• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mac: Flash causes "excessive wakeups" during Adobe Connect meetings

New Here ,
Apr 15, 2014 Apr 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted a message that can be found here last November where Flash was causing Adobe Connect meetings to crash every few minutes.  Since then, there's a new version of Flash (13.0.0.182) and the school has updated their Adobe Connect platform.  However, the problem is still there.

If it's a meeting with 2 or 3 people everything is fine.  The issue is only present when in a "class" where there are many people (like 8-15) using webcams at once and the instructor is sharing slides or something.  In this situation the meeting window either freezes or restarts every few minutes and upon examining the console log there is a corresponding message stating:

4/15/14 18:57:27.000 kernel[0]: process PluginProcess[1877] caught causing excessive wakeups. Observed wakeups rate (per sec): 172; Maximum permitted wakeups rate (per sec): 150; Observation period: 300 seconds; Task lifetime number of wakeups: 180731

4/15/14 18:57:27.867 ReportCrash[1980]: Invoking spindump for pid=1877 wakeups_rate=172 duration=262 because of excessive wakeups

This happened when using Safari 7.0.2.  When using firefox there is a similar message (only "plugin-container" instead of "PluginProcess" causes the excessive wakeups.  And with Firefox, the wakeup rate tends to be around 1500, not just 172).

A couple notes:

1) I've already gone into Safari preferences and allowed Flash to "Run Always" and "Run in Unsafe Mode" for the domain.

2) I've already removed the Adobe Connect Add-in to eliminate that as a possible source of the problem.  When I examine the Diagnostic Reports in /Library/Logs it's clearly the Flash plugin that's causing the problem, or some interaction between the plugin and the QT Framework, or something.  I don't know.

3) I've already contacted Apple and (not surprisingly) they told me it's not their problem and to contact Adobe.

4) Before someone asks - YES my install of Mavericks is a "clean" install.

5) Adobe Connect works fine on a windows machine on the same connection.

6) Troubleshooting steps have included reducing the video resolution, disabling hardware acceleration, deleting the preferences files, clearing cache, clearing local storage from the Flash preferences pane, removing and reinstalling the plugin, etc. etc.

Back when I had Mountain Lion there were problems like this in Safari, and the work-around was to use Firefox or Chrome.  Now it appears it just doesn't work, period.  Has anyone else run into this and is there a work-around?  Thanks.

-AA

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 15, 2014 Apr 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Safari>Preferences>Advanced

nap.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 16, 2014 Apr 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep - makes sense, however that box has been unchecked the whole time.  Also the same thing happens in Firefox which would seem to eliminate that feature as the culprit.

After researching "excessive wakeups" on other forums it appears there are some similar complaints about PhotoShop, Final Cut, EyeTV, google earth, basically graphics-intensive programs - I can't find any others about Adobe Connect, although the IT folks at the school have told me it's a well-known issue.  I suspect it has something to do with the way Flash interacts with the frameworks in Mavericks but I'm just guessing -  wondering if anyone else has seen this happen or knows a work-around?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2014 Aug 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've exactly the same problem, see my post here : Impossible to debug AIR Application on Mac OS X Maverick. After several seconds AIR App freezes and ...

For now didn't find the solution..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines