• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I download a library book to Adobe Digital Edition instead of Adobe Reader?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2014 Apr 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed and authorized Adobe Digital Edition to my computer but when I try to download a book from the library it defaults to Adobe Reader, which of course, does not recognize it.  How can I get books to default to Adobe Digital Edition instead?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should ask in the Digital Editions forum,

http://forums.adobe.com/community/adobe_digital_editions

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your operating system?  What is the file extension of the book you downloaded?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for answering. I have Windows 7 and the extension says Adobe EPub eBook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to fix the file association for .epub files to open in Digital Editions instead of Adobe Reader; see http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-default-programs#1TC=windows-7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2014 Apr 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Pat but I'm really perplexed. I changed my default so it looks like this: name: epub Description: EPUB File Current Default: Adobe Digital Edition 3.0. But when I went to download a book from the library, the same old thing happened. Up pops Adobe Reader with a box in front that states: Adobe Reader could not open because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded.) This is strange because when I go to my public library account, it shows that I have the book only I can't find it anywhere. I've gone into Adobe Digital Editions which should show everything and it's not there. Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2014 Apr 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How exactly do you download?

When you double-click an epub file from your local disk, what happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2014 Apr 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat, I've solved the problem with the help of a neighbor's kid. When I download a book from the library and it prompts to 'save', I've clicked 'save as' instead and saved to a new folder I created in 'My Documents'. Then I opened my Adobe Digital Edition, clicked on 'File, clicked 'Add to Library', changed the File Name extension to 'Adobe Content Server Message' & up popped my download. I connect my eBook to my computer then drag the book cover over to 'Bookshelf' to load to my eBook. It may not be the logical way, but it's working for me. Thanks & ciao.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 13, 2015 Dec 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If your library is like mine the file they list to download is actually an acsm file.  This file acts as a ticket to then download the epub.  You therefore need to associate acsm files with ADE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2015 Nov 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to you, I was able to use the same process and it worked for me, too! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines