• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

why does flash player (shockwave) crash daily?

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2014 Apr 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using windows 7, with Firefox 21.something, a new desktop dell with hard wired router, Comcast, my ISP,  says it's not them.

I downloaded FP version 13 today but before I did FP crashed when trying to open the first window of the day.  When I check the Firefox add-ons screen it shows the word "activate", not the word "enable" like the Adobe help instructions screen shows. I guess my version of Firefox is too new for Adobe's instructions to keep up with.

I have tried tech support from Microcenter where I bought the Dell in December, I have tried Dell tech support directly and (no surprise) they both said it was a third party s/ware problem and I should go to Adobe.

The error message I keep getting is "shockwave player has stopped working", do you want to "stop plug in", or "continue".  Sometimes I will just let it wait and see if it fixes itself--seldom happens.  Most times I tell it to stop and then wait for about 30 seconds to a minute for the error message to go away.

This problem has been occurrring for a month now and I suspect it is due to a FP update that does not like Firefox.  NO I do not want to use IE or Chrome, IE sucks and Chrome is nothing but spyware for the man.

thanks,

poorflash

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 13, 2014 Apr 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firefox 21 is a little out of date. You should be using 28.

There are two Flash Players for Windows (three if you count Chrome's PepperFlash plug-in)

ActiveX is for IE - IE needs it because it uses 1993 ActiveX controls for security, which is not really secure at all, and complicates everything you do with IE.

The standard plug-in is for Firefox, Opera, Safari and several other lesser known browsers like Maxthon and Seamonkey.

If you use IE and another browser, you need both, and they both need to be up to date. As mentioned, Chrome has its own which updates through the browser.

To make sure you're up to date for everything, download the following:

Flash Player for ActiveX (Internet Explorer)

Flash Player Plug-in (All other browsers)

Flash Player Uninstaller

Also, download these:

Shockwave Player Uninstaller

Shockwave Player 12 FULL installer (ther browsers)

You'll need to install Shockwave with the FULL installer for IE too, but there isn't a direct download for it. You'll need to go to: http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/otherversions/ using IE AFTER everything else is done.

Save all the files and close your browser.

Run the uninstallers first (both of them)

Go to: C/Windows/System32

Delete the Macromed folder.

Go to: C/Windows/SysWOW64

Delete the Macromed folder.

Open your Registry Editor (Start>Run or press the Windows key + R and type 'regedit' [minus the quotes] and click OK)

In the Registry Editor, go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE

Delete the Macromedia folder (Right click and choose "Delete").

Go to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software and delete the Macromedia folder there too.

Close the Registry Editor and empty your recycle bin.

Run the Flash Player installers, and then the Shockwave FULL installer you downloaded.

Lastly, open IE and go to: http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/otherversions/ to download and install the Shockwave FULL installer for ActiveX (IE).

For Firefox, I also recommend FlashBlock (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/flashblock/) It prevent's ANY Flash content from automatically loading until you allow it manually. It can be a pain, but you eventually get used to it.

Also look into AdBlock Plus, AdBlock Edge and the AdBlock Plus Popup Add-on. All are in the Add-ons center: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2014 Apr 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike M,

Thanks for the help. I tried to follow your instructions but could not complete them (see below).

I was able to do the sections highlighted in aqua blue .

But was not able to do sections in yellow and green Please see the yellow and green text highlighted below in your instructions for the problems I encountered .

At this point I will stop until I receive clarification on how to proceed without yellow and green sections being completed.

While I did appreciate the time it took you to instruct me on how to change a tire I would reply with this: When the tire blows due to a manufacturer's defect they issue a recall and have to fix their own problems, please see this article:

http://www.autosafety.org/firestone-500-steel-belted-radials

Thanks again,

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2014 Apr 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made all the repairs previously suggested by mike m, except as noted in my email back to him on 4-16-14,  as shown below.

no such item as : C/Windows/System32, therefore no Macromed folder to delete.

no such item as: C/Windows/SysWOW64, therefore no Macromed folder to delete

All other setps followed. Un-installed both flashpayer for IE,  and Firefox,  and have re-installed them both.

Flashplayer still crashes daily.

Any suggestions for an alternative player that works with Windows 7 & Firefox 28?

thanks,

poorflash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What happens under a different (admin) user account?

Have you tried creating one for testing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

poorflash wrote:

...While I did appreciate the time it took you to instruct me on how to change a tire I would reply with this: When the tire blows due to a manufacturer's defect they issue a recall and have to fix their own problems...

But... the tire STILL doesn't change itself, Jim. And you can't do it while you're driving. Just as you can't fix or update Flash Player while your browser is using it.
THAT was my point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines