Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Prevent Users From Retaking Quiz

New Here ,
Mar 26, 2014 Mar 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Afternoo,

I have a module that I do not want the users to retake the quiz after they have taken the quiz one time. The users need to get a 90 percent to pass for completion. Also I would like to use a advance action that checks the number of attempts and if it is equal to 1 then they them jump to another slide stating that they have already taken this quiz. 

See my screen shots below of my setting and my advance actions. My question is is there something I am missing? Because everytime I upload this on our LMS I continue to be allowed to take the quiz again.

Thank You for your help

Captivate 6

Mac OSX 10.6.8

Screen shot 2014-03-26 at 4.00.25 PM.pngScreen shot 2014-03-26 at 4.03.09 PM.png

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not just put the number of attempts on Quiz level to 1? And don't allow Review.

About your advanced action: you don't tell how you do trigger this action. You have to know that the system variable that you are using is set to 1 when the first question slide is entered. If you allow only one attempt, that variable will always keep that value 1.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Captivate output does not 'remember' how many times the module has been launched or what the learner's score was.  Tracking user interaction with learning modules is the role of the LMS.

So you should really be setting the number of attempts in Captivate to 1, and then setting the number of launch attempts in the LMS to 1 as well.  If the learner does not pass the module on their first attempt, Captivate will require them to relaunch, but then the LMS will have seen they've done one launch already and prevent the second launch.  Your LMS administrator should be able to configure this for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2014 Mar 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Lilybriri

Are you saying that if I use the cpQuizInfoAttempts that it is already 1? I thought this action is triggered when I set the Quiz Properties to 1 Attempt the system variable reads that?

I have to have two attempts at the Quiz Level and that is giving the participants two chances to get the answer right but not giving them two chances to take the quiz.

So should I set the the system variable equal to 2 then?

I think this is a little confusing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2014 Mar 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You misunderstand the system variable, and the way advanced actions work: they have to be triggered by an event (http://blog.lilybiri.com/events-and-advanced-actions) and setting the attempts to a certain number is not an event. Moreover it is a system variable that will track which attempt is started, it is not a fixed number but can never get higher than the number you specified in Quiz Preferences. Think about a  score: cpQuizInfoPointsscored is always lower than the maximum score cpQuizInfoTotalQuizPoints. There is no system variable for the maximum attempts.

http://blog.lilybiri.com/system-variables-in-captivate-6   for more info about system variables

http://blog.lilybiri.com/new-features-in-captivate-7-dot-01   for the new variables added in 7

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2014 Mar 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Lilybiri, this helps understand system variables a little better. Is there a way to have the user not retake a quiz if they already took it once?

I am trying to have a advance action  that runs at the first slide that looks at the number of attempts, or if they started the quiz and if its more that 1 it sends them to another slide in the module stating they already took the quiz and they can only exit out of the module. Is that possibe?

With the system variable I thought I could use that but it doesn't seem to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not just set the maximum number of attempts on Quiz level to 1? Another link:

http://blog.lilybiri.com/question-question-slides-in-captivate

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That could possibly work but I have to have each question with two attempts?

Couldn't I create a variable to track user attempts? Or Quiz attempts

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you read the post from the last link that I posted? Maybe you'll understand the difference between attemps on question and on quiz level. I was talking about Quiz level, which can be different from attemps on Question level.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh Ha! I did I appologize I miss read that attempts on Quiz Level set to one right. Ironically I have it set to 1 but it still does not work how it should. Setting attempts at the Quiz level will allow the user to only take the Quiz one time correct?

I have my attempts set to 1 but the user is still allowed to take the quiz again. I was trying to create a advance action that runs when the attempts are greater than 1, it jumps to a slide that tells them you have already taken this quiz.

Any Ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something mus be wrong with your settings! If you allow only one attempt on Quiz level, the Retake button will never appear on the score slide (maybe the Review if you activated that option), and all answers are blocked.

You can have multiple attempts on Question level, but they have to be exhausted before leaving the question slide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Apr 04, 2014 Apr 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may not be able to achieve what you want depending on your LMS and how Captivate sets the SCORM exit. Not all LMS's handle this situation the same.

As Lilybiri pointed out, within Captivates settings something must be wrong, you are not showing the rest of the quiz settings either.

Your status representation should be set to pass/fail. When the SCO is relaunched Captivate may see the "fail" and depending on your settings, not allow the retake when it reaches the quiz, it would be in review mode.

The LMS does report that you are not on an initial attempt, but how CP uses this along with the success status, the exit type and your progress in the suspend data, it may be difficult to find the right combination. I would imagine you do not want to set Exit to Normal After Completion.

You can read this, but since you have to deal with CP's inner workings also and how it uses suspend data, along with your quiz settings, it may not offer a solution. You may need full control of the SCORM calls.

http://support.scorm.com/entries/49291-Attempt-Tracking-in-SCORM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2014 Apr 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you all for the input, I agree this end would have to be determined by the LMS unfortunately our LMS does not do that. However I got it work with by have the scormdriver.js changed to talk to our LMS and say that the user have taken the quiz once preventing them to re enter the quiz.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources