Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

flash player stuttering

Aug 14, 2008 5:36 AM

Hi everyone

I’ve got a problem with a game I’m developing when I test the game the player seems to stutter at certain points I’m using Flash CS3 with flash player 9. actionscript 2.0
The problem is obviously more prevalent when played back in the browser but its still in evidence when run through flash itself to a lesser degree. when I scroll a image on screen the movement seems to freeze for a split second when its halfway on screen.

The problem even occurs when there’s not much going on, on screen. With my logo screen for example once my logo appears the only movement on screen is the dot on the (i) which is a 20*20 png image rising and falling, this movement is controlled by actionscript in an onenterframe when I scroll over a simple and small button on the logo screen the stutter reappears.

Is this a problem with flash player 9 under Vista or is there a project setting I’m missing. I never had any problems with Flash 8 under XP so I don’t think its my code technique although I’m not sure? and my game runs smoothly on a friends slower XP laptop.

Any help and advice greatly appreciated its driving me nuts I cant smooth out the control and gameplay until I resolve the problem

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 14, 2008 9:45 AM   in reply to excelcius
    Can you provide an example? Do you have more than one onEnterFrame running at a time? It's hard to help without actually seeing what's going on.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2008 8:06 PM   in reply to excelcius
    Nice graphics. I played the game for a while at all three levels, and the only thing I noticed was the bubbles jumped once, and it was a very little jump. Other than that, as long as the animation played, I didn't notice anything distracting like you mentioned. What browser are you using? Have you asked others (not counting your friend with the laptop) to test the website? Find out what browsers they are on. Doing all this testing outside of your computer can help you troubleshoot better. It could be on your side only.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2008 3:21 PM   in reply to excelcius
    If no one else is experiencing the same problem, it has to be on your computer. Watch your cpu usage when you run test the flash file. If your cpu pegs high while testing the flash file, maybe you have too many "checks and balances" running at the same time - meaning maybe you have redundant action script trying to execute the same thing at the same time. Maybe try creating a new flash document and copy/paste segments of your code and symbols to that document and see where (on your computer) the trouble begins. I'm afraid it's just going to be a matter of trial error to find out what your issue is since no one else experiences it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 15, 2008 8:16 PM   in reply to excelcius
    I know when you install CS3, you MUST have any other version of CS uninstalled (especially when it comes to the Adobe Suite of programs). I don't think this is the case for versions lower than CS1, but I think it's a good idea to uninstall everything below any of the CS Suites. I mean, you are talking 3+ versions back, so no need (and no advantage) of having Flash (or Studio) 8 on your computer. I doubt that has anything to do with this issue, but you never know. So, you transferred your logo to a new document and still had the jitters? I don't know how comfortable you may feel about sharing a fla file, but maybe I could look at it to see if it does it on my machine and/or if I see any code that could be causing this. If not, you can still comment out certain parts of the code at a time.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points