Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash .flv stand alone player.

Dec 16, 2008 11:18 PM

Dear members:

I have recently downloaded some .flv files from the Internet and tried to view them without any success. I have installed in my computer the CS3 premium suite that includes Flash CS3 so I was surprise that the videos wouldn't play. Right clicking on these files I have the choice to open them using (1) Flash Player.app which is selected as the default and also (2) Adobe Flash CS3.app, (3) Flash MX 2004 and (4) SAFlashPlayer. None of these applications actually plays the videos. When I select both Flash Player.app and SAFlashPlayer the applications load and they appear Mac OS X's menu bar but nothing happens.

Please forgive me if this is a basic question but I haven't been able to locate a stand alone version of Flash Player for download on Adobe's web site. The one I found seems to be the one that is installed in browsers so that they can play Flash media.

Where can I find and download the stand alone Flash Player ?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Joseph Chamberlain

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 17, 2008 12:22 AM   in reply to drjchamberlain
    Hi!

As far as I know Adobe doesn't supply a standalone FLV-Player (they want you to build your own I guess), but there are several customizable and free solutions around on the web. All of them built on Flash of course.

The most popular is propably the JWPlayer which you can find here:
    http://www.longtailvideo.com/players/jw-flv-player/

Hope that helps!

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 17, 2008 12:26 AM   in reply to drjchamberlain
    Oh I just noticed that the new Adobe Media Player (that came with my new CS4 package) will playback FLV now. I think that is exactly what you are looking for as it isn't even browserbased.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points