Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Homesite and Vista

Jan 8, 2007 1:55 PM

Is anyone using Homesite with Microsoft's new Vista yet? I am about to get a new laptop and was curious if Homesite was going to work with Vista. Sure hope so because I would hate to have to give home using it.

Yvonne

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 3, 2007 12:45 PM   in reply to Glitz&Glitter
    Finally got Homesite running on Vista and there's another thread with helpful suggestions. It recommended finding the Homesite.exe file, right clicking on it, click on Properties, click on the Compatibility tab. Select Windows XP or Windows 2000 and be sure to check "Run this program as an administrator" under Privilege Level. That's what finally got it working for me.

Jes

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2007 2:04 PM   in reply to Glitz&Glitter
    Jes, I haven't tried vista myself yet, but can I ask what wasn't working when you didn't run as Admin?

With XP we had to install as admin, and set permissions for particular keys, but then could run without admin access. Did you try that? Or could you?

Here's info.

FAQ: Does Homesite 5.x only work under an Administrator account?
    FAQ: What user permissions do I need for HomeSite under WinNT/2k/XP?
    http://www.wilk4.com/asp4hs/tips.htm#win_permissions

I'd like us to have the best info we can, since I'm sure more people are going to be asking soon as vista is used more and more. The support folk are doing some testing too, and will be writing up a tech note, but it'd be good to have details from user experiences too.

thanks,
    jeff

p.s. I presume the helpful thread you mentioned is this one:
    HS General Discussion: Windows Vista Beta

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2007 8:28 PM   in reply to Glitz&Glitter
    Yes, Jeff, the helpful thread was indeed the one you mentioned in your message.

When I first installed Homesite, it returned an error on TopStyle, but seemed to load both programs. I did run a repair because of the TopStyle error. When I attempted to run Homesite, it would go through the initial configuration thing, but then would return an error that no changes were made and not launch the program. After changing the properties for Homesite executable, the configuration apparently ran and I was able to launch Homesite.

Had to make the same changes to TopStyle and it's now running too.

My user profile in Vista is as admin. This apparently isn't enough. The programs themselves need to be specified as run as XP compatible and with admin priviliges.

Separate issue: It appears that Adobe's Update Manager doesn't run in Vista either. Had to remove that from my start-up configuration. Also apparently some sort of permission issue, or possibly something related to certificates (?).

I swear, I should be a Microsoft beta tester. If there's a problem, I'll find it.

Hope this info is helpful. Happy to share whatever info if you need more.

Jes

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2007 10:08 PM   in reply to Glitz&Glitter
    Thanks Jes, that's useful.

You might want to try the permissions details mentioned in the faq for winxp/2k.
    I haven't confirmed it anywhere yet, but I'd suspect that you can probably avoid running HS as admin if you install it under admin and set permissions for users to r/w those registry keys. Might still need the compatibility mode.

FAQ: Does Homesite 5.x only work under an Administrator account?
    FAQ: What user permissions do I need for HomeSite under WinNT/2k/XP?
    http://www.wilk4.com/asp4hs/tips.htm#win_permissions

If that works, please post back.

I don't know any details about adobe update manager, but I pointed this thread out to some of the support folk. Perhaps they'll know something. You might search other adobe technotes.

thanks,
    jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2007 10:11 PM   in reply to Glitz&Glitter
    btw, what version(s) of Homesite are you using? (with vista)
    thanks,
    jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2007 9:33 AM   in reply to Glitz&Glitter
    Thanks for the info. I'll look at that more closely, give it a shot and let you know. I must admit, I'm a bit hesitant about editing the registry...no prob in XP, but for some reason, hesitant in Vista.

I'm using good old (pre-Adobe) Homesite 5.0.

Thanks also for passing on the update manager info on to that group. I'll poke around a bit more.

Jes

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2007 9:45 AM   in reply to Glitz&Glitter
    thanks. fwiw, this isn't editing the registry per se, but changing the *permissions* on a couple of registry branches to make sure homesite can change values there when running for non-admin users.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2007 9:22 PM   in reply to Glitz&Glitter
    Just wanted to chime in to say that I had problems getting HomeSite+ 5.1 to run on Vista, with different symptoms, but the compatibility mode/run as admin fix mentioned above worked for me too.

In my case, install of HomeSite+ and TopStyle Lite worked fine, then when I went to run HomeSite+, I made it through the serial number screen and the whole initial config wizard when suddenly I got this massively unhelpful "HomeSite stopped working" error from Vista. (Kinder, gentler Blue Screen of Death?) It had a few options for what to do, including debug the program or look online for solutions; none of those options did much of anything. Thanks guys for the fix, I was about to be most upset.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2007 1:37 PM   in reply to Glitz&Glitter
    Thanks for the additional info Michelle. Does it also work without the run as admin if you set the registry permissions up per the win XP technote?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2007 7:44 PM   in reply to Glitz&Glitter
    Hi,

using admin rights and xp sp2 compatibility mode I had no probs with my homesite 5.2 during the first weeks of my Vista time.
    Just two days ago Vista started to tell me:"homesite isn't working anymore!"

Well, I looked for solutions on the internet and checked out several tips and tricks...nothing helped (including the new set up of the registry permissions). .

The final solution had been to deinstall hs5.2 and to reinstall the oldest version I have: hs 4.5.1a .

Now everything is working again.

regards,
    Bernd

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2007 8:19 AM   in reply to Glitz&Glitter
    Vista Ultimate, Installed CS2 (HomeSite+) FOR HTML/ASP development (no CF/JSP). Install went well. Admin user.

Error 1: The "Show browser below editor" (magnifying glass icon) fails to do anything.

Error 2: CTRL-S (save) and File, Save.. both cause an error popup "(X) Error #5. Unable to save file C:\..." [OK].

The file actually does save, but I'm tired of the popup.

Any solutions?

I'll review the settings in the previous posts to see if I can resolve the file save fun.

BTW When installing Visual Studio/MS SQL Express versions I got a blue screen. I attempted to install the SP (claims to be a Vista fix) but it wants VS installed first! And [Jes E.] we've all been Bill's Beta Testers since DOS. ;^)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2007 11:57 AM   in reply to Glitz&Glitter
    Bernd, did you try reinstalling HS 5.2 before going back to the older one?

AnotherOpus, did you set HS for XP compatibility mode? Other users seem to have had to do that.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2007 8:00 AM   in reply to Jeff Wilkinson
    I had great problems getting my Home Site 5.2 to run after installing Windows Vista Home Basic, but the admin fix helped. However, now when starting the program, I don't get the Quck Bar, it is empty and there are no icons at the left hand of the Quick Bar. Any ideas on how I could fix it?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2007 5:10 PM   in reply to Jeff Wilkinson
    @JeffW: ...after few days I experienced the same ms vista error messages with the old hs version and reinstalled version hs 5.
    all seem to be o.k. again at first until some editing work last week. The error then reoccurred but could be resolved
    by reinstalling the 5.2 service patch. Now I've to wait until hs will go down the next time.

regards,
    Bernd

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2007 3:45 AM   in reply to Glitz&Glitter
    I had this same problem running Homesite 4.5 on Vista and the solution above worked for me. However, now I have one more problem: Homesite can not access a mapped network drive on my system. The network drive appears in the Homesite drive selector but has a red X on the drive icon and when I click it I get the error message "The selected drive is unavailable." But the mapped drive is available in Windows Explorer. If I go to explorer and try to edit a file in the mapped with Homesite, Homesite will launch but the document will not open. I can open these documents in other applications such as Word no problem so it looks like something with Homesite, perhaps a permisions issue. If anyone has any ideas I'd be very grateful to hear them.
    Thanks,
    Aidan

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2007 9:20 PM   in reply to AnotherOpus.com
    >>Error 2: CTRL-S (save) and File, Save.. both cause an error popup "(X) Error #5. Unable to save file C:\..." [OK].
    >>The file actually does save, but I'm tired of the popup.
    >>Any solutions?

Yes, you have to go into the Program Files->Macromedia->HomeSite directory and for the AutoBackup folder give Full Access permissions to the Creator/Owner, I think it is.

But I'm still getting the Gotta Close, Bye message all the time and I'm running HomeSite as admin so i'm not sure why it fails like that. It's 5.5, but it's the pre-Adobe version. I was hoping someone here might have a solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2007 12:19 PM   in reply to webdev2007
    How to fix Homesite 4.5.x Design Mode so it Works in Windows Vista Business

If you attempt to run Homesite 4.5.x Design mode in Vista Business, Basic, Premium or Ultimate you will see a "no such interface supported" error pop up. This is a DHTML issue, but luckily it can be fixed with a Vista specific download patch from Microsoft called "DHTML Editing Control for Applications" (get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=b769a4b8-48ed -41a1-8095-5a086d1937cb&displaylang=en )

This Vista patch essentially does the same thing to get Homesite 4.5.x Design mode working as you need to do with WindowsXP SP2 after Hotfix KB891781 has been applied. That solution is posted on PCSTATS for your reference: http://www.pcstats.com/NewsView.cfm?NewsID=57671

The Vista patch installs two files to 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\DhtmlEd' and re-registers them with the system... in one swift click.

Max

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2007 5:59 PM   in reply to aidancurran
    I had the same problem with network drives not working.

I tried clicking on "network" and got an error about Network Discovery being off, so I enabled local Network discovery in the Network Control Panel and now I can see the network drives through "network" in Homesite+. My mapped drives still don't work, which is annoying, but at least I can work.

I'll keep trying to get Network mappings to work and post back if I discover anything.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2007 7:56 PM   in reply to Jes E.
    quote:

Originally posted by: Jes E.
    Finally got Homesite running on Vista and there's another thread with helpful suggestions. It recommended finding the Homesite.exe file, right clicking on it, click on Properties, click on the Compatibility tab. Select Windows XP or Windows 2000 and be sure to check "Run this program as an administrator" under Privilege Level. That's what finally got it working for me.

Jes

Jes, you're a lifesaver. I've been using Homesite since '95 or '96 and only use a WYSIWYG program when a client insists upon it (and then Dreamweaver if possible). HS has features no other coding engine I've found can match, even if it is getting somewhat long in the tooth. Its coding is the best (rivaled only by BBEdit on a Mac), and I simply love the multiple FTP sessions that one can open, including copying files from one remote server to another--none of this "site" stuff you get in DW etc. So imagine my dismay when I setup my spanking new Dell XPS 410 Vista workstation (Core2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz, 4 GB DDR RAM, etc.), only to find that HS wouldn't load after being installed. I was able to search the web for an alternative application, but I bumped into this thread, saw your suggestion, tried it and voila, I'm in like Flynn. Good one.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2007 11:55 AM   in reply to Glitz&Glitter
    In the 10+ years I've been using Homesite, I've never run into this problem until I installed Homesite on my new Vista PC: I can open files on a remote server, edit and save those files, no problem. But if I try to save a new file or save an existing file under a new name, I get a "Path not valid" error. What could be going on? I've got the same setup as on three other PCs running Homesite (Win2000 and WinXP) addressing the same remote server, and the others work fine, but I keep getting this invalid path error on the Vista install. (And before anyone asks, it's not a files permission problem.)

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 24, 2007 8:55 PM   in reply to BorSol
    any fix for this issue? I have the blank quickbar issue too!

---------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------
    I had great problems getting my Home Site 5.2 to run after installing Windows Vista Home Basic, but the admin fix helped. However, now when starting the program, I don't get the Quck Bar, it is empty and there are no icons at the left hand of the Quick Bar. Any ideas on how I could fix it?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------

|
    Mark as:
    May 28, 2007 1:35 PM   in reply to SrWyand
    Ditto. The QuickBar isn't displaying or working at all in Vista.

I'm running HS 5.5 on Vista Business and the QuickBar is empty, related icons are gone, and right-clicking doesn't display the options for selecting. Anyone with thoughts of how to fix this in Vista?

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2007 6:21 PM   in reply to McWebdog
    I tried the compatibility settings recommended above. This did not fix the problem I am having. I am using HS5.5 and Vista Home Premium. HS seems to work fine for the most part. The project functional does not work. I can not create a project, when I try an error message "Class not registered".

Anybody have any ideas?

Also, I tried the run as administrator checkbox. When this runs I get no icons in the quickbar. Turn it off and all better. This does not seem to help anything.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2007 10:38 AM   in reply to Glitz&Glitter
    Those of you with quickbar problems... does your homesite / vista setup allow you to change files and registry settings in the homesite install folder tree? The quickbar settings are defined in :

(homesite install folder)/userdata/toolbars/quickbar.dat

That defines what toolbars are put on the quickbar. It's named .dat, but it's a text file so you can look at the contents easily. Mine has a list of toolbar.tbr names.

If your user doesn't have access to that for some reason, I'd imagine it would fail like what you are seeing.

(homesite install folder)/userdata/toolbars/toolbar.pos also has some info on quickbar, such as position, docked, etc. That needs to be accessible & valid.

... and probably via some registry entries. a quick look at my winXP setup finds:
    HKCU\software\macromedia\homesite5\ShowQuickBar

There may be others.

If this helps, please post back what you did to fix it.

jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2007 9:41 AM   in reply to Jeff Wilkinson
    Jeff, your comments are on the mark, at least for the problems I was experiencing with the QuickBar not working in Vista, in an installation in which I am the sole user/Adminstrator. "Account User Control" seems to be the key, at least in my case.

After seeing your post, I deconstructed what I had done originally: After installing Vista, I installed HomeSite 5.5 while the Vista User Account Control was still turned *on.* When I looked at the quickbar.dat file, as you suggested, I discovered it was empty. Adding back in the toolbar.tbr names to the quickbar.dat file made no difference.

So I did this:

1. I uninstalled HomeSite.

2. I turned User Account Control *off* (go to Control Panel > User Accounts > User Accounts > Turn User Account Control On or Off).

3. Reinstalled HomeSite.

Now everything is working correctly and the QuickBar and other toolbars display and are functional, including right-clicking on the toolbar area to select/check which toolbar options should display.

Because I am the sole Vista user/Admistrator, there are not ongoing security concerns. But to test it, I turned Account User Control back *on* and rebooted to reset system security, and everything in HomeSite appears to still be working fine.

Thanks for the help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2007 12:52 PM   in reply to Glitz&Glitter
    excellent! thanks McWebdog for posting the info. I'm sure that'll help others here. I'm glad you were able to work out the problem.

Did you happen to look at any of the registry settings too? I suspect they were part of the problem. quickbar.dat stores the names of toolbars assigned to be on the QB. If none were assigned, it might logically be blank.

thanks!
    jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2007 1:56 PM   in reply to Jeff Wilkinson
    I did not look at the registry settings before doing what I described earlier. But I just looked at them, both in XP and Vista (I'm running a dual boot). My search of the registry only located this one entry for the quickbar. In both XP and Vista the setting you refer to is located at:

HKEY_USERS > ... > Software > Macromedia > HomeSite5 (ShowQuickBar)

The value for ShowQuickBar is set at "-1" at both installations. In the Vista install I tried changing the value to "0" and rebooted, but as far as I can tell made no difference on whether the QuickBar or other toolbars display. I also tried changing the value to a positive "1" but the system reset it back to negative "-1".

(FWIW---and I don't recommend trying this---if I left the value truly blank HomeSite could only open to single display window and it could not be closed. I had to restart Vista to shut it down.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 6, 2007 3:43 PM   in reply to Jes E.
    Jes, Thanks for the tip. Just started using Vista. Never would have figured it out myself (not much of a tech).

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2008 7:38 AM   in reply to Glitz&Glitter
    So is there an official fix for this from Adobe?

I have tried the run in XP etc mode and my main issue so far is the no quickbar/toolbars. Not sure of any other issues yet as in save or not save etc as just trying to figure this one out.

Or will there be an update to Homesite out very soon - maybe a v5.6 or even a v6?

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2008 7:50 AM   in reply to Glitz&Glitter
    Ok worked out a fix by utilising some of the ideas from the above - so if anyone else is having similar issues.

I went to C:\Program Files\Macromedia\HomeSite\UserData\Toolbars

I copied every file in the folder (duplicated them all) as mine had .new and .def etc as the file extensions after the .tbr .dat and .pos file extensions. I then renamed all the copied files by removing the - Copy.def or - Copy.new part of the file name so they then had the correct file extensions e.g. .tbr .dat .pos etc and then fired up Homesite and yipee a happily running Hoemsite in Vista :)

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2008 8:11 AM   in reply to Glitz&Glitter
    OK now the next step after doing the above I could not add my own defined buttons to the quicktabs unless I ran via administrator, so did that and added the new buttons I use and then I can open it as normal and see the new buttons created when I ran it as admin.

The next issue is that if I close Homesite, and try and reopen it again later I cannot. When going to task manager it shows as still running and hence will not run again. I force close in task manager and then I can run Homesite fine after that.

If I find a solution to this or fine other issues I'll report back...

... in the meantime Adobe - how about an update for homesite... that is Vista compatible out of the box :)

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2008 8:20 AM   in reply to Glitz&Glitter
    Now I have the Error#5 for the Autobackup issue when not running as administrator... so frustrating... c'mon Adobe post a real fix or a new version - happy to pay for an upgrade for a working vista compatible version :)

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2008 3:42 PM   in reply to gwmbox.2008
    Try making sure your non-admin user login has rights to the homesite install folder (write as well as read).

some of the files, like quickbar setup are usually in subfolders there.

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2008 4:43 PM   in reply to Glitz&Glitter
    Thanks Jeff but I am using it with an admin account but can only get it to work without the error if I run it with admin mode. That will have to do but as said before it would be good to see an official response from Adobe and hopefully an updated version... I mean it has been a while since Adobe took over from Macromedia and Homesite has by the looks of it abandoned...

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2008 9:48 PM   in reply to gwmbox.2008
    gwmbox.2008, my advice to you is to read this thread carefully and follow the advice here, in the other visa/hs threads and in the technote. Others *have* gotten this to work with Vista so it *can* be done.

The following isn't speaking from anything official or any private knowledge of Adobe plans, but I wouldn't suggest waiting for Adobe to provide an update to fix it or make it easier. They have done vista/homesite testing as well and seem to feel that it works with the settings and privileges changes that people have documented.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2008 9:51 PM   in reply to Glitz&Glitter
    gwmbox.2008, note particularly McWebdog's post, where he says, among other useful info that:

1. I uninstalled HomeSite.

2. I turned User Account Control *off* (go to Control Panel > User Accounts > User Accounts > Turn User Account Control On or Off).

3. Reinstalled HomeSite.

his toolbars, quickbar, etc worked fine then. You might have to do this reinstall as well.

jw

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2010 12:54 PM   in reply to aidancurran

I had this same problem running Homesite 4.5 on Vista and the solution above worked for me. However, now I have one more problem: Homesite can not access a mapped network drive on my system. The network drive appears in the Homesite drive selector but has a red X on the drive icon and when I click it I get the error message "The selected drive is unavailable." But the mapped drive is available in Windows Explorer. If I go to explorer and try to edit a file in the mapped with Homesite, Homesite will launch but the document will not open. I can open these documents in other applications such as Word no problem so it looks like something with Homesite, perhaps a permisions issue. If anyone has any ideas I'd be very grateful to hear them.

I had the same issue on Windows 7. A few things I did and it resolved the problem. I had to change this in my registry -

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer \User Shell Folders\AppData:
    - Change the value=%APPDATA% to value=%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming

I also ran a program called "Windows Install Clean Up" you can probably do a google search for that.

and now my homesite uses the mapped network drives.

-Eddy

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 8, 2011 5:39 AM   in reply to Pagan_Ghost

Jes E.'s solution worked for me.  I was getting the annoying Error #5 Unable to save error and the compatability mode + run as admin fixed it.

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)