Skip navigation
atlacatl
Currently Being Moderated

CONTEXT MENU with chinese characters?

Nov 29, 2006 10:45 AM

Here is the synopsis of the problem: I built this tool that makes use of global variables from an external .AS file for localization purposes. I have the require //!-- UTF-8 setting atop. So far all the text imported from the.as file works fine, I do see chinese characters, but when I try updating the custom context menues........all I see are "??????". What am I doing wrong? is there a way to solve this puzzle?

gaugeMenu = new ContextMenu(gaugeMenuHandler);
gaugeMenu.hideBuiltInItems();
gaugeMenu.customItems.push(new ContextMenuItem(_global.context_viewdetails, viewDetails));
gaugeMenu.customItems.push(new ContextMenuItem(_global.context_viewrankings, fetchGaugeRanking));
gaugeMenu.customItems.push(new ContextMenuItem(_global.context_hidegauge, hideGauge));
gaugeMenu.customItems.push(new ContextMenuItem(_global.context_editgaugegroup, editGauge));
gaugeMenu.customItems.push(new ContextMenuItem(_global.context_deletegaugegroup, deleteGauge));

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 29, 2006 9:06 PM   in reply to atlacatl
    I don't have an answer, except to say that I gave up long ago trying to deal with Chinese fonts in Flash. Flash's handling of unicode fonts is very buggy to me. I was creating banners for a Chinese client. Looked fine on my system, but the fonts were weird sizes, and some Cantonese-only characters not appearing on their system. I have had similar problems even in my FLA files. I'll have a Chinese font show up properly. Then close and re-open the FLA file and the Chinese has disappeared.

The only solution I've ever found is to break apart Chinese fonts into shapes.

There may be a better solution than that, and if you find it I hope you'll post it here.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points