Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Should I switch to Mac for CF/Flex/SQL development?

Feb 2, 2009 1:17 PM

I'm contemplating a move to Mac for my local development environment. I have seen quite a number of people using Mac for CF/Flex/Flash development. Those are my primary programming platforms - though I'm planning on adding AJAX and .NET to my arsenal soon. I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on the benefits and drawbacks of switching to Mac:

Do the IDEs (i.e. Flex Builder, Eclipse, Fireworks, etc.) work well?
Are there any other important programs (i.e. Source Control, Wireframing/Mockups) that will (or will not) work well?
What about database development? I'm used to SQL Server - can it run on a Mac? If so, how well does it work?
Any other issues I should know about developing on a Mac?

I know this is very vague, but I'm looking for any constructive feedback I can get, to help me make a wise decision.

Thanks.
Are there any other known issues with programming

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 2, 2009 4:48 PM   in reply to ericbelair
    I wouldn't switch if you want to do .NET / SQL Server development. Most people on Macs who do SQL Server development either use a remote server or run it in a Windows Virtual Machine.

Important programs are available for both OSes, but without knowing which ones you use it's hard to say whether you just need to install the "mac version" or whether you'd need to install a brand new one.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)