Skip navigation

Where were you? (part four)

Mar 7, 2007 3:32 AM

Latest reply: John Joslin, Apr 9, 2009 11:36 AM
Replies 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 5, 2009 3:56 PM   in reply to Ramón G Castañeda

What Ramón says.

This really needs a rethink and rework. Particularly the bit about returning to where we left off.

I have a description for this - it begins with S, ends with HIT, and there's nothing inbetween.

A thread that is all about people showing photos of how they live without any previews or photos displayed (other than those that Adobe claims ownership of) is pretty bloody pointless, d'you think?

No Pixentral previews? Why on earth not? Looks totally sterile and boring.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2009 4:18 PM   in reply to Fred Nirque

People are welcome to grumble here, or wherever among themselves, as they like... but it's not likely to get a lot of attention unless you do it in the comments forum or, if more important, the test forum within it. http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 6, 2009 1:46 AM   in reply to Fred Nirque

Fred Nirque wrote:

No Pixentral previews? Why on earth not? Looks totally sterile and boring.

Pixentral works fine.

Picture hosted by Pixentral

( This image shows an embarrasing bug in Adobe's Garamond Premier Pro font)

You have to cretae an HMTL box first, through the ">>" insert icon in the Edit bar.  Then paste the HTML text in the box.  Finally remove the slash (/) between the second quotation mark and the first >, right before < img alt.

Older links have to be re-linked, which I don't see happening anytime soon. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2009 2:12 AM   in reply to Ramón G Castañeda

http://www.pbase.com/ho72/image/107780205/medium.jpg

Well, that worked, but meh.... this place makes Opera (the fastest browser I've used) run like a slug through glue at times. I'll try Flash Blocker and see if that helps...

Test 2

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/9621/dsc2304si5.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2009 3:03 AM   in reply to Ramón G Castañeda

It was all the earlier previews that I was referring to. Pretty much the whole previous 2.5k posts in Part 4 make little sense now. Even if the actual Pixentral image has long since expired, at least the previews gave some idea as to what was being talked about.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2009 4:16 AM   in reply to shoot me now-d3u3se

Oh man, this is a joke, right?

First this "new and improved" forum sits firmly in the left 3/4 of my modest 15.4" laptop screen, wasting 1/4 at right with a useless checkered background, then any images posted that are wider than one half the screen have to be scrolled???? Geez, this takes me back to my 1993 Mac llci and its 12" screen, although that used the space better....

Yup, it's just an April Fools joke a few days late, I get it....

Y'know, if it was good I'd be praising the heck out of it, but if the geniuses responsible for this shoddy disaster can't see it for being just that, I guess there really is no hope for us mere mortals.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2009 7:21 AM   in reply to Fred Nirque

You guys are so silly with your work arounds just put your copyright notice on the imageand you'll be fine.

This is the new Yankee Stadium.

YS_050409-1429a.jpg

This was sort of like a design did in school for a guest intstructr who taught at the graduate school at yale.

They thoght the design which was all text and had color looked like Jean Cocteau. The text was Jean  cacteau Speaking

and wassupposed to be an announcement for a lecture. Some of the tectext was colored.

Two years later one of his students or perhaps it was a colleague or it was he himself designed a poster that appeared to be based on mygraphic concept, the poster was quite well known at the time. I also proposed a similar approach for a 24 page poster, that is a billboard size poster,

Where the four color process dots where actually high contrast images of peoples faces instead of dots and that made up the image of another photo.

But that was at work and they where and they had no imagination whats so ever.

I guess to day this might not be so difficult to make happen the do things like it with the images making images which was another proposal I had made but even that they said was too expensive. I thought the publicity fordoing such a thing in 1966 woud have been far more valuable then say $100,000 which many, many. many times more then it would have cost.

Believe this r not even back then spending $25,000 for some photographs for an ad series was nothing to even blink at it was quite common to spend many times that amount. I do not know about now but I heard that seeral annual reports I had worked on had budgets of over $50,000 for the photography, the photographer was sent all over the world. That was more like 1969.

Today they scream about $2,500. imagine and they want the rights to yur copyrightaswell.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2009 12:59 PM   in reply to DorothyK@Adobe

DorothyK@Adobe wrote:

People are welcome to grumble here, or wherever among themselves, as they like... but it's not likely to get a lot of attention unless you do it in the comments forum or, if more important, the test forum within it. http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments

And MUCH good that has done!

We have all been telling you, since we saw the first glimmer of this disaster that it would NOT fly (and YOU Dorothy in particular) refused to listen.

You have been a staunch defender of this appalling new format and have encouraged and abetted the developers into this time and space wasting monster filled with juvenility such as avatars and points for correct answers plus your cohort of supporters (all wearing their pompous and un-merited "Community Expert" badges when most of them appear to be "experts" in very little).

Basically, the people who have buldozed us into this new Format, and drunk the Jiveade, (and strutted through the Test Forum as a Cheer Leader as you did Dorothy) have killed the Forums — and I hope that you are pleased with yourselves.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2009 1:11 PM   in reply to Ann Shelbourne

Who is Dorothy K and since when is anyone connected with Adobe an expert at photogaphy!

Points huh! I guess everyne can figure out what I am thinking in this regard!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2009 1:24 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Dorothy K is in charge of a cohort of about 200 people who have been labelled "Community Experts" in return for acting as Adobe Shills around the world.

They get a couple of Beanos a year, some free softwear and these worthless badges so that they can feel important.

But the "Community Experts" that I have seen so far appear to be expert in very little!

Dorothy has admitted in the past to being employed in Forum Relations but to having very little experience in using Adobe Applications.

If she wants to contribute to this forum, I would suggest that she posts some of her photographs so that we all may judge just how much EXPERTISE she actually possesses.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2009 2:04 PM   in reply to shoot me now-d3u3se

Be very careful that you do NOT post any photographs of value directly onto Adobe's Servers (which is what happens if you click the Camera Icon to "Insert Image") because Adobe have granted themselves the Rights to full usage of your images in perpetuity — without payment to you.

Always post using a Link to an external Server or to pixentral — and mark your images as "Copyright".

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2009 2:17 PM   in reply to Ann Shelbourne

Dorothy or any community expert has to make it clear as what their relations with adobe is and what here agenda is a well.

It is not sufficient to have a label of a deceptive nature such as community expert if you are in fact a public relations entity motivated by

rewards for not speaking your mind but instead speak for the established policy of those who employ you or give you rewards.

It should be clear what she and other community expert post are not from users and not from people who intend to be users but rather then from people who have been train to express the official policy of Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2009 4:29 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Wade,

I think you covered the stadium quite well. You can take that either way.

Just about burst out laughing on that one.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2009 8:25 PM   in reply to Silkrooster

Just trying to protect my rights, but if you look really close you can see the beautifu limestone they used to construct the facade.

Well if you can't see it take my word it is beautiful…no really!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2009 10:27 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Have to admit, that makes it quite difficult to crop out the watermark.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2009 11:07 PM   in reply to Silkrooster

Well since I am a strong believer in share i have a template I can post if anyone is interested!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2009 11:08 PM   in reply to Ann Shelbourne

Well, that does it for me. This is hopeless, and along with many others I've seen express similar sentiments, I really couldn't be bothered with this abominably slow, inefficient, illogical, image unfriendly, hard to read and space-wasting "improved" forum. As I've noted elsewhere, I've got better things to waste my time on.

Thanks all for making this one of the longer running threads on the forum, I've really enjoyed the images and stories, and fervently hope that some stalwarts carry this thread on past its fourth birthday and into its fifth year.

See you around.....

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2009 11:11 PM   in reply to Fred Nirque

Sorry to hear that Fred, but I totally understand.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2009 12:00 AM   in reply to mrsdu

Fred,

it's hard to understand how anyone could possibly think this is an improvement, but it's the terms that make it so stupid. It's obvious that Adobe, or whoever is really in charge here doesn't give a crap about the free exchanges of information (and images that illustrate so many points). I guess that they just don't get it - whatever IT is, and probably never will.

If you ever get to L.A. let me know. It'd be a pleasure to show you around. And obviously if I get to your parts. Keep up the great work.

Peter

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2009 3:16 AM   in reply to p_d_f

So is P_D_F Peter Figen?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2009 8:30 AM   in reply to John Joslin

Thems are my initials John. Imagine my surprise when I got my first computer to find all these files named after me. Actually the whole naming convention only came about after the system here refused to recognize the email address and password on file, so I finally had to just make up a fake email with a completely different password and different username. I did want to use simply pdf but that apparently wouldn't fly. In any event, this new format sucks in so many ways that I see the activity level slowing down to a virtual crawl. At that point it really will be dead. Maybe that's what Adobe had in mind all along. Self sabotage.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2009 9:10 AM   in reply to p_d_f

Maybe that's what Adobe had in mind all along. Self sabotage.

Probably so

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2009 3:35 PM   in reply to Cindy-

I *really* don't want to lose the friendships/contacts/information sharing/photo sharing  we have here.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2009 4:16 PM   in reply to greenjumpyone

Have you seen when someone has posted an attached jpeg to this new forum, how painfully slow it takes to animate up to a full view, and how it takes several seconds to re-animate back to its thumbnail when you close it. Maybe there's a preference for that functionality somewhere, but it's really close to unbearable.

I suspect that we'll all get along just fine without this forum and maybe be a small bit more productive to boot.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 7, 2009 4:20 PM   in reply to p_d_f

>>I suspect that we'll all get along just fine without this forum and maybe be a small bit more productive to boot.

perhaps, but will it be as much fun? 

|
    Mark as:
  • Ramón G Castañeda
    11,247 posts
    Jul 27, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 7, 2009 8:43 PM   in reply to p_d_f

p_d_f wrote:

… an attached jpeg to this new forum, how painfully slow it takes to animate up to a full view, and how it takes several seconds to re-animate back to its thumbnail when you close it. Maybe there's a preference for that functionality somewhere

Not a preference but a workaround:  Command-Click to open the image in a new browser tab.  It opens instantaneously at 100% in the new tab.

"Command-Click" is Mac centric because I'm asumming p_d_f is Peter.  It's Control-Click on a Windoze box. 

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2009 9:20 AM   in reply to Ramón G Castañeda

"Where was I"?

Researching for, and finding, a "Better Party Down the Street"!

Entirely due to the unusability of the New Adobe Forums I went hunting, and found, a better place for photographers to hang-out:

I have joined NikonGear — and I am going off to Swaziland to shoot lions with them (really!) — so I am afraid that my input here probably will be very infrequent from now on.

http://nikongear.com/nef/pages/african_photo_safari_2009.php

What we had here was very special and it is incredibly sad that the stubborn stupidity and sheer pig-headness of the Adobe Forums Development team has wrecked it for us.

Actually, purely selfishly, I suppose that I should be rejoicing that Adobe have done this because I would never have found nikongear.com if I hadn't been so angry with Adobe — and I wouldn't have known about the Swaziland Safari that I am so thrilled to be going on.

I have very much enjoyed being with you all here since this Forum was founded; and am grateful to so many of you for so much — especially for the fact that I wouldn't even have my Nikon D3 if it hadn't been for this place … and Wade's bad influence in particular!

I probably should bring a few lions home with me to devour the people who have been responsible for destroying these forums!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2009 10:32 AM   in reply to Ann Shelbourne

Ann,

I'm so excited and jealous over your Africa Photo Safari. I wish I could go with you! Please be sure to bring home a lion cub... and if you can't get him by Customs, then at least bring me a picture. :-)

You will be missed in these parts. You know how much I appreciate you! But we will be in touch either way... as we usually are... email, phone... Florida.. NY... Anyway, you know you are loved here!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2009 10:55 AM   in reply to Ann Shelbourne

Well technically speaking any photos Ann takes on the Safari are really my copyright since I am the inspirational source of
    her purchase and use of the camera since I pointed out all of the possibilities and advantages of the D3, and for that matter I beieve I may even planted the idea of going on a safari with the D3.

If you take that into consideration then actually Ann deserves no credit at all all she is doing is executing my inspirations and ideas.

If she ends up taking credit and claims a copyright for the images she brings back then she would be as guilty as Adobe is for usurping the proper rights of another individual, that being me .

All I can say is how dare you!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2009 8:09 AM   in reply to Ozpeter

Just experimenting. This PDF was my first exercise in InDesign after I bought it.

(Yes, some have seen it before, I'm just trying the new forum's facilities!)

Edit: I see, it doesn't opnit in the browser

Attachments:

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2009 8:46 AM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Copyright by Osmosis? There's a concept!

Apparently there are still four spaces on the Safari trip and anyone (you don't have to be a member of NikonGear) is welcome to join the trip.

While you don't HAVE to be a photographer, the six of us who are going are all photographers from different parts of the world — so non-photographers would have to be able to put up with that!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2009 8:50 AM   in reply to John Joslin

It depends on the Browser.

If you have the PDF add-on in Firefox and click on your PDF icon; the PDF downloads to your desktop and then opens automatically in a new FF window.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2009 11:36 AM   in reply to Ann Shelbourne

Ann Shelbourne wrote:

It depends on the Browser.

If you have the PDF add-on in Firefox and click on your PDF icon; the PDF downloads to your desktop and then opens automatically in a new FF window.

OK Thanks.

I won't bother though. My FF is laden down with add-ons despite regular chucking out sessions.

|
    Mark as:
1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)