• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Favicon not working in IE

Participant ,
Mar 26, 2014 Mar 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When viewing my WebHelp locally, generated with RH10, my favicon displays in FireFox and Chrome, but not in IE.

I have tried:

1. Using the default line: <link rel="shortcut icon" href="whstart.ico">
  2. Using a different name for the favicon (e.g., "favicon.ico", "myicon.ico").
  3. Using caps for "SHORT ICON".
  4. Clearing my cache and retesting.
  5. Using these alternate lines that specify type and put the image in a different folder location:
    <link rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon" href="image/myicon.ico" />
    <link rel="icon" type="image/x-icon" href="image/myicon.ico" />
  6. Using the old RH script to provide the http reference to the file location:
    <script language="javascript">
    <!--
    var sIcon="myicon.ico";
    var sPath=document.location.href;
    if (sPath.indexOf("http")!= -1)
    document.write("<link REL=\"SHORTCUT ICON\" href=\""+ sIcon +"\">");
    //-->
    </script>
  7. Verifying that my .ico file is indeed an .ico file, and using alternate .ico files.

In all cases, the favicon works correctly in FireFox and Chrome, but does not work in IE.  I am using IE 11.  I tried switching the IE Document Mode to an earlier version.  No change.

Since the .png file format is supposed to work with IE, I tried using a .png file instead of an .ico file.  Still did not work in IE.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

Tim

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like an IE11 issue, not a RH one. What does google say about IE11 and favicons?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thought I had replied to this earlier. Looks like it was a figment of my vast imagination. LOL

See if this link helps...

http://www.webmasterworld.com/html/3654266.htm

Like many other things, seems IE doesn't play like the others.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked Google and previous RH posts, and tried the recommendations I saw (listed above).  None worked.  I will add one curious observation.  When I deleted the bookmarked site, the icon associated with the bookmarked site (see Favorites > OMD_SEQ in image below) updated to the favicon (named myicon.ico) in IE 11 but the favicon on the tab (which I would have thought would have had to be the same icon since I am not specifying any other icons) is still the default IE icon (see tab in image below).

ie_icon_1.png

This would seem to suggest to me that IE found the favicon (myicon.ico) and recognized it as a valid icon file (which I know it is).

I'm wondering if IE just doesn't pick up the favicon for the browser tab if the web page is being viewed locally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wondered the same thing about viewing locally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I thought I saw a reference to someplace saying that IE didn’t play well with local HTML pages & favicons, but I lost the page where I saw it. Grrr!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp