Skip navigation
DanMITRE
Currently Being Moderated

Scripting FLVPlayback 2.5 for DVR

Feb 25, 2009 9:57 AM

So, I'm working on an application that uses the DVR functionality of FMS 3.5, and am stuck.

The publishing side of the system is working fine, and I can get a very simple playback working as well (by connecting to the FMS app, attaching a NetStream to my Video object, and calling ns.play(streamID, 0, -1).

However, I need a rich UI to control the video playback. The FLVPlayback component looks like it would fit the bill nicely, but I can't get it to connect to my stream. I've tried hardcoding all the parameters via the Component Inspector in Flash CS4 to play back a specific stream I've recorded, and all I get is a never-ending buffering bar.

What I really need to do is instantiate an FLVPlayback component via AS3 and attach a NetStream to it. Or, at the very least, connect it to a DVR-enabled stream and then script some controls (e.g. jump-to-a-specific-offset).

Is there an easy-to-follow guide to doing this, or could anyone give me the 2-minute rundown?

Many thanks!
-Dan

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 25, 2009 10:33 AM   in reply to DanMITRE
    Did you download the FLVPlayback 2.5 component? The 1.0 version doesn't support DVR playback. You can get v2.5 from http://www.adobe.com/go/fms_tools

The download includes docs and a sample mxml file.

HTH,
    Jody

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2009 1:23 PM   in reply to DanMITRE
    Oh sorry about that, I didn't see the title.

First off, you can't play DVR streams with FLVPlayback 2.5 without the DVRCast application -- and we haven't released it yet. That should have been clearer in the docs and I'll get them updated.

But you can play a NetStream -- have you checked out the API docs for FLVPlayback 2.5 -- they install locally when you download the component. The class you want to look at is FLVPlayback. Set the NetConnection.connect() info in FLVPlayback.source and specify the stream in FLVPlayback.play().

Jody

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2009 9:36 AM   in reply to DanMITRE
    Hi Dan,

Could be a bug -- I passed this thread to an eng who'll probably be checking in later.

Jody

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2009 11:11 AM   in reply to DanMITRE
    The seek bar will automatically update itself when you enable DVR and play back from the DVRCast application. Also, the dvrIncrement should always be larger than the dvrIncrementVariance. The variance is the difference between what is playing and what is the actual or estimated total duration of the stream. The increment is how much gets tacked onto the current duration when the total duration is unknown. Ideally, you would use larger numbers for this too since they are in seconds. For short streams, (like half hour or less) incrementing by 300 with a variance of 120 should be fairly sufficient. The component also has it's own mechanisms for estimating the duration of the stream without having to regularly poll the server for that information.

There are also a number of fixes with regard to the behavior of the seek bar in DVR coming with the next build of the FLVPlayback 2.5.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points