Skip navigation
DuckGoose
Currently Being Moderated

General questions about memory footprint and language technology

Aug 6, 2008 9:12 AM

I am currently evaluating the Abode Air and Flex technology now for the past week and a half, and am really excited about the possibilities for it. So here are a couple questions that I would appreciate some help in answering.

1) Why is the memory footprint so large for an application running with Air? Within seconds, a relatively small program will balloon is memory usage, and is by far the most memory abusive program on my box. And it never seems to free anything as the program runs.

2) Currently, you can program Air using Actionscript and Javascript, but no other language. I have a situation where my application will not have an internet connection, and I need to take my business logic off the server, and run it on the client. Is there any way to run this code locally? Or do Air applications require a internet connection.

Thanks for your help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 6, 2008 10:26 AM   in reply to DuckGoose
    It's difficult to address (1) without knowing (a) how you are measuring memory use and (b) which application you're running. However, the amount of memory used is generally a function of the application itself, not AIR.

Regarding (2), no, AIR applications don't require an internet connection. However, you will have to write your logic in ActionScript or JavaScript, as you note.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2008 1:14 PM   in reply to DuckGoose
    There is no way to call a DLL directly from within an AIR application.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2008 10:19 AM   in reply to DuckGoose
    Is there a way to call AIR directly from outside then? Or would it have to be through some localhost port networking communication?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2008 10:22 AM   in reply to DuckGoose
    My app needs to connect to some device drivers and since those APIs are not in ActionScript but in C++, I have no choice but to use C++ and ActiveX to embed the flash player. Of course this breaks the entire concept of portability since I can't do this on Mac or Linux, even if I keep the C++ platform independent.

Adobe has to address this issue and enable a Java JNI style mechanism to allow communication with other run times.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points