• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text on ActionScript 3.0

New Here ,
Jan 26, 2009 Jan 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't seem to have much success with this method of exchange, (so far zero success rate). I would be grateful for any information on books available on ActionScript CS3. All the books I have found are on previous versions.
Books can be ordered in local stores. Online purchase is a problem at the moment.
hopeful
TOPICS
ActionScript

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to those that tried to help with multidimensional Arrays and all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Essential AS3 by Colin Moock is great.

--
Dave -
www.offroadfire.com
Head Developer
http://www.blurredistinction.com
Adobe Community Expert
http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave I will try and find a copy. Do you know if it has a good section on functions, I'm trying to modify an existing one to pass information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,
I have found a store that will order in the book. I'm crossing my fingers that it answers some of my questions. $(AUS)115-120 to anyone else interested ISBN:0596526946-10 (not sure about the last 10). Apparently it is in stock at the suppliers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like its too late, but I'd also add a recommendation for the "Actionscript 3.0 Quick Reference Guide". One of its authors is often seen in the forums here: David Stiller.

I think if you have a reasonable background in as2 and are now focusing on making the change to as3, this book can be particularly helpful for 'how do I do things differently now?'. You didn't say what your starting 'state' was in terms of background knowledge; whether you're making the move from as2 to as3 or starting afresh.

Probably too late, but you can see the differences in TOC headings here:

Essential AS3:
http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&id=gUHX2fcLKxYC&dq=essential+actionscript+3&printsec=frontcover&...

AS3 quick reference
http://books.google.com/books?id=syHmFLMd-k4C&printsec=frontcover&dq=actionscript+3+quick+reference&...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2009 Jan 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave
Thanks for your help so far. I have done a six month course in Flash (CS2) and the same for ActionScript (CS3). Apart from that I have created projects for other purposes using Flash, because it seemed the best approach, so I'd say I'm a relative beginner. I am trying to complete a number of projects, currently, but have a few problems which have stopped progress for the moment. I've tried internet with varying success and this forum, unfortunately with none. Finding the balance between context and minimising inserted code is the main problem. For example, yesterday I asked how one could modify an existing (void) function, to exchange information with an outer function. The person that replied, told me I didn't need to nest functions and from what I saw of the reply, showed me how to remove the nesting, which I had done deliberately. I really don't know what I did, to give the impression that I needed that information. I just ended up a bit confused as to how the situation occurred. I haven't been able to find information on how to set up an program generated indexed multidimensional array, (though I can create one from code, i.e. keyed data). The problem is loading program generated data. Another problem is reseting a ActionScript created Combo box. I thought the last attempt was close, but got an "undefined function" error, which suggested that I might need to import addition code e.g. fl.controls.???, but I don't really understand what controls apply to what code. So information on that would be useful. Sending input data to a sharedObject is easy, but output data not so. Finally, exchanging data between different frames (Actionscript CS3) is needed in my current menu project, but I don't know how to do that and wonder if it is really necessary to send the data outside Flash, to achieve that aim. I would have hoped Flash would be more self contained.
I don't have a lot of programming experience, though I have developed basic HTML /CSS webpages, a flash webpage and have a Maths degree, so I understand basic mathematical concepts. At the moment I'm finding the hold-ups somewhat frustrating. I just haven't been able to break through, what I might have considered moderately basic problems for an experienced programmer. I guess the problems are more difficult to resolve than I anticipated. There are more issues, but that should suffice.
I was able to pass on the reference information you provided to another new user on this site. As well as a title on Flash which I found useful. So hopefully they may be able to advance a little themselves.
If you have any suggestions on how I might advance, all information will be gratefully received.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2009 Jan 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
PS - Effective interaction with other users on this forum is hampered by the fact I'm 12 hours out of sync with America. So I give up a night's sleep to be able to respond in real time. Thus failures are even more frustrating, as I not only don't resolve the problem, but have to work nearly 24 hours without sleep. Not good, when one has assignments to complete. Hopefully, the titles you have provided will help overcome this problem.
Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines