seconds to render it on either CUDA or software engines. Turning SLI on/off also make no difference. Looking at the taskmanager/MSI afterburner, there are no movement on my GPU's but the CPU utilizes all six cores @ 50% - 100%.

A small clip like this should be done more of less instantly I think, but it's way better than using my project clip which uses effects, scaling etc.

/Andreas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Tweakers Page - What video card to use? and specifically the red warning boxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cc_merchant,

I guess that closes that issue. Strange not to let the GPU's handle the export, or at least share the workload with the CPU. Anyway, I'm really grateful for your really quick and helpful inputs. I guess the only thing to do now is to get a couple of Xenon's instead...

Let's close this thread, thanks.

BR

Andreas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andreas,

The DSLR footage is H.264-based and takes a fair amount of  processing power to decode, and if encoding back to an H.264 format, that also takes more power to encode. Anything faster than realtime is reasonable, so your speed looks fine. It was the 2 hour encode for a 6 minute source that made no sense.

Thanks

Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2014 Jun 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell me that Adobe is going to have something for this card soon (GTX 780 ti). Thank you Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 03, 2014 Jun 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joeynhia wrote:

Please tell me that Adobe is going to have something for this card soon (GTX 780 ti). Thank you Adobe

They won't mention support for specific cards in any upcoming version of Pr; it's not how Adobe works.

If you want to use the cards, use them.  Remove the cuda_supported_cards.txt from the Pr and AME directories if you want to use the cards without the warning dialog popping up.  Whether you remove the file or not, the card will work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2014 Jun 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Jason. It seems that I have to upgrade to CC to get it to work. Mine is greyed out in CS6 . I have a friend who is a professor at UNLV and he will let me be part of his account this July when she rolls her Adobe CC over again..So i'll be good come July. Thank you so much for responding to me. God Bless

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 05, 2014 Jun 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Joeynhia wrote:

Thank you so much Jason. It seems that I have to upgrade to CC to get it to work. Mine is greyed out in CS6

Assuming you have the right nVidia drivers installed, and you've deleted the cuda file from the Pr installation directory, MPE Hardware mode should be enabled.  Did you do all of those things?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines