• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

BUG? Some library assets do not 'remember' the path to linked images

Community Beginner ,
Apr 17, 2014 Apr 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While viewing asset properties in the project library, some files display the entire path to the linked asset. Example below - note how the full path is shown:

linked image - showing path.JPG

Others, do not show the full path. Note how this only shows the image name:

linked image - no path.JPG

Now the problem is that when I go to Update/Import/Edit... the image, the no path assets can't find the linked file. After I browse to the correct file and hit "Open" to relink it, Captivate still does not remember the path I JUST put in. Hitting Update/Import/Edit... does the exact same thing even though I had just relinked it.

This is occurring on multiple Captivate projects and on two separate computers so I'd have to think it's the software. There is no rhyme or reason (that we can find) as to why some show and allow the full linked path and others don't.

Need help ASAP. These no path assets aren't rendering with the same resolution quality on publish as is saved in the source file.

Thanks!

Brad

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Answering my own post after spending over an hour with an Adobe Tech.

Users beware! Captivate is not for anyone who needs to save their projects to a network drive, or have team involvement on a Captivate project.

Directly from the Adobe tech: You have to work locally. This is the only solution. Working with the network drive always creates some unexpected behavior as there are various restrictions and latency if we work with the network drive. This also often corrupts the project.

We have multiple Designers working on one Captivate eLearning project (not simultaneously.) What he's basically saying is that Captivate is not capable of allowing this because you cannot save on a network server without seriously risking your project getting corrupted, as it has ours. His recommended solution is to work locally on the project and then when done, copy the entire project and asset folders to the network. Then, open the newly copied Captivate file, naviate to the library, and then manually relink all of your assets to the network folder path. I'm sorry, but this kills efficiency and destroys our workflow and in my opinion is a serious flaw. We can't be the only one with this problem?

If anyone has any suggestions, please - I'm all ears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must be new to using Captivate.  The requirement NOT to work directly on projects off the network LAN has been known for many years.

Check out these posts:

http://www.infosemantics.com.au/adobe-captivate-troubleshooting/setting-up-your-computer-to-work-wit...

http://www.infosemantics.com.au/adobe-captivate-troubleshooting/how-to-set-up-preferences

And in case you're wondering...other elearning applications also advise their users to do the same. ALWAYS WORK LOCALLY. only backup to the network AFTER closing down your projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2014 Apr 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+100!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rod

It's quite amusing at times. In all the RoboHelp and Captivate classes I facilitate, I stress this issue to the point of beating dead horses. I also always encourage participants to contact me later if I can help in any way. After one such RoboHelp class, I was contacted by a participant that was having issue after issue. They finally advised that they ended up calling Adobe and Adobe FINALLY fixed the problem!

Very curious, I asked what the issue turned out to be.

Oh, I had my project on the network!

Smack forehead.... Because I stress this so much in class, it never occurred to me that they would have somehow managed to ignore the approximately 3,497 times I mentioned it during the class...

Cheers,,, Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- infinity!

What you say is common knowledge should be far more prominent in the initial sales deck from Adobe - not just on some obscure link to an Australian based website. And how long I've used the software is irrelevant. Anyone using the software in a team environment wouldn't realize they needed to search out this massive limitation until after they run into problems. Give me a break. Adobe should be far more forthright with a WORK LOCAL ONLY restriction - to the point of warning you when you save to a network folder. Any team collaboration or multi-user contribution is essentially impossible with Captivate. And why would I care what other eLearning applications "also advise" on an Adobe Captivate support page? Bottom line is Captivate needs to put this in big bold typeface as a warning before you even purchase the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm...Whaddya think Rick? 

Sounds like we hit a nerve and may have insulted poor sptrm by suggesting his 'big discovery' was old news here on the Captivate forum, or that it wasn't necessarily Adobe's fault.

I don't know about you Rick, but I think I'll just make a note of sptrm's username and let him soldier on alone next time he encounters an issue.  I wouldn't want to risk hurting his feelings again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please. If your future responses are as helpful as your last, I'm not too concerned. I've never had a reason to spend any amount of time in this Captivate forum.Guess I need to get my post count closer to 10,000 before I'll finally be as experienced in Captivate as I need to be to avoid issues like this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't realise this yet, but when everyone else that regularly reads this forum eventually starts going through their mail and reads your thread they're going to find this all really funny.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The trolls can laugh if they like. But if anyone at Adobe thinks that one of their users wasting hundreds of man hours is humorous, I'd be surprised.

All I'm saying is that the "local only" limitation is not being communicated well enough. If I have to go search it out - it's not being communicated well enough. And the fact that you even mentioned that I've probably not been using Captivate long confirms this. ALL users should know this, not just the experienced ones. I'd even emphasize that new users should be the top priority for communicating this to - before they start saving any of their files to the network

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brad, I honestly hope anything I said didn't come off as my making fun of you. If so, please know it wasn't intended that way.

The problem is, Adobe is a huge company and often, the sales and support staff simply have a passing knowledge of the products they are selling or supporting. To me, that is what the true value of forums such as these is. You get the benefit of others that have been down a particular road before and we can tell you "you seriously don't want to go down that avenue! There is no warning and the bridge is out".

Of course I can't speak for other instructors, but when facilitating classes I always share what I perceive to be any pitfalls that are likely to be encountered. And unfortunately, even in the training material that has been prepared, I'm not sure I even have seen mention of the "no network" admonition.

Another unfortunate fact is that sometimes an issue is network specific. Users may begin a project on a network and things seem to be working fine and dandy. Then some change occurs to the network that slows it down or causes some other issue. And unfortunately it's those users that are hardest to convince this is a bad idea, because after all, it's been working fine for (insert period of time here).

Hope you get things sorted and working well.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick. It's clear we missed the boat on this otherwise we wouldn't have even considered working on the network - so going forward, what is the recommended workflow? We certainly can't be the only ones who have CBTs or eLearning projects that require the contribution of multiple designers. Working locally doesn't seem feasible unless both (or all) users share the same computer, and that won't work for efficiency reasons.

So how do other teams effectively collaborate on Captivate projects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Well, if you really need for multiple folks to "work" on the same projects, I'd say the workflow will be this:

Whomever will be working on the project should alert other members of the team that they will be editing the Captivate.

Copy the captivate project from the network location to the local drive.

Make edits as needed.

Close and save the project.

Copy the edited project back to the network.

Send an "all clear" email to the other team members.

Another aspect we haven't yet discussed in this thread is that Captivate is not a product that lends itself to "collaboration" where multiple folks are able to simultaneously make edits to a project. So if person A is editing, person B cannot edit at the same time.

Certainly person A and person B can make their own copies, but after editing and copying back to the network, the network copy will look like whomever saved last. So if person A adds five slides at the end of a project and saves first but person B deletes three slides from the middle of the project, when person B saves back to the network the project will not have the five added slides and will only reflect the three deleted slides.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick, again, thank you for the productive and helpful responses.

So your workflow logic seems to make sense to me, except for how Captivate handles asset linking. I'd think one user would need to be deemed the "Master" user ... with the Captivate project plus all files and assets saved to their local computer to avoid corruption as has happened to us. Then, if anyone else opens the Captivate file on their computer (either directly transferred to them or passed through a copy/paste on the network server), am I correct that none of the linked assets will be found? They'd all be referencing files and folders found only on the Master User's computer, right?

This is where I'm unclear - what is Captivate doing when it can't find a linked asset? Try this. Created a blank project, insert an image and then look at the properties. It shows the full path to the linked file:

Capture.JPG

Next, save the project and close. Go to the source image and delete (or rename) it so it breaks the link. Reopen the Captivate project and Captivate seems to work completely unaffected, except for when you look at the image properties again ... it only shows the image name:

Capture2.JPG

Does Captivate embed the full resolution asset into the project? If yes, then when or in what cases does Captivate require the linked asset? It seems that Captivate is actually making a copy of the linked asset in the Captivate file, but that's what super confusing. How would you know when are you ever really using the linked asset file or the (lower resolution?) copy unless you go one at a time and open the properties? Captivate doesn't seem to indicate anything in the "Status" column for images.

Sorry, I know there are lots of questions here. Just understanding Captivate's asset handling would really help me find a way to work around the no network restriction, without jeopardizing the integrity of our project files. Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 22, 2015 Jul 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which is why I always tell people to work in PowerPoint and have only one Captivate person who transfers everything over and updates the linked files.  At least PowerPoint allows collaboration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to disagree, using PowerPoint as a start for your courses has LOTS of limitations and potential frustrations.

But if it works for you...by all means do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 23, 2015 Jul 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to use PPT, which is a presentation tool, as start for eLearning courses (not a good idea but that is my personal opinion) go for a PPT-plugin, don't use Captivate!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2015 Jul 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, it's not an expert-level solution to cooperative development, but in my experience, most of my clients have been using PowerPoint for training for years, and now want those trainers to be dynamic and interactive (quizzes), so it makes sense to have them continue with that platform, and then I transfer or convert some slides over into C8.  Only one person (me) needs to know how to develop in C8 that way, only one license purchased, and then only one person with their hands in the program.  I can take the PPT trainers my clients continue working in, and update the C8 trainers.  I'm not working indepth; I have very little idea how to use advanced actions or any of the indepth areas of C8.  I'm learning, but so far I don't need anything indepth to create the training material I'm tasked to create.  Utilizing the collaborative elements of PPT, I'm able to work with many people across a network to develop C8 training material.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't agree more with everything you said - it seems to me that Captivate depends greatly upon knowledge that only expert users have, and gaining expert knowledge comes with too many bumps and bruises.  I've been working in this software daily for over a year and it's the most frustrating package I've ever encountered.  Nothing is intuitive, and nothing works the way logic dictates.  Zeus help you if you manage to corrupt your file, you have to start from scratch.  And corrupting Captivate files is as easy as blinking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources