Skip navigation
BT_Jans
Currently Being Moderated

Unable to initialize DAO/Jet db engine

Mar 14, 2008 10:35 AM

getting this error when trying to edit a .xpj file

"Unable to initialize DAO/Jet db engine"

It is being generated when I try to upgrade the project to a newer version.

Is there an easy fix for this?

Thank You

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 14, 2008 11:24 AM   in reply to BT_Jans
    Yes! This issue almost made me return RH. Tech Support couldn't help. Finally found some info on Google and IT WORKED. Perfectly. Need to un/register a DLL. Here's the Google posting (tomrevell.conforums.com)
    ------------------
    Click on Start and then on Run. Paste the following into the run line:

Regsvr32.exe /u C:\progra~1\common~1\micros~1\dao\dao360.dll

Click the OK button. Then, click Start and then Run again, and paste:

Regsvr32.exe C:\progra~1\common~1\micros~1\dao\dao360.dll

and click OK

That should get rid of the message.

Tom

|
    Mark as:
  • RoboColum(n)
    5,356 posts
    Oct 8, 2004
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 16, 2008 2:45 AM   in reply to BT_Jans
    Just wondering if there are other DLLs that also need reregistering. Don't know which ones though. Have any changes been made/applied to your PC (e.g. new programs added) that could have messed up your DLLs?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2008 8:44 AM   in reply to BT_Jans
    When I tried Tech Support, they suggested my opening the project with the Trial version corrupted the project to open with the full version. I definitely couldn't find the way back, even using an older version out of SourceSafe. Which makes me think installing hte trial version impacts DLLs. I couldn't find anything online for RH, but stumbled onto the DLL fix in a C++ user site. Peter Grainger probalby knows something about this. He usually has the answer.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 17, 2008 9:16 PM   in reply to BT_Jans
    No pressure then!

Sorry but RH relies on Windows being able to support a runtime Access database which it should. The problem is, I think, with Windows rather than RH.

Paste your error message into Google. It seems to get a lot of hits.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2009 1:47 PM   in reply to BT_Jans

I upgraded from RoboHTML version 5 to version 8 via the trial download of 8. When I attempted to open a RH5 project into RH8, this error message appeared. Ran the fix described and Success!

The whole process:

What I  did:
    Step 1. Uninstalled  RoboHelp 5 and the two patches to RoboHelp 5.
    Step 2. Installed  RoboHTML 8.
    Step 3. Start  RoboHTML 8, typed in the serial number at the prompt. RH8 should display.
    Step 4: Floundering.  I tried opening an existing RH5 project in RH8 and I got an error, "Unable to  initialize DAO/Jet db engine." I also found that I was unable to create a help  project from scratch. This told me that it was an installation problem, not a  file import problem.
    I went into Control  Panel>Add or Remove Programs, chose Uninstall, then when offered the option  to validate the install I chose that radio button. Process ran. Received message  that the validation was successful.
    I then downloaded  RoboHelp again and re-installed... still didn't work, so I checked the forums  and found Step 5. I'm thinking that you can skip the floundering step and go  directly to Step 5.
    Step 5. Ran patch as  follows:
        Click on Start and then on Run. Paste  the following into the run text box:
        Regsvr32.exe /u  C:\progra~1\common~1\micros~1\dao\dao360.dll
        Click the OK button.
        Alert message  should display that registering the DLL succeeded.
        Click Start and then Run again, and  paste the following into the run text box:

Regsvr32.exe  C:\progra~1\common~1\micros~1\dao\dao360.dll

and click OK
        Alert message should display that registering the DLL succeeded.

Step 6:  Success! Once I followed these steps, I could then start a new project  from scratch in RH8 and also import an existing online help project from RH5  into RH8.
    Before  importing any existing RH5 help into RH8, be sure to make a ZIP and put it  somewhere safe, just in case things blow up. It shouldn't, but a backup is cheap  insurance.
    Note that once  you open the RH5 project, you won't be able to open it in RH5  again.
    NOTE: RH8  looks far more like Dreamweaver CS4 than like RH5. There is going to be a  learning curve on this one. I don't even immediately see how to define my TOC...  I'm sure it's there, it's just hiding.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points