Skip navigation

Adobe latest FreeHand MX upgrade, Would you pay?

Apr 19, 2008 11:26 AM

Latest reply: Kaiser Chow, Oct 6, 2013 7:09 AM
Replies 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 20, 2012 6:49 AM   in reply to kcfi

kcfi wrote:

Are you still working in FH? Wouldn't it be best to convert all of your old FH files to AI CS5, and then they would open (I assume) in CS6.

Who are you asking? My clients and I have close to 5 million "legacy" Freehand files, that's why I'm working on an Applescript to convert them all to Freehand Editable EPS (Save As...). These do open in Illustrator CS6.

No. We are not "working" any longer in Freehand for the last couple of years. However, those few million files still need to be opened, revised, updated, or things such as logos, repurposed.

So with that said, "yes"... we need to be able to "some times" open Freehand and work there. Because if you had as much experience as I/we do in this matter, you would know that even Illustrator CS5 does not "always" open and present a Freehand document properly. Mostly in regards to line widths, the "white overprint" bug (there's a plugin for that at least to correct it), and nested groups with text.

Because of the number of files involved, we were currently just doing copy and paste into Illustrator (CS5) when we needed to. Now I MUST convert everything, although you're right: I did know the day was coming.

Shame on me I guess for being the willing victim, and we'll all let Adobe get away with... literally... (software) murder!

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 7:16 AM   in reply to DocPixel-BMW

DocPixel-BMW wrote:

My clients and I have close to 5 million "legacy" Freehand files, that's why I'm working on an Applescript to convert them all to Freehand Editable EPS (Save As...). These do open in Illustrator CS6.

When opening the Freehand Editable EPS files in CS6, are Freehand features such as layers, editable transparency etc preserved? (In other words, is it comparable to opening a FH11 file in CS5, which I know is not a perfect conversion, but at least preserves most of the document's editability.) This could be a useful workaround for us if so.

Will you share your Applescript here once it's completed?

DocPixel-BMW wrote:

Because if you had as much experience as I/we do in this matter, you would know that even Illustrator CS5 does not "always" open and present a Freehand document properly. Mostly in regards to line widths, the "white overprint" bug (there's a plugin for that at least to correct it), and nested groups with text.

What is the white overprint bug? Where would I find the plugin to correct it? Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 8:15 AM   in reply to tmagames

tmagames wrote:

"You're" probably correct, but I can only tell you what works for me ( Freehand user from the very beginning  mac user since 1986) even where some old FH3 files are just showing a terminal icon, even when Freehand will not open them, changing the extension to .fh11 WILL allow FH to open them and changing to .ai will also allow Illustrator to open them.. I must be incredibly lucky because it works every time!

Actually, you are correct in most cases... although you do not need to change the extension, unless as you mentioned, it didn't have one in the first place and appears as a Unix/terminal file. I've also been at this since '85 starting with Pagemaker.

*Some Freehand file types and creators, like version 3, 3.1, 4, and 5... actually needed to be converted, if memory serves me, already when FH went to 9. 'A Better Finder Attributes" did the job nicely back then.

However, we do run across some files that didn't make the Type/Creator conversion, so some of those versions, namely version 3 and 4 files, actually are able to be opened today using a virtualized Win2000 or XP installation where Freehand 7 is still installed. It's a "no go" with FH11 on either platform sorry to say. Although with that said, there are old files, that for some unknown reason, will open. It's not a "all or nothing" situation at all... not unlike the clipboard problems with Illustrator CS6

* Just helping if anybody ever runs across this problem.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 8:36 AM   in reply to Cygnify

Cygnify wrote:

DocPixel-BMW wrote:

My clients and I have close to 5 million "legacy" Freehand files, that's why I'm working on an Applescript to convert them all to Freehand Editable EPS (Save As...). These do open in Illustrator CS6.

When opening the Freehand Editable EPS files in CS6, are Freehand features such as layers, editable transparency etc preserved? (In other words, is it comparable to opening a FH11 file in CS5, which I know is not a perfect conversion, but at least preserves most of the document's editability.) This could be a useful workaround for us if so.

Unfortunately, "FH Editable EPS" flattens everything to one Layer. I didn't check transparency.... I assume it would be flattened as well(?)

Will you share your Applescript here once it's completed?

When and if I decide it's needed, I'll see what i can do. At this point in time, I'm advising my clients that an upgrade is not necessary. We're all in flexography packaging, and at this point there's nothing compelling in CS6 that would make our lives any easier.

Although... LiveTrace does look promising for a job or 2, it's something we have "fudged" for years and years with grayscale images and/or bitmaps.

What is the white overprint bug? Where would I find the plugin to correct it? Thanks.

Google "illustrator overprint white". There are a number of websites that cover the problem.

There's a free plugin at this site to remedy the problem: http://www.worker72a.com/

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 8:54 AM   in reply to DocPixel-BMW

DocPixel-BMW wrote:

When and if I decide it's needed, I'll see what i can do. At this point in time, I'm advising my clients that an upgrade is not necessary. We're all in flexography packaging, and at this point there's nothing compelling in CS6 that would make our lives any easier.

That's understandable. We're currently on CS3, and considering CS6 purely because it's the last version for which we're eligible for upgrade pricing. If we do upgrade, I'm hoping CS3 will be able to remain installed without causing any problems, and be sufficient for opening Freehand files. (But of course, there's no guarantee that this solution would work forever, hence why I'm looking into other conversion options.)

DocPixel-BMW wrote:

Google "illustrator overprint white". There are a number of websites that cover the problem.

Ah yes, I've encountered this one before. Fortunately we spotted it before going to print!

I hadn't realised it was such a common problem. Thanks for the info.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 9:29 AM   in reply to tmagames

I have a ton of old FH files, and I'd just as soon keep an old Mac around to work on them, and export them. It's no fun trying to convert these files to Illustrator, and I find it highly annoying.

Working on a logo for a friend, and I fiddled around in Illustrator for a while and finally said screw it, rebooted into an older MacOS and did the logo in Freehand. I still hate Illustrator and find it to be too complex, and Obtuse in many of it's functions.

I want Freehand to work on my Mac with the latest and future releases of the OS.  What's so wrong with having and using a simple, easy to use tool? Why do we have to keep upgrading and feeding Adobe money, only to end up with a tool that has lost any elegance and good interface.

Stephen

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 10:12 AM   in reply to steveoh

Yes, this is what I've done. I kept an old G5/PPC using an older OSx that I use almost exclusively for FH or legacy apps and it's worth the annoyance and real estate. The G5 doen't fit into my current workflow, but is there when I need it. It's the best work around for me expecting that a new FH most likely won't see the light of day. Any PPC Mac (just make sure you have and older OSx) is cheap on the used market, so I suggest others might want to get one as an interim work around albeit not ideal.

One thought. We have to remember that Adobe has always been trying to create their own eco-system designed for "cradle to grave" customers. The latest releases clearly express the culmination from the CS editions up to their newest SaaS product family. From a corporate point of view (theirs), it's a good thing--- from an end user point of view, it takes away from the autonomy that's been the cornerstone of the creative process (they would argue a fully intergrated eco-system would be in everyone's best interest). In the end, you are only as creative as the features and workflow within Adobe products which most people can live with. In simple terms, Adobe has morphed from farmland into a concrete city.

|
    Mark as:
    May 20, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to david_imanaka

My only recommendation to you guys is to start a new thread or threads in the Illustrator forum (but be prepared to take some cr*p) and keep the conversation going (thereby keeping the threads at the top of that page), as this is pretty much a 'dead' forum. If we can keep this issue 'alive', maybe, just maybe, Adobe will see that there is still an ongoing need for Illustrator to be able to act as interpreter for native FH files.

Les

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 12:32 AM   in reply to david_imanaka

I also just wanna say that keeping an old Mac around with an old OS and old versions of Freehand have saved us more than once on a deadline. There is no law that says "You Must Upgrade" and/or "Throw away your computer" as soon as a new one comes out.*

My oldest "still running like a champ" Mac is a PowerPC 8800/80, System 7.5 (ca. 1995), with a couple of 44/88mb Syquest drives attached with their 5" wide, 1/2" thick SCSI cables. Whenever I have to start it up, I'm still amazed that once started (takes about a 2 minutes), how unbelievably smooth and responsive everything is. It really makes you wonder where all of the tech advances at our disposal today have gone.

* However, reality says that new computers come into the studio and those of my clients, running today Lion, "tomorrow" Mountain Lion... and new licenses of Adobe software, that in this case with CS6, cause us to search for new ways and work-arounds to access all of our accumulated data. Not just that which is created from "Day 1" on that particular machine, OS, or software version. Backward compatibility with data is what we're asking for here, to ease the integration of those inevitable purchases.

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 1:35 AM   in reply to Les ONeill

Les ONeill wrote:

My only recommendation to you guys is to start a new thread or threads in the Illustrator forum (but be prepared to take some cr*p) and keep the conversation going (thereby keeping the threads at the top of that page), as this is pretty much a 'dead' forum. If we can keep this issue 'alive', maybe, just maybe, Adobe will see that there is still an ongoing need for Illustrator to be able to act as interpreter for native FH files.

Les

In a more "Perfect World" I would agree with you. However, take a look at the Illustrator, Photoshop, etc. forums here at Adobe now. An oft quoted response is, "Hey, these are user-to-user forums, and Adobe employees come around in rare circumstances, if ever. So quit b***ing at Adobe... they're not listening here. Call support."

In addition, take a look at the "Software Request" part of each program's forum. How many of those suggestions, many many good ones, from years ago have made it into this version? How many reoccuring bugs have been quashed? Very few if any.

Not Illustrator related, but:

1) put your hand in the air if you asked Adobe to include a new "Oil Paint" filter in Photoshop. However, 3 versions ago people have asked for user-defined grids in Warp transform, which Illustrator has BTW; so nothing new, complicated, or for which Adobe's engineers don't know how to do.

2) Pattern-making in Illustrator? Nice, but how about a better way to translate that pattern to Photoshop. Take a look at the cludge work-around suggested in the thread here in the forums.

The fact can only be summarized like this: my generation's engineers and innovators like Steve Jobs at Apple, James Von Ehr at Altsys (Freehand), John Knoll (Photoshop), etc. were far more intelligent and diligent in programming and managing technology and advances than today's. Period.

HOWEVER, the above statement not withstanding, look to where the innovation and sleak little programs are today. They're on iOS or Android. So maybe the solution is to give the engineers computers with  limited power, RAM, and hard drive space... thus forcing them to cut the bloat, and think "small and fast" and streamline their programs by using common frameworks, and teams that work together.

I've mentioned the "frameworks" time and again here in assorted forums, and it seems so logical to me to reuse and repurpose code, dialog and interfaces within the different programs, as to wonder why Adobe is only now starting to do this. InDesign still has the old interface for example... which as far as I'm concerned, is better than the new one in illustrator, or the last few interface designs in Photoshop.

Speaking of interface designs and Adobe not listening: at the Beta stage of CS4, a large number of typography professionals commented on John Nack's blog, not to use ALL CAPS in the panels, mainly due to legibility. This was very early in the Beta phase. Did Adobe change? Well, not with CS4 release, or with CS5... or 5.5... but the CS6 suite is back to Title-case panel names. And for good reason.

So... sorry for the rant, but yes... this forum and Freehand are a dead-end. However I don't think it matters where you post here to tell ya the truth. Adobe doesn't listen can be the only conclussion after witnessing and participating in various forums here over the years. Do they care? I also suppose not, because who's knocking on their doorstep with the next "gotta have" graphics application? The DOJ allowed this to happen, and as david_imanaka posted above,

In the end, you are only as creative as the features and workflow within Adobe products which most people can live with.

....may I respectfully add to that sentance, "...because we have to and have no other choice!"

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2012 9:43 AM   in reply to steveoh

I completely agree Steve, I am keeping my 10.5.8 system for Freehand, 

I find Illustrator annoying and uncreative. I am not sure how Adobe 

could buy out the competition to monopolize the market, I thought that 

was illegal....? I wish there was a way to force them to upgrade, 

money talks.

http://denisedesign.com

Denise Stansfield

graphic designer / illustrator / travel writer

Promoting Products and Services that Enhance the Quality of Life

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 7:54 AM   in reply to temple of prosperity

I can't believe it! Freehand files are no longer suported in Illustrator CS6

Hey Adobe,

tell me one reason why I should upgrade to Illustrator when all my corporate files can not be opened anymore?!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 8:14 AM   in reply to DocPixel-BMW

This happens to me a lot in designing LOGOS-

I can open Freehand 10 in Illustrator! But here is the rub, I CAN NOT CONTROL THE TYPE - Like change the Font, Make it bigger or smaller , put it in another color.

In other words I have to start over ! Which is easier for me to go back to Freehand.

Anyone out there  with any suggestions.

AS I SAI BEFORE, I WOULD PAY TO UPGRADE !!!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 8:28 AM   in reply to Peter Idler

yep, it's official....

well this just shows you the level of contempt these jokers have for their user base,

there is no need for this at all, disgraceful

Changes to file-format support in Illustrator CS6  

Formats that cannot be opened in Illustrator CS6:

• FreeHand (fh7, fh8, fh9, fh10, fh11, ft11)

Formats that cannot be placed in Illustrator CS6:

• FreeHand (fh7, fh8, fh9, fh10, fh11, ft11)

Formats that cannot be exported through the Save for web feature:

• HTML (html)

http://helpx.adobe.com/illustrator/kb/supported-file-formats-illustrat or.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to aphouse

... so we all have to keep a special Mac with MacOSX 10.58 (Snow Leopard) to work like a breeze!

I would pay for a Upgrade too. ... just make it run on the actual Macs!

Freehand is still a better tool than Illustrator!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 8:46 AM   in reply to aphouse

As I mentioned in previous posts, take some time and a few dollars to acquire an older Mac with OSx 10.5x or less and exclusively use it for FH to hedge your bet. It'll affect your workflow, but if you're using FH, then you're smart and experienced enough to merge it into your own process as best you can. It's a sad state of affairs, but it is reality. Remember that Adobe has moved to a "cloud" subscription model and much of the development is for full virtualization and integration and FH is a standalone product that never fit their plans As time goes by and development continues for Adobe, the further away FH becomes from any hope of being compatible. Because their suite of products have become the de facto production/design toolbox for the industry and newer generations of people that enter the industry have little or no knowledge of FH, FH becomes more non-relevant or invisible with the exception of those who built their careers around this fine product.

Future FH viability is to be a "standalone" product that can be integrated/exported for users. Unfortunately, Adobe has certainly shown its colors on that front by stone walling any effort legal or otherwise. Well, this is where I've settled my angst, life is too short.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 8:54 AM   in reply to david_imanaka

... the cloud is the reason, why I thought about going to Illustrator. I downloaded the demo and was shocked!

If Adobe does not give Freehand a chance they should let it go and sell it or if they are not afraid to lose their poleposition, they should make it open source!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 8:54 AM   in reply to david_imanaka

We can only lament on what we know, not on what we don't........

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 9:58 AM   in reply to Peter Idler

Disgraceful, deplorable, disreputable and a downright damning demonstration of Adobe's Dantean dispicability.

Ah, that's better.

I don't subscribe to conspiracy theories one jot, but I rather see this as one more nail of many to come in the proverbial coffin for users of all Adobe software, not just for FreeHand users.

First we're told that no upgrades to future CS versions will be possible unless we all rush out and buy, or upgrade to, CS5.

Then we're told that we'll soon have no option to purchase a licence to upcoming versions, but instead pay monthly subscriptions to upgrade and maintain our licences on an ongoing basis. (R.I.P. the small design studio that can't justify a need to upgrade every time a new version is released.)

And then the cloud system takes over so we pay through the nose to access everything over the 'net, thus removing any choice we might have had to maintain even an ageing local installation that meets our needs.

And now, after some very subtle hints from Adobe that FreeHand might live on through Illustrator in some way (e.g. the 'Like FreeHand' workspace), we discover that we can't even open FreeHand files any more. How bizzare is this?

And so, it appears that Adobe moves several steps closer towards their ultimate goal of controlling our very existence, thus revealing the kind of arrogant, self-centred and short-sighted individuals we're all dealing with at the Adobe helm. Adobe likes 'Choice' -  but without the choice.

It's way beyond time we all had some serious competition back in this market to stop these power crazy fools from walking over our industry, before it's too late. If somebody doesn't step up with some competitive alternatives, I imagine you'll all remember reading this in five years from now, and I doubt any of us will be smiling then.

Adobe users, be worried.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 9:56 AM   in reply to david_imanaka

Just to back up my claim in the above post I made a couple of weeks ago that "Adobe does not listen to anything here"....

... a recent "new post" as suggested by Les O'Niell... is answered just as I said it would be,

You're not talking to Adobe here. Just a bunch of users helping other users

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1021777?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 10:26 AM   in reply to DocPixel-BMW

thing is, I do use illustrator for new work, but that's not the point here, I have 15 years worth of Freehand files that I need to access, and I don't have a spare 3 years to covert all of my old files to Ai format!

their answer is always the same, switch to illustrator, ok now what? I still need to get at my old files, so now they take even that function away!

Adobe bought this software, then they have a responsibility to the users,

that's if we lived in a world where businesses were a little more long sighted....

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2012 11:35 AM   in reply to Robert Philpotts

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 25, 2012 10:32 AM   in reply to Robert Philpotts

Robert,

Well said.  Those of us who have been using FH since version 5 carry a legacy of client files. Like so many here I choose to keep an older Mac to run FH11 without issue.  The Windows machines have no problems running FH11.   These legacy files can be freely edited, updated and exported into Illy as needed.

In 2005 we were forced onto the Illy migration path, which by CS4 could open FH pretty well.  That path is broken now with CS6.  Go figure.  Give me a tablet and FreeHand and a logo/page/layout/graphic in half the time as in Illy.

Looking forward to a new owner for FreeHand.

Cheers,

Jeffery

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 26, 2012 5:17 PM   in reply to tmagames

I'm converting all my .fh11 files to .ai. I don't want to get stuck later and not be able to open them. I'm running OSX 10.7, and CS5.5. I know CS6 cannot open the .fh11 files. Nothing would make me happier than to see FH revived, but hey, we have to be realistic. I'm betting it's 99.99% it will never happen. And if it does, it won't be worth a penny if it can't open .ai files.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 28, 2012 5:29 AM   in reply to plummerdesign

I fully agree,

I do have a legacy of about 8000+ FH files of which at least 50% are still valid and in use or could be, and I am still working with FH for roughly 40% of my working time, as some of those projects are still being updated or have similar files added which are derived from older ones. The clients prefer the fh eps I send them over paying the money to transfer them to ai (which I couldnt charge them anyway). Changing the stuff to ai would cost me, what, 20.000 Euros minimum? Likely even more. I could transfer them to ai, but in ai the fh files are all much to light so I would have to change all the colours to darker ones. A horrible thought.

I have ai CS4 and 5, but do not use it much as it takes so much longer to do the kind of illustrations I mostly do. If I would have to fully change to ai I would have to raise my prices by 20% at least and would still make a loss!

Regards,

Norbert

plummerdesign http://forums.adobe.com/people/plummerdesign created the

discussion

"Re: Adobe latest FreeHand MX upgrade, Would you pay?"

To view the discussion, visit: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4518971#4518971

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 16, 2012 8:56 PM   in reply to nobbie1111

People in this Design world must know one law, time is money. Which app. Save your money.....Freehand!!! There is wasting time to randering the god Dxxx preview after ai.9 ( I start on freehand & a.i 7) I use 1.5 hrs to do a artwork in ai, but 15 mins in freehand. must of time wait for preview...... difficult selection... I'm running from hong kong, there has chinese version ai, i need switch system preference - international english to chinese (No need do this in os9 or before). I'll use Freehand til I'm no longer do my job but there has a hope i will switch to use ai. There is "Retouching any PHOTO in ai"

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 12:25 AM   in reply to bcs28

Freehand is my medium as an artist, I will work aorund the restricting 

platforms until I retire which will be never in my lifetime.

http://denisedesign.com

Denise Stansfield

graphic designer / illustrator / travel writer

Promoting Products and Services that Enhance the Quality of Life

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 17, 2012 12:39 AM   in reply to temple of prosperity

Right. I will do the same, using Snow Leopard (newer versions bring only crap anyway) and FH MX as long as necessary. But there is still hope. A FreeHand "clone" is in development. See: http://freefreehand.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=696

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 5:42 AM   in reply to Robert Philpotts

Would you be willing to pay for a freehand import plugin for CS6?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5419718#5419718

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 18, 2013 7:58 AM   in reply to plug_and_pray

No I would not pay for an illustrator mish mash. I have enough stuff to use

Freehand as it is.

Regards

Sisifran

Sent from my iMac

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 8:12 AM   in reply to franterse

Why would we have to pay more for a plug-in when we've bought Freehand and upgrades over the years and paid for that? Also I would imagine most of us also have some Adobe software running too and have also coughed up for that?
    I'm with the above poster, I've got a few computers can, and do, run Freehand well so sticking with what works thanks. Why should my clients have to pay for work they've already paid for when the cost is passed on?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 8:43 AM   in reply to julesinchaos

Unfortunately, this like maintaining and old classic motorcycle or car. Everything works as long as you have enough parts bikes in the barn to keep things running. There is no requirement mandating that Adobe or any other company upgrade thier discarded products over time like the 10 year requirement for the auto industry. I've worked through my angst a long time ago as if I had my hand chopped off and decided that living in the moment is far better for humanity.

But, bravo for all of you who keep the passion burning and maybe a third-party can develop the "elusive" plug-in that makes it all good and worth believing in what was the best vector app ever created.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 9:28 AM   in reply to julesinchaos

There are so many reasons to feel angry towards Adobe these days, and none of us want to be beholden to them or indeed pay them yet more money just to get back what they've taken away.

But what plug_and_pray is offering is a third-party solution to a real problem, and considering the overly complex coding of native FreeHand files, I actually think he/she deserves a medal for taking the initiative to have a go at this.

So why don't we move this discussion on to the thread that plug_and_pray linked to above (link copied also below) and give him/her some encouragement. As much as I hate to admit it, even I might be thankful for such a product one day. (Though I'll continue to hope not!).

This development is being discussed here:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5419718#5419718

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2013 9:30 AM   in reply to julesinchaos

Sure, I'd pay.  The question is, is Adobe willing?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 6, 2013 7:09 AM   in reply to Jack PNG

Yes, I will upgrade my FreeHand MX.

|
    Mark as:
1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)