Skip navigation
X-Filed&Paranoid
Currently Being Moderated

How to Block Yahoo

Jan 29, 2008 7:21 AM

Each time I goto Yahoo, not surprisingly, their server deposits crap on my computer. I can block most 3rd party junk using Hosts and other restrictions, but recently found that Yahoo logon data isn't entirely erased with the normal WinXP Internet Properties/ClearTemp process. Sometimes, even after doing that AND running CCleaner, some sort of persistent cookie remained behind. Turned out, the info was stored in-

C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXX\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\2KWC7G\login.yahoo.com\loginCache.sol
C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXX\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\macromedia.com\support\flashplayer\sys\#login.yahoo.com\settin gs.sol

I was P-O'd. The only way I see to possibly block Yahoo is to go through Adobe's ridiculously cumbersome on-line settings manager, not exactly "convenient" when I hop on and off Yahoo a dozen times a day. Since on rare occasions, Flash is needed to view a yahoo news feed, my sloppy workaround's been to use Add/Remove to delete Flash. I can't figure out which settings box or combination of settings it takes to block (or temporarily unblock) Yahoo without crippling the many game sites I come across that use Flash. Since I don't have a list of "trusted" sites, it'd be far easier to just keep a BLOCK on YAHOO except when absolutely necessary. As far as I can tell, Adobe's provided a way to add "trust" a specific site, but no way to "BLOCK" a specific site from opening a settings.sol file.

Thanks for any help!

While I'm ranting, if anyone from Adobe's listening... if you were ETHICAL, you'd reset the Google ToolBar default install setting to automatically OPT OUT, not the sleazy default OPT IN currently practiced.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)