Skip navigation
ArexM
Currently Being Moderated

Confused about movie clips in movie clips...

Jan 2, 2007 8:59 PM

Help! I have scoured pages and pages of books and forums, and cannot seem to find a straight answer on this. Even on the recent posts in this forum the answers seem very muddled.

I have created a drop down menu, which consists of a movie clip with an onRollover action, which "drops down" a movie clip that contains movie clip buttons. for example:

menu_mc (has onRollover and RollOut action to reveal menu)
contains button1_mc, button2mc, etc.
which are supposed to link to outside urls.

i am to understand that by using onRollover and onRollout on the menu_mc to animate it negates the movie clip button's actions underneath...I just don't understand what action (tellTarget?) to use (AND WHERE...frame? instance?) to get the buttons inside the menu_mc to work.

please help! thanks so much!!!

Replies
  • kglad
    72,227 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Jan 2, 2007 10:09 PM   in reply to ArexM
    you can't work-around this issue. if you code any mouse handlers (like a rollOver etc) for a parent it will intercept all mouse events (like onPress etc) that are intended for child movieclips.

to remedy you must

1. code mouse handlers for the youngest generation that you want to respond to the mouse or

2. use a hitTest() for one of the movieclip generations and mouse handlers for the other generation.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,227 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Jan 3, 2007 3:04 PM   in reply to ArexM
    post a link to your fla and i'll show you how to fix it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points