Skip navigation
evogts
Currently Being Moderated

missing export kernel32.dll error

May 2, 2007 9:09 AM

I have been using Flash Player with quite a few problems. I uninstalled it per Adobe's recommendation. Then when I tried to reinstall I received this error: the download.exe file is linked to missing export kernel32.dll:verifyversioninfoa. Anyone receive this error? Any ideas? After reading a post here, I went to hilton's website and an express version of Flash Player was automatically installed. This seems to have fixed my problem, temporarily. But I know better...something is going very wrong!

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 3, 2007 1:08 PM   in reply to evogts
    So I had to read this about 8 times...

You crashed when running the installer? Or when downloading the installer? Can you make this a bit more clear for us?

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2007 12:55 PM   in reply to evogts
    That makes it more clear, thanks.

I've never seen that installer error before. So I did some digging and found a bug that seems to match. You wouldn't happen to be running Win98 would you?

Also any chance this problem occurred early last month? What I read indicates we fixed it, so if the fix isn't working I want to know...

(202898 for Darren's reference...)

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2007 4:23 AM   in reply to evogts
    Hi,
    I happen to have W-ME and got this same message today...
    Hope there is a clue...

And the problem disappeared!
    I'm not sure if it had anything to do with it, but I used a version check, that i remebered from a different W-ME machine
    http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_15507

That reported I had the correct version on the system (9.0.45.0) and now when I open the same page that caused the errormessage it displays correctly.

Hope this helps you too.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2007 1:36 PM   in reply to evogts
    Hmmm. According to my info it was a problem with the download bits that was fixed last month.

The problem has something to do with the behind-the-scene tools that do the downloading of the Flash Player and it's tie to the Google toolbar.

So what probably fixed it was going through the same system, but in a way that didn't include the Google toolbar (which could have been triggered by a 3rd party express install, sure...)

Now, "crashes with an error message referring to flash9.ocx " is a different issue. We know there's some kind of crashing problem. But we haven't found the right way to reproduce it yet. You can find instructions for generating a Flash Player crash log in other threads, please set that up. If you get a crash log please open a support web case! ( http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer)

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2007 12:29 AM   in reply to evogts
    I too run Windows 98. I tried to download Flash Player from http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates/ and got the message that a file is missing that is required for this download: export, KERNEL32.DLL:VerifyVersionInfoA. I tried the previous posters advice and went to www.hilton.com to get that automatic flash player install, instead my browser crashed with a message that it had performed an illegal operation in FLASH9C.OCX.

How do I download Flash Player?

When I go to the adobe download page with firefox it crashes the second I enter the download page even without clicking on anything. The attempts described above happened when using Explorer.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2007 9:01 AM   in reply to evogts
    DOWNLOAD.EXE file linked to missing export KERNEL32.dll VerfiyVersionInfoA

I'm running Windows ME and this has been going on for weeks.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2007 1:33 AM   in reply to cobraxus
    I'm attempting to update Flash on my Win98se.

I also get the following:

missing export KERNEL32.DLL:VerifyVersionInfoA

The installation is apparently interrupted with that message.

I had not attemped, prior to this effort, to uninstall the previous version, as I never have done so with past updates.
    Was I supposed to?

Does it appear that this 'bug' is common to Win98?

Opey

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2007 8:33 PM   in reply to Opeysheart
    I was reinstalling Windows 98se on a clients machine after a hard drive failure/replacement when I had the same error. The client had requested that I reinstall Adobe Reader, Flash Player and the the Google tool bar while I was installing recovered files. Since I was familiar with the Google tool bar being an option when downloading and installing Adobe Reader I went ahead and installed both. Then when I attempted to install Flash Player I received the Kernel32.dll error. After reading Bentley Wolfe's post from 5/07, I uninstalled the google tool bar then attempted to install Flash again - which was successful. I then reinstalled the Google tool bar and ran the Flash installer again and got the Kernel32.dll message again. Until a permanent fix becomes available it appears that one workaround for pre-NT operating systems is to temporarily uninstall the Google tool bar while installing/updating Flash. I visited several web sites which contained Flash interactives after reinstalling the Google tool bar and the player performed normally; so the conflict appears to be limited to the install process and not to actual operation.

I hope this can be of some assistance - Charlie

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2007 2:45 PM   in reply to MCSECharlieG
    ALL...

I"ve been working with Engineering to understand this..

What's supposed to happen is this.. Because Google toolbar doesn't run on Win98, your OS is supposed to be detected by the logic on the Product Download Center. If it detects Win98 then it's supposed to not offer you the Google toolbar..

But if it fails to detect your OS correctly, then the Google Toolbar tries to find kernel32.dll so that it can launch it's internal download.exe in order to be installed. Which doesn't work on Win98, causing your problems.

So the team is trying to find out which specific versions of Win98 each of you has. Can you reply back with that information?

There's a quick and easy way to do this.. Paste the next line into the URL field of your browser:
    javascript:document.write(navigator.userAgent);

This will output something like:
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98), which gives us all the info we're looking for...

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2007 6:39 PM   in reply to Bentley Wolfe -ADOBE
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; MSN 9.0;MSN 9.1; MSNbMSNI; MSNmen-us; MSNcIA)

I also get the missing export kernel32.dllverifyversioninfoa message when trying to install Flash Player.
    As you requested, I am forwarding the information above.
    Thanks
    RxVol

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2007 8:39 PM   in reply to rxvol
    I also get the kernel32.dll error message while trying to download and install Flash.
    I have Win 98SE. Also have the Google tool bar installed.

This is the info you requested:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98)

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2007 8:56 AM   in reply to evogts
    I was having the same win98 problem with the kernel32 error trying to install flash 9. I tried the hilton site with no luck so I tried the flash 9 demo link http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/productinfo/features/ and the link required me to do an "express install" to see the demo. The express install worked fine and I've used the flash several times on different web applications without problems.

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2007 9:56 AM   in reply to evogts
    I have the kernel32 error with Windows ME. What is the solution?

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2007 12:43 PM   in reply to boiler66
    quote:

Originally posted by: boiler66
    I was having the same win98 problem with the kernel32 error trying to install flash 9. I tried the hilton site with no luck so I tried the flash 9 demo link http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/productinfo/features/ and the link required me to do an "express install" to see the demo. The express install worked fine and I've used the flash several times on different web applications without problems.

Thanks boiler66! It worked for me also!

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2007 7:01 AM   in reply to evogts
    Thanks for suggested solutions but they don't work for me.

I have uninstalled flash player and reinstalled. I am told that it is installed successfully but web sites that require it do not recognise it and offer me a download - which has no effect whatsoever. The site still doesn't recognise it and I'm back to square one. I use Windows ME and AOL.

All very frustrating. So what to do?

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2007 12:29 PM   in reply to evogts
    Thanks for all the info. Engineering is monitoring the thread and working on insuring the google toolbar isn't offered to Win98 users...

Bridgefan, did you decline the Google toolbar offer? I suspect you might actually have a different problem. If you could provide a more clear description of what's happening when hit sites that use Flash Player I'll try to point you in the right direction..

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2007 7:43 AM   in reply to evogts
    To Bentley Wolfe

I have uninstalled the Google toolbar - don't particularly want it anyway.

2 examples of problems:

a. Nissan.co.uk site tells me ' Flash needs to be installed to view parts of this site. You can download free version of Flash 8 on Macromedia Site (if I click this I go the Adobe site which offers download of Version 9 but this is already installed).
    Message continues 'If you have Flash Click Here' Clicking brings back the same message, ie, Flash is not recognised.

b. Genesreunited.com - When I try to bring up 'Family Tree' which uses Flash I get an error message:
    'aRels' is null or not an object.
    URL http//www.genesreunited.com.asp?wci=tree Line845'

I hope these examples help identify the problem.

Many thanks

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2007 8:37 AM   in reply to evogts
    OK easy things first..

<<'aRels' is null or not an object.
    URL http//www.genesreunited.com.asp?wci=tree Line845'>>

That's an asp error. It has nothing to do with Flash Player directly. It's something the asp code on the page is doing when it tries to write the html page that -contains- the SWF (flash) content. So you should contact genesreunited and let them know about that problem.

<<<Nissan.co.uk site tells me ' Flash needs to be installed to view parts of this site. >>

First, let me say that this is NOT the same as the Win98/google toolbar we've previously been discussing in this thread. Your problem is a more common Flash Player installer failure that my team has been working on for quite awhile. (I write this to avoid confusion for people finding this thread in the future...)

Here's what I'd like you to do.
    Please import the following key into the system registry:

http://www.supportflash.com/ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.9.zip

(read on)
    Warning: The following solution involves the Windows System Registry. Editing or manipulating the registry incorrectly can result in serious system damage which may require re-installation of the operating system. If you are not comfortable editing the registry, then take your system to a professional. If you choose to proceed, then it is essential that you create a complete system backup and a Windows System Restore Point before proceeding. Adobe Systems cannot be held responsible for damage resulting from this information.

1. Unzip the ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.9 key
    2. Run the Flash Player uninstaller - download from here http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_14157
    3. Select Start >run type in ‘regedit’
    4. Select File > import
    5. Import the ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.9 key
    6. Install the Flash Player from here: http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer

Then try the Nissan site again. One of the problems we're fighting that something (we're not sure what.. spyware cleaners, registry editors,etc..) are locking or removing these special keys which prevent 'backwards installs' of Flash Player for security purposes. There is a certain way that some developers can access these keys for Flash Player detection in IE Windows. And if that key is locked or missing that detection fails and you wind up in an endless 'install Flash Player' loop..

Try the above and let me know what happens.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2007 12:18 PM   in reply to Bentley Wolfe -ADOBE
    I am trying to get this running on a Windows 2003 terminal server. I have seen a lot of posts but nothing that I am trying is fixing it. The administrator has no issue with the Flash Player but any other user does. I can go as for as doing a Run As (the administrator) and it works but that is not a fix.

|
    Mark as:
    May 16, 2007 2:55 PM   in reply to cslaght
    quote:

Originally posted by: cslaght
    I am trying to get this running on a Windows 2003 terminal server. I have seen a lot of posts but nothing that I am trying is fixing it. The administrator has no issue with the Flash Player but any other user does. I can go as for as doing a Run As (the administrator) and it works but that is not a fix.

This is one of the things we're wrestling with. You'll most likely need to run the SubInACL tool on each user account. Painful, but that should fix it.

"Download SubInACL from Microsoft to fix permission issues that prevent the Flash Player Installation." ( http://www.adobe.com/go/fb1634cb)

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2007 5:20 AM   in reply to evogts
    To Bentley Wolfe

Thanks for you reply but I am reluctant to try your solution in view of your warning about interfering with the Windows System Registry. Obviously you have to give the warning but how much risk is actually involved?

Another point - I am a bit confused about Flash and Shockwave Flash. Is my problem with either or both? If latter, should I uninstall Shock wave and reinstall it?

Regards

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2007 7:08 AM   in reply to bridgefan
    I uninstalled the Google ToolBar (in the configuration panel of the PC) and I tried to install Flash and Shockwave..and it worked perfectly! Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2007 7:40 AM   in reply to bridgefan
    quote:

Originally posted by: bridgefan
    Thanks for you reply but I am reluctant to try your solution in view of your warning about interfering with the Windows System Registry. Obviously you have to give the warning but how much risk is actually involved?

I understand your concern. But at this point SubInAcl is most likely the only thing that will work. We've run it (as part of support cases) on more than 50 machines successfully.

We're furiously working with Engineering to find a better solution, and they in turn are working with Microsoft. But for now SubInAcl is the thing. If you're not comfortable with that then I'd recommend taking your machine to a professional and asking them to do it. Or wait until we find a better solution (or switch to FireFox..)

Darren and I are also working on rebuilding the Windows troubleshooting technotes to make the troubleshooting path more clear. We know it's a bit of a mess just now, and hard to recognize exactly which thing you should be doing...

quote:

Originally posted by: bridgefanAnother point - I am a bit confused about Flash and Shockwave Flash. Is my problem with either or both? If latter, should I uninstall Shock wave and reinstall it?

Your problem is entirely with Flash Player. There is no direct connection between the installed bits of Flash Player and Shockwave Player. They perform similar tasks (FP for Flash content, Shockwave for Content created in Director..) but they're not the same and they don't share anything during their install. So don't worry about Shockwave. Fix your permissions with the SubInAcl tool and you should be OK..

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2007 8:32 AM   in reply to evogts
    OK. I hate to sound stupid but your post says that I have to run the SubInACL for each user but that tool says that you have to have administrator priv's to do so.
    I know you are working on a soltions but this is crazy. I have 20+ users on a terminal server. Setting each of them as admins and going through this tool is just crazy! Is there an expected time frame for a solution that makes sense. As a contractor for my client, I can't keep billing them for time that may be unnecessary if a new version is going to be released to fix this issue.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2007 8:42 AM   in reply to cslaght
    quote:

Originally posted by: cslaght
    OK. I hate to sound stupid but your post says that I have to run the SubInACL for each user but that tool says that you have to have administrator priv's to do so.
    I know you are working on a soltions but this is crazy. I have 20+ users on a terminal server. Setting each of them as admins and going through this tool is just crazy! Is there an expected time frame for a solution that makes sense. As a contractor for my client, I can't keep billing them for time that may be unnecessary if a new version is going to be released to fix this issue.

I understand, and I appreciate that it's a tough situation. And no, I don't have a firm ETA on it yet. We've been pushing for a solution, and Engineering is working with Microsoft to try to figure it out. Toughest issue I've dealt with in my 12 years here.. :(

Can you humor me and at least try fixing one account on the terminal server?

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2007 8:48 AM   in reply to evogts
    Sorry to bother you again but I think my message got mixed up with cslaght's.

I was asking about the risk of damaging the Windows System Registry if I try your solution to the 'Nissan' problem. Is the risk more than negligible? Particularly as my system restore function is very unreliable - a common problem with Windows ME I believe.

|
    Mark as:
    May 17, 2007 8:50 AM   in reply to bridgefan
    quote:

Originally posted by: bridgefan
    I was asking about the risk of damaging the Windows System Registry if I try your solution to the 'Nissan' problem. Is the risk more than negligible? Particularly as my system restore function is very unreliable - a common problem with Windows ME I believe.

So far no person who's run SubInACL has reported any damage. And SubInACL is an 'official' Microsoft tool used to repair registry permission problems. Which is the reason we have to redirect people to Microsoft to get it.

So i'd say it's safe. BUT any tool that does anything to the registry can cause unexpected problems. If you're unsure, again, go to a Pro.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2007 9:09 AM   in reply to cobraxus
    Does anybody know to fix this problem or how to install it back on your system, so this problem canbe eliminated.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2007 9:13 PM   in reply to misty23
    I got the message about the kernal being missing several times when trying to install the new Flash Player.

A couple times I also got a message saying the installation was complete (it wasn't) and that I'd need to reboot my computer to get it fully installed.

Someone on my ISP's help forums pointed me here, and I noticed in this thread someone mentioned the Google toolbar.

I uninstalled my Google toolbar (didn't even have it set to be visible anyway), and tried to install Flash again...

PERFECT installation. Everything's working.

I just don't know what'll happen if I try to reinstall the Google toolbar....

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 22, 2007 6:20 PM   in reply to Bentley Wolfe -ADOBE
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; FunWebProducts; Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) )

Thank you

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2007 5:31 AM   in reply to evogts
    To Bentley Wolfe

I tried the solution suggested in your message of 05/15/2007. I uninstalled Flashplayer and unzipped ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.9 key. But when I tried to import it into the system registry I was told it was not a Registry file.

I subsequently reinstalled Flashplayer 9 and was told the installation was successful. But I still find progammes will not recognise it, eg, I have some Flash e-cards I downloaded in the past which used to work OK, presumably with an older version of Flashplayer. Is it possible to download an earlier version that might work with Windows ME?

Thank you

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2007 1:59 AM   in reply to Bob O.
    I ended up here when I found I couldn't load flash player version 9 after reloading an old image to restore a PC to operation. I wasn't offered the "Express Install" Option at the ../productinfo/features/ URL mentioned by boiler66 until I first visited the microsoft update site and installed the Security Update for Flash Player (KB913433) patch. After that, the Express install option was displayed and worked for me too.

However, I remained unable to install the flash player from the Adobe Flash Player Download Center page no mattter what I tried but was able to load the player from the ../productinfo/features/ URL using the Express Install option.

Selecting the express install option loaded flash player 9 for me and was accompanied by a resulting registry entry in the macromedia folder under software in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE indicate that the latest version had been installed. Good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 27, 2007 4:07 PM   in reply to Bentley Wolfe -ADOBE
    Is there a fix for this besides the SubinAcl

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2007 6:54 AM   in reply to crt_mr
    I tried the subacl and i logged in as administrator and put the user as a administrator and he could see the flash when i took the access away he couldn't see it anymore.

I have windows 2003 Terminal server with about 200 users on 4 machines there has to be a fix

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2007 8:01 PM   in reply to Bentley Wolfe -ADOBE
    Sorry to jump in the middle of this but I have a similar problem Using Win 98SE that I thought was localized to a driver conflict.
    Here, (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.8.1.11) Gecko/20071127 Firefox/2.0.0.11). My problems got so bad that I finally had to reinstall W98SE to a new Directory and go out and get Netscape and Firefox. The moment that I try and download your flash player my system goes through a hard reset, all the way down to a full restart. Your compatibility talks about problems with Indeo CODECs and I am wondering if that is the root conflict.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points