Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Flash to reach and use advanced actions made in Captivate

New Here ,
Mar 18, 2014 Mar 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I'm building my playbar in Flash and everythign is going smoothly.

I was looking for a way to show my glossary throughout the movie and I set up some advanced actions to test this out within captivate. I did it this way as I didn't see a variable for this specific thing.

So is there a way to call to, reach and activate these actions through flash and my playbar?

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have used advanced actions to show/hide a glossary that is displayed for the rest of the project, but only with advanced actions, not with Flash, not with a button on the playbar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The actions work great through captivate, but the things that I am having a tough time with and why i was asking about the actions scenario, is that both the Glossary and Table of Contents don't seem to ahve their own variables or variables that actually work.

We really want this playbar to work completely through flash so that we can just customize it for every project but if it isn't meant to be, then that is ok.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No associated variables, but to show/hide it you can create a user variable (just like for other objects you want to show/hide), mostly I label it v_visib. And I give it a default value of 0, will act as a boolean.

To have a button that toggles the widget on/off, you'll need a conditional action:

IF v_visib is equal to 0

Show TOC

Assign v_visib with 1

ELSE

Hide TOC

Assign v_visib with 0

Pretty simple, I don't like to do programming with AS or JS when it can be done in an easier way.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2014 Mar 24, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Lily,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the late reply on my part. Just trying to get this thing working. 😃

So, I took what you said with the action and I will definitely be using that but I also found a way to do what I was trying to do, which was reach a user created variable. It's pretty simple, honestly. It was just a matter of finding the code. So, if you wanted to display a certain usermade variable as text in your movie, you would just creat something like this below:

var myRoot:MovieClip = MovieClip(root);

var mainmov:MovieClip = MovieClip(myRoot.parent.root);

textfield.text = mainmov.cpEIGetValue('m_VarHandle.Your_Text');

and that's really all you have to do to read it! obviously it's a little more involved if you want to use it as a Boolean or something else with your actionscript but at least now I know how to access my own variables. Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources