• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I alt tag the TOC button that appears at the top of the menu?

Enthusiast ,
Mar 25, 2014 Mar 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running the current version of Cp7 on a windows 7 machine.

A 508 hang up once again: The customer insists on an active TOC for the project file. We've activated the TOC and it works fine, but there's a secondary TOC expand/collapse button located at the top of the slide right here:

1.PNG

Although I can change the icon for the expand/collapse TOC in the TOC setting menu:

2.PNG

I can't put an alt tag on the button, meaning that JAWS and other screen readers just reads it as an unnamed button - which would be "bad" if you're trying to pass a 508 compliance test - which I am. I know alt tags don't travel with the image file, and I can't find any way to access the file in Captivate to give it an accessibility name. Anybody have a workaround?

Justenuf

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 25, 2014 Mar 25, 2014

You can replace the current image with one of your own choosing.  But even if you make the replacement just a one pixel GIF, I think it will still register somewhere in the screenreader as a button. 

However, to be fair to Captivate, you can use the TOC button on the playbar to activate the TOC if need be, or you can set up on screen buttons to do that.

Personally, I wouldn't be using an overlay TOC at all.  I'd be trying for a Separate TOC so that it was available all the time.

However, I had rea

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can replace the current image with one of your own choosing.  But even if you make the replacement just a one pixel GIF, I think it will still register somewhere in the screenreader as a button. 

However, to be fair to Captivate, you can use the TOC button on the playbar to activate the TOC if need be, or you can set up on screen buttons to do that.

Personally, I wouldn't be using an overlay TOC at all.  I'd be trying for a Separate TOC so that it was available all the time.

However, I had read somewhere on this forum (a year or so back) about someone else finding that the links on the TOC itself were not completely 508 compliant.  So maybe you're just chasing your tail here if you're trying to achieve perfect 508 compliance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a case of "look at the pretty, shiny, new things" Rod - the customer fell in love with the overlay TOC and thinks the separate TOC looks bad. I've got the TOC button active on the playbar, and it works perfectly - but I can't get rid of he button at the top of the TOC. I'm chasing my tail, no doubt, since I am just opening this can of worms regarding 508 compliance and the TOC - will commence a hunt through the forum for stuff about TOCs and 508 (since it isn't addressed in my current bible Infosemantics: Troubleshooting Captivate_6x_7x - glad to insert the plug - it's a great go-to resource) to try and convince he organization this is not worth the time and effort we're expending for an option most trainees are not going to use.

Justenuf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 28, 2014 Mar 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

FYI for anyone looking here for information about the TOC and accessibility - I just heard back from Adobe after reporting this issue - it's a known bug, meaning the TOC fails accessibility testing and is not 508 compliant.

A long way of saying Rod was right...

Justenuf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources