• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a new text button Captivate Style file (*.cps)

Enthusiast ,
Apr 07, 2014 Apr 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running Cp 7.01.237 on Windows 7 Pro.

Probably not seeing the forest for the trees here, but let me explain my predicament:

1. Transparent buttons do not meet 508 accessibility standards for the testing group I'm working with.

2. Image buttons are fine, but it gets to be a pain in the a** having to group text boxes on top of each image.

So here's the deal - Instead of a text button that looks like this:

2.PNG

I want one that looks like this:

1.PNG

But I can't figure out how to create it as a .cps file in order to upload it to my project. Am I asking for too much creative control here?

Justenuf

TOPICS
Advanced

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Text in the image itself gives probems with 508 as well? I suppose you don't want shape buttons, because of some reasons, but a real button with three states?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Lieve!

Text in the image - if you mean placing text in the image and saving it, then importing it as an image button, that works fine,but that means creating a new image for every caption I want to put in the button - that's a lot of back and forth. My current workaround is to create a smart shape with the text and background in the colors and fonts desired, enter the accessibility text into the smart shape (because the screen reader doesn't read the text that's shown) and then place a text button (transparent) over the shape that also has accessibility text in it. This gives me a "custom" text button that works perfectly, but is a royal pain in the neck to build over and over.

The problem with shape buttons is that they do not respond to the default accessibility command for an interactive object ("tab" reads the object, then "enter" activates it), which means you must use a shortcut key for accessibility. With the number of shortcut keys already taken by Windows, IE, and the screen readers (JAWS has over 150 combinations!), it makes assigning keys frustrating.

Therefore, all I want is a text button style that reflects the color scheme of my client's branding AND I can enter text directly into the button - no layers and no grouping required. It seems simple enough - I can change the background color and gradients of every other kind of object, but not text buttons. The only type of file I can import to the create a new text button is a .cps file, and I cannot find a way to create a .cps file with a new background to import it.

Justenuf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A CPS file is just a style file that records the settings for one or more object styles.  I don't think you can "create a new text button" with a .cps file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - so the question becomes how do I modify the background in a text button to fit my client's preferences? When I select the object style manager and select default text button, the only option I'm giving is to change the text font, size and color. There is an import button, but when I select that, the only type of file I can import is a .cps file:

1.PNG

So, am I basically out of luck here? I can't create a .cps file that has the new settings because the settings don't already exist in captivate? Forgive me if I seem a bit flustered, I'm definitely out of my depth here.

Justenuf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You misunderstand the purpose of the Import and Export options in the Object Styles Manager dialog.  They are there to enable you to export a single object style or multipl object styles as part of a set and then import that CPS file back into another CPTX project file.  This does not add buttons to your project.  It only adds or overwrites object styles.

Text buttons have very few options for styling, mostly limited to the text in the button.  Transparent buttons have more options.  But not perhaps all the ones you were hoping for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 08, 2014 Apr 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for clearing that up, Rod - sounds like this button is an artifact, based on the ability to simply click and drag any item you want directly into a project library. But at least I can stop wishing for the ability to change the background color of a text button and just keep using the workaround for customer satisfaction and 508 compatibility. (the problem with transparent buttons is they simply are not read by screen readers - Adobe knows, but there's no fix coming as far as I know, since the other buttons work)

Justenuf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 17, 2015 Sep 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Justenf2bdangerous, You do know that all the captions have a underlying .bmp that you can edit or add. Under Program files>Adobe>Captivate #>Gallery>Captions. I usually edit in Photoshop and save a new file using the naming convention already in place. Then when picking your caption if it doesn't show in the menu, use the file icon to the right and you can see your file. I works especially well with you need a minor color change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2015 Sep 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is unacceptable. Best work around is Storyline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm frustrated. Sorry. I'm just dumbfounded at the lack of rudimentary functionality in the "industry-standard" SCORM development tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@eject:

Could you perhaps be a little clearer?  What "rudimentary" thing were you trying to get Captivate to do?

Perhaps we can help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, sorry. Temper temper. I'm trying to easily create a text button with a default and hover states.

Thanks for the helpful and calm response despite my rude comment!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of Captivate are you using?

Cp9 now has some options that didn't exist in previous versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2015 Sep 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Using v8 and unfortunately can't yet update to v9 just yet but hopefully will be soon.

I'm currently trying to use smart shapes for the buttons to get the right look with hovers although without text. I then place a text box in front of it. I did a quick test and the text didn't seem to interfere with hovers and clicks. I'll need to test HTML5 output as well. Not an ideal solution but does achieve the proper look. Hopefully that'll work as a stopgap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources